Social Media

GiorgioG

Hi all,

How are you?

I was wondering, do you post your fantastic bike pictures on social media as Facebook, Twitter, or others?

I'm asking because I would be a bit worried people can see my bike pics there, then dig some information from my profile, and easily know where I live.

WHat do you think?

Have a great day :)

Giorgio

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

I put pics on interweb. I think most thieves are opportunists, or at worst will see you out and about and follow you home to steal later.

I put pics on interweb. I think most thieves are opportunists, or at worst will see you out and about and follow you home to steal later.

Just given you a follow on insta. That birthday pork looks incredible!

Thought i recognised the name. 😁

As does your beef ribs. Smoked beef ribs, my favourite 🤤

Hi all,

How are you?

I was wondering, do you post your fantastic bike pictures on social media as Facebook, Twitter, or others?

I'm asking because I would be a bit worried people can see my bike pics there, then dig some information from my profile, and easily know where I live.

WHat do you think?

Have a great day :)

Giorgio

*note to self: Giorgio has a computer AND a motorbike

*second note to self: Find out his address

I think it's wise to very cautious with social media. It's scary how much information is out there. Of course having a quarter of a million bees around where the bikes are kept tends to help so I post lots of pictures of the bees, usually when they are in a bad mood.

Use common sense, don't post pics that show landmarks or street names where you live, don't advertise when you will be away, saying thing's like you are going on holiday for two weeks, then wonder why when you come home you discover that you have been burgled :lol:

You're worried about social media finding where you live?

Anyone with a bit of knowledge can do it.

192.com have the address from almost everybody.

Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, Lidl, Aldi, Sainsbury etc. they all know where you live,

Your mobile phone operator knows where you live and where you are as long your phone is on

If you travel somewhere and you don't have a few lights turning on and off actuated by a timer thieves quickly find out that the property is empty.

Mobile operators and supermarkets share and sell your information to third parties without you knowing it (remember three scandall)

And you're worried about someone finding where you live by crapbook and stuff like that?

What I don't understand is, why do you have those accounts if you don't want others to find anything about you?

Personally, if I don't want people to know about it I don't share, if I don't want crapbook to know that I exist and poke their nose on my life, I just don't have an account.

I have this principle, if I don't want other to see it, keep it off the net.

I think it's wise to very cautious with social media. It's scary how much information is out there. Of course having a quarter of a million bees around where the bikes are kept tends to help so I post lots of pictures of the bees, usually when they are in a bad mood.

We had several hives and resident bees stolen from my last workplace.

What some people post on social media amazes me....I don't use it but my wife does, one of her friends regularly posts everything about her life, last year as an example, she told the world she was off to Florida for two weeks, look through her photos and there are pictures of where she lives, open invite for thieves! As has already been said, be thoughtful about what you post and what information you're giving out, both directly and indirectly. By indirectly I mean things that can be seen in the background of photos, things that give indicators of where you live. Also review your security settings, make sure your account is locked down so only those you want to see your posts can.

This page gives some good advice on settings and security, at the end of the day, just employ a good dose of common sense :thumb: https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/facebook-security-privacy-guide/

You can have a go but I suggest you bring an array of siege weapons and some Midge Repellent with you . Be prepared for a long wait because I've got a plentiful supply of Tatties , Kippers , Tunnock's Caramel Wafers and Irn Bru . Good luck .

Polish_20200804_091746916.thumb.jpg.dee2a1b069e420f11b0492fea5171b79.jpg

You can have a go but I suggest you bring an array of siege weapons and some Midge Repellent with you . Be prepared for a long wait because I've got a plentiful supply of Tatties , Kippers , Tunnock's Caramel Wafers and Irn Bru . Good luck .

What a beauty!!!! In an amazing landscape!!!!

It's not unusual. When you add the value of the equipment, bees and any honey in there it adds up. But a lot beekeepers spend a lot of money buying in expensive queens that are very calm. It makes them easy to steal. My lot are local mongrels who will attack anything coming near them. Anyone trying to nick them will be in for a world of sorrow and pain.

Cracking photo, brilliant back drop :thumb:

Don't talk to me about Midges. If the buggers aren't biting hell out of you they're plastering themselves all over your visor and headlights!

Washed the car the other day, there must've been a few thousand midge corpses smattered across the nose and windscreen.

P.S. Social Media - can't be farsed with it. Load of pish for self-centered show-offs/opinionated twunts arguing about politics. Got a FB account, only go on it once every 6 months, only to be faced with the same load of scheet and then say to myself "bugger that, see you in another 6 months" :roll:

Use common sense, don't post pics that show landmarks or street names where you live, don't advertise when you will be away, saying thing's like you are going on holiday for two weeks, then wonder why when you come home you discover that you have been burgled :lol:

:stupid:

This is exactly the sort of dumb ass posting facebookians doo all the time, info all over and nice pics of every step of the holiday.

Round here rumor has it they follow you home from your local bike night.... See where you park your bike and afew days later....

:tumble:

I use social media I post in select places avoid giving exact location and bike pictures rarely give to much away...

Luckily home is obscure enough I would be hard to follow from my local bike night. I still don't leave my bike outside its storage for long so there is less chance of it being found.

Of they want it they will find it no matter what I do.

It's not unusual. When you add the value of the equipment, bees and any honey in there it adds up. But a lot beekeepers spend a lot of money buying in expensive queens that are very calm. It makes them easy to steal. My lot are local mongrels who will attack anything coming near them. Anyone trying to nick them will be in for a world of sorrow and pain.

That won't make any difference: they usually wear a bee suit when they take them, not least because it makes them look legit and also much harder to recognise. One of our ex-employees was from the NBU, where they collated data on apiary thefts. It's getting to be big business in some places. :(