Very nearly almost dropped the bike

Bender

I think it's in the huff with me, was having a re arrange and was rolling it backwards, which I've done plenty of times.

Somehow I managed to lean it too far to my right and had my foot too close to the bike, first thought was leg, second was feck the leg the plastics are going to be history, this was at about 20deg from vertical, by 30deg I had noticed the wheelie bins and where my head was going to end up between them, at 40 I had managed to get my right foot further out, I gave up noticing the angle now and was watching the bar end on its inexorable meeting with concrete.

It's a bloody good job I'm reasonably fit and have some semblance of strength and long legs, I managed to hold it before hitting the deck and with one leg haul the bloody thing upright whilst remaining on it, it's safe to say this was not without consequence, I've straind something in the groin and I'm at complete loss as to why and how but I've got a huge bruise on my left knee.

All I can presume is that on the down journey I twisted and clamped the frame as I pinned it to my other leg.

I guess lifting 50kg boilers onto walls has some rewards.

Any save is a good save! :D

Hope the knee recovers though!

My new bike is about 50kg lighter than the old 1 :thumb:

(wish the same could be said for the rider :lol: )

I still don't think I could pick it up though!(250kg)

Not only the weight, but centre of gravity. Sports bike may by lighter but with higher centre of gravity is easier to flick over and more difficult to lift it up than much heavier cruiser.

I’m an advocate for getting off the bike and walking it backwards.

Too much risk in paddling.

Loose gravel under foot, adverse camber, dip in the ground just at the wrong moment. Just a few things that conspire against you. That and the fact that I only have an inseam of 29” :lol:

I dropped my first bike a couple of times while paddling so went back to how I was taught to manoeuvre the bike on my lessons and have not dropped one since.

That was back in 2006.

The bike falling off the side stand is a different matter 🤬

Glad you saved it. Hope the injury is not too bad the next day.

Unfortunately it has to go past a car and I have to be on the bike as there is no room to push it, I don't have room past it to turn it so riding it down is out.

This is something I'm about to amend today, there are old gates I have been going to cut up in front of the car, I've put it off for some time, it's now gone to top of list, I should be able to gain 4ft behind it then.

Loose gravel under foot, adverse camber, dip in the ground just at the wrong moment. Just a few things that conspire against you. That and the fact that I only have an inseam of 29” :lol:

That's me too. I dropped my last K1200s twice. Once in the Pyrenees while paddling backwards on gravel and then at a campsite in France doing the same on wet ground, that ended in a couple of broken ribs. I'd had a Fireblade before that and it was light but the BMW was so heavy and I underestimated that.

These days, I just get off and move the bike holding one bar and the grab rail. Haven't dropped it yet (fingers crossed).

It's tricky when you need to move in confined spaces or on bad surfaces. Our drive is large but it is on a downwards slope and after bad weather covered in gravel that washes off the road. I've had a couple of near misses recently when I've lost footing on the gravel. Once they start to fall you realise how heavy they are.

I dropped my first bike a couple of times while paddling so went back to how I was taught to manoeuvre the bike on my lessons and have not dropped one since.

That was back in 2006.

And I would have said the exact opposite . A leg either side of the bike has always seemed to be the safest option to me . I haven't dropped a bike for as long as I can remember .

That was back in 2006.

And I would have said the exact opposite . A leg either side of the bike has always seemed to be the safest option to me . I haven't dropped a bike for as long as I can remember .

It hasn't stopped me doing it, I went over to see a friend who I've not seen since covid started, the parking is permit only so I took the bike, there was only just enough room to get bars between wall and car in their garden, couldn't get side stand down, just managed center, then when I came to leave I thought ohhh bugger 😁

Update on minor injuries, bruise on knee is an mix of red and yellow center is a bit odd as skin currently has no feeling, back is only sore bit at moment, expecting that to probably be worse tmrw.

id like to congratulate you on the save sir...despite minor injuries, at least the wallet remained unharmed :thumb:

Agreed and the ego is left untarnished.

Watch those aches and pains disappear as he regails younger sallow youths of his age acquired prowess!

(Spoken by a man who can still bumpstart a Busa solo lol ok with a hill)

Cheers

Ian

id like to congratulate you on the save sir...despite minor injuries, at least the wallet remained unharmed :thumb:

Watch those aches and pains disappear as he regails younger sallow youths of his age acquired prowess!

Cheers

Ian

you shouldn't of mentioned the hill.... that would of been impressive :D

Cheers

Ian

you shouldn't of mentioned the hill.... that would of been impressive :D

You don’t think Ian bump starting a Busa up hill is impressive?

What did make me feel better about it was another friend who I called to see, he's been riding bikes for 50yrs, he pulled away on a hill doing full lock turn as he started, no biggie for him he rides like he's part of the bike.

Problem was he forgot about the disklock, ended up stuck under the bike, rad cap and neck fooked, tank dented, disk and caliper fooked.

What did make me feel better about it was another friend who I called to see, he's been riding bikes for 50yrs, he pulled away on a hill doing full lock turn as he started, no biggie for him he rides like he's part of the bike.

Problem was he forgot about the disklock, ended up stuck under the bike, rad cap and neck fooked, tank dented, disk and caliper fooked.

Been there and done that. It’s very embarrassing lying in the road with the bike on top of you asking someone to lift it off you. Fortunately no damage to the bike. I never use a disclock without a warning cord these days. Plus it’s an alarmed one so it howls before you can get moving.

That was back in 2006.

I'm dubious about this, I mean I understand the logic but I don't think it would stand testing i can see that in many cases paddling would be, and does feel safer. Having owned 2 litre bikes that were ridiculously top heavy, I would choose to paddle both of these backwards any time, rather than push from one side. I'd be bloody careful, but there's no way I am not having a foot on both sides of a 260kg top heavy unstable weight on wheels. There's no otherway of saving it if you go a few degrees over to the other side.

I've also owned a zzr1400 and that whilst being a heavy beast, had the lowest centre of mass possible, incredible really and plainly designed that way. Manual handling was a dream and I would generally be happy pushing it around. Same for smaller lighter bikes where you can pull it back to vertical.