Feedback on buying my first bike

waltermitty

Hi everyone,

I passed the CBT last week and I want to buy a bike soon, but I've never bought a bike and I'm a little overwhelmed and confused by some of the stuff I need to do, so I'd like to post my current plan to some feedback on it.

I'm planning to get a 125cc bike now so that I can start the clock on the no-claims discount (if things go well!) and then sell it to get the sports tourer I actually want in 12-24 months. I'm also hoping not to be in London by then to get a better insurance premium. I'll be doing the theory test in November and then hopefully the practical test early next year.

I want to get a Honda CB125F, which seem to be perfect for newbies like myself, and it's also the bike I used in the CBT and I liked it. The bike costs £2,900 new and I've seen it second-hand on AutoTrader from £2,200 (2018+ registration, within 20 mi of my address). Given the £700 difference, I'm planning to get it new for convenience and piece of mind.

I'll probably use the bike once a week: I want to use this bike to go on day trips in the country side and also longer tours from time to time. I'd love to camp when on tour so I'll need a top case and panniers to carry the stuff I need. I've done similar tours on a bicycle and, depending on the location/season, I'll be carrying 15-20kg (50-65 litre) in luggage. I've seen the CB125F with a top case and panniers, so I guess the bike can handle it as long as I get the right luggage.

I'm planning to go to the dealership in a few days and buy it then, and I'm planning to have it delivered to my home. But I must have the insurance sorted out before the bike arrives, and before sorting out the insurance I need to know which security devices I'll use. And I'm finding both things more overwhelming than deciding which bike to get.

I need to invest in proper security devices: I live in South East London and the bike will be parked on the road (cul de sac) with no lamppost/etc I could chain it to. So I'm considering getting a Xena XX10 disc lock, an Almax Immobiliser Series III chain+lock and a bike cover. Would these be adequate? Is there anything else I should consider buying?

As for the insurance, I'm currently debating between Bikesure, Carole Nash and Bennetts based on the reviews I've seen (with a focus on those who've actually made claims). Their premiums are in the range £2,200 to £2,400. There are cheaper premiums but those insurers have awful reviews.

Once I've made up my mind about the security devices, I'll buy them, and then I'll look at buying the bike and taking up the insurance.

What do you think about the above? Am I being too naive about anything? Is there something else I should consider?

Thanks!

All sounds good. Cover +chain and alarm + disc lock should keep even the most determined of thieves at bay!

That insurance is ridiculous though 😂 It's more than the year 2 value of the bike. I'd go tpft or just tp - no point paying out more than you'll get back.

I don't know how much of a difference locks make to a policy though - have a look with and without. I'd always be concerned saying I had lock x if the insurer wouldn't pay out if you didn't use it one day. I've never specified a lock.

The above sentence is all irrelevant if you're just going third party though, which I'd be inclined to do.

Would you consider buying a cheaper used Japanese bike if you're only using it infrequently? It might keep the insurance costs down.

In terms of your security that's as good as you can get but nothing will stop a determined thief. If they come with a van they just pick it up and carry it off. Unless you can chain it to something solid.

Don't buy new, get something cheap and crap looking otherwise you will lose it within a week, new and shiny are thief magnets i would spend no more than 5-800 on a bike living in London without secure storage :thumb:

Great bike, I've had mine nearly 2 years and still love being out on it. I'm just over 6' tall, so I put a quite large box on the back to disguise my size on a smallish bike. It does give the bike a bigger look.

When I visit my parents, I chain my bike to their car wheels. Do you have a neighbour or someone local that would allow you to do this with their car?

Shep

Thanks for your comments everyone!

I hadn't given much thought to getting the bike second hand because I don't know enough about motorbikes to assess what I'd be buying, but I'll do some research to understand what I need to look out for and if I feel comfortable I'll probably go down that route. If anyone has any pointers on this I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I'll just start by googling.

As for the insurance, I gave Bikesure a call yesterday and they reduced the comprehensive policy premium to £2k being as I'm a member of this forum. I hadn't considered TPFT insurance but it does make sense. I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable with TP only though. Either way, unfortunately the savings are not exactly what I would've liked to see: The quotes I got from Bikesure were £1,700 and £1,400 for TPTF and TP respectively, so two years of TPTF premiums would still cost more than the bike itself. (These quotes assumed a new bike. I'll check with a second hand bike)

Being an introvert and this being a big city means I don't really know my neighbours :) So there's no-one I can ask to use their garage or chain my bike to their bike or car wheels.

If you can get the space I would get even a small metal shed to put it inside.

regarding insurance, a 2nd hand cheaper bike would drive the insurance down but not as much as you think because your postcode is one of the most expensive in UK and comprehensive premiums are not only linked to the value of the bike.

Why not exploring the option of a ground anchor?

There are a few options as GPS tracking devices that aren't that expensive and easy to install, you can track it on your phone.

I hadn't given much thought to getting the bike second hand because I don't know enough about motorbikes to assess what I'd be buying, but I'll do some research to understand what I need to look out for and if I feel comfortable I'll probably go down that route. If anyone has any pointers on this I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I'll just start by googling.

Here's two to get you going :-)

I'm not hugely mechanically minded (and I would have been the same as you over two years ago) but feel confident enough now to at least look at a bike and make an initial judgement. I also look for things like corrosion on bolts, corrosion on the frame (have a look under the seat, it can hide all manner of horrors) as an idea of how the bike has been stored and cared for, and if the wiring has been hacked at.

I'm definitely not clever enough to spot all things but I'm sure this will save you grief on more hidden things that the likes of you and I don't understand.

And make sure when you view the bike it's stone cold, and get them to start it up.

• Like 1