Any advice on an insurance valuation

bonio

The underwriter has got back to me with a valuation of £7800. Similar bikes with similar miles on MCN are for sale between £8200 and £10200, although with panniers (my panniers were at home when the bike was nicked). Mine had an aftermarket Nitron rear shock, scottoiler xsystem and engine bars - all add to the bike's value, and all declared as extras on the insurance.

Any advice on getting a higher valuation?

It's a while since I had to claim but last time I went back and rejected the first valuation. I pointed out the service history, condition and value of similar bikes. Of course they don't give you what is would cost to buy the same bike, they give you what you'd get if you sold it - that's how they value it. But it's always worth haggling from the first valuation as a starting point.

I don't think the value of extra items added to the bike ever make a huge difference but it's worth making a point of the value of the items added.

Your argument must be how much it will cost you to replace it with a identical bike. Unfortunately accessories and upgrades don't affect the value.

They will always offer you a low value to see if you fall for it. Get back to them saying that if they can get you an identical bike with that money that you will take it.

Ideally find one that you like and battle for the cost of it.

Is pretty much like in cars, you can have an old banger that is worth £1000 and fit 4 super duper wheels costing twice the car but nobody will give you £3000 for it.

Guest Swagman

Defo reject it they always seem to offer less on the first go, I had a claim years ago now but I rejected there first 2 offers and got a lot better settlement. :thumb:

I've said I'd like to reject their offer. They're going to come up with a better figure.

I hate systems like this; why have a process that rewards obstinate ar*eholes like me, and takes advantage of the nice people? :?

Underwriters are gamblers and they hate losing. every time they have to pay out they lose the gamble so then its about paying out the least amount they can. a 1000 payouts, if they can save a £500+ on each one thats a lot of bottles of Louis Roederer Cristal Vinotheque Edition Brut Millesime, Champagne. (old bean)

Underwriters are gamblers and they hate losing. every time they have to pay out they lose the gamble so then its about paying out the least amount they can. a 1000 payouts, if they can save a £500+ on each one thats a lot of bottles of Louis Roederer Cristal Vinotheque Edition Brut Millesime, Champagne. (old bean)

3 bottles on each payout. Not even enough for a good night out. :roll: