For max safety, spend your money on boots & gloves.

This video explains what new, but I would argue all riders should spend their money on when buying kit, based on crash statistics from 1.2 million accidents held by the CDC (US health department).

1 - boots. I have been saved twice from no more than a sore ankle by decent boots, as low speed spills (57% of all accidents) risk lower leg and ankle injuries due to the weigh of the bike ending up on the lower leg. 66% of all broken bones are from the knee down.

2 - gloves. 47% of accidents result on fractures to the hand and wrist as we naturally bring our hands up to protect us.

3 - the rest. Other injuries are head 28%, front body 27%, spine 14%. Obvious the head is the most risk of a fatality, so a helmet is a must and due to changes in how helmet safety is measured, they are going to get safer still. What is interesting is how few fatal accidents are due to other parts of the body being injured, the thorax 4%, abdomen, lumbar and spine together 4.5%, shoulders and arms 0%, hips and legs 0%. Road rash is sore, but it rarely kills. Skin heals faster than bone.

The conclusion is that after you get your helmet, you should push your budget towards decent gloves and boots and not worry so much about trousers and jackets, as they are more about comfort and weather, not safety.

Back protector saved me twice, chest protector if I had one would probably saved me of broken ribs.

Glows, top priority, when sliding every normal person will put arms down, so if no glows, no more skin on palms/fingers, I saw that.

Boots, another high priority, broken foot bones are terrible, and skin rush as well, it goes to the bones.

But I will not underestimate any other piece of equipment, trouser, jackets.

Helmet not to mention as it is mandatory.

Guest Richzx6r

66% of injuries are from the knee down.

I wonder how much of that is the actual knee and not the foot or ankle?

Just ask [mention]Bender[/mention]

The conclusion is that after you get your helmet, you should push your budget towards decent gloves and boots and not worry so much about trousers and jackets, as they are more about comfort and weather, not safety.

Im not entirely sure that there is a huge correlation between what happens in the continental USA and what happens here.

As for not worrying so much about clothing, I doubt this chap would defend that idea.

Rash.thumb.jpg.c86b9dd1e1044816f8aeee9efe7279f4.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

Im not entirely sure that there is a huge correlation between what happens in the continental USA and what happens here.

As for not worrying so much about clothing, I doubt this chap would defend that idea.

Rash.jpg

Serves him right......no sympathy from me

Guest Richzx6r

66% of injuries are from the knee down.

I wonder how much of that is the actual knee and not the foot or ankle?

Just ask @Bender

I just had normal jeans on dohhhhhhh

I hope it feels better soon mate

Rash.jpg

thats going to ache for a week

Rash.jpg

thats going to ache for a week

Especially when he gets to A&E and they scrub his gravel rash to get the crud out .... :cry: Hopefully a lesson learnt.

I have always wondered if there is a correlation between the number of twats on scooters with shorts and triners and the look of the toppings on the pizzas they deliver lol. :mrgreen:

Cheers

Ian

There will be always a relation between what you're riding and what type of gear you will need.

For smaller scooters 50/125cc that won't do more than 40/50 mph you won't be needing the same top notch gear you should have for the faster bikes able to go over 100mph.

At the end you have to consider how much you value your brain, legs, arms and most important how much you value your own life and spend accordingly.

There will be always a relation between what you're riding and what type of gear you will need.

For smaller scooters 50/125cc that won't do more than 40/50 mph you won't be needing the same top notch gear you should have for the faster bikes able to go over 100mph.

At the end you have to consider how much you value your brain, legs, arms and most important how much you value your own life and spend accordingly.

Fair point !

I always tell newbies you cant stop yourself putting your hands out to save yourself as it is hard wired into you.

Therefore gloves are a no brainer, Just think of all the things you cant do if your hands are goosed.

Seems to concentrate the mind lol.

Cheers

Ian

Why would crashing a motorbike in the USA be different from the UK? If you hit tarmac at 40mph, does it matter if it is American or British?

Rash.jpg

The argument is not to spend nothing on trousers or jacket, it is to spend proportionately more on gloves and boots.

Got personal experience of this. When I started riding I misjudged a roundabout and had a low-speed spill resulting in the bike landing on top of my leg. Thankfully I was in full riding gear and I hobbled away with a broken finger, a haematoma (bad internal bruise) in my leg and a wounded ego. If it hadn't been for all the gear it would've been a broken kneecap & shoulder, skin grafts etc. Skidding along tarmac was like being pulled across broken glass. I was shocked at how abrasive the ground was.

Often see young folks on scooters wearing trainers, joggers and a hoody and can't help but wonder "what if..." :shock:

The scooter lot seem to take more risks than bikers. They seem to think a scooter is just a step up from a bicycle.

I know scooters are not the quickest, but they will still easily out run a professional cyclist, so coming off at 30-40mph and putting your bare hand out to protect you is going to hurt a lot. Also, scooters are a lot heavier than bicycles, so wearing shoes is nuts if you have a low speed fall and the edge of the scooter lands on your foot/ankle.

Out and about yesterday and today I saw scooterists whose only protective gear was a helmet. All the bikers had their kit on.

Fair point !

I always tell newbies you cant stop yourself putting your hands out to save yourself as it is hard wired into you.

Therefore gloves are a no brainer, Just think of all the things you cant do if your hands are goosed.

Seems to concentrate the mind lol.

Cheers

Ian

I'm constantly telling the kids I see riding around on scooters and 125ccs to at least put some gloves on as you'll always put your hands down no matter what speed you come off at. They just look at me like I'm a nutter because I am normally in my postie uniform 😂