Tyre puncture plugs

daveinlim

I've got a puncture in my rear tyre.

It looks like it's from a nail which isn't in the tyre any more.

The tyre is fairly new and the puncture is in the dead centre of the tyre son ideal spot to repair rather than replace.

My bike is a gsxs125 so wouldn't be going over 60 and most 90% of miles are in London traffic.

Would these be suitable as a long term solution? They look dead simple to use. They would definitely do for a quick fix but can I use it longer than that?

👍

Depends on the plugs. there are different systems. I have repaired a puncture and then a few months later toured europe on the same repaired tyre. The tyre didnt need to come off the wheel and I did the repair in under 10 minutes. I have done this several times over the years. If the repair fails (and that has never happened) you just get a flat and need to call rescue as you would with any flat. I tend to do the repair and then monitor the pressure for a week or two. no change in pressure and I essentially forget about it.

Edited by Gerontious

Roadside plugs to get you home then a permanent fix once home for me!

It's each to their own I like to know its done properly with a mushroom plug from the inside as I have seen roadside plugs let go in the past and I have also seen the consequences of a flat while riding too.

I've only ever used them as a temporary fix to get me home, I also ride really slowly with one in. I personally wouldn't trust them long term, however I do know some people have faith in them depending on the type used.

Guest Swagman

These kits should only ever be used as a short-term fix, and you should always seek help from a tyre professional at the earliest opportunity. Riding your motorcycle with an incorrectly repaired puncture or temporary repair for a prolonged period may affect your insurance. This is a quote from Bennett’s insurance.

I rode a YBR125 on a 30 mile round trip into London for 8 years and generally got between 1 and 3 punctures per year. I found a professional repair cost almost the same as a new tyre (£50 as compared to £70 or £80).

I used a kit like this one: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/benson-car-tyre-repair-set-27pc-553991400?type=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pDl1b2s6wIVVe3tCh2pZAd1EAQYBSABEgJFrPD_BwE

You can get them off auction site for about £5. I found they worked perfectly as a permanent repair - never had one fail. there are videos on youtube on how to use them. Last time I changed the tyre I had 4 of these repairs in it.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that was my experience. I wouldn't rely on one on my current larger bike for higher speeds, but commuting into a city, max speed probably 45'ish. I think they are fine.

I blew a 6mm hole in my front tyre hitting a bolt on the M56 during lockdown (was doing volunteer courier work). The plug I used lasted less than a week and I heard it slapping on the mudguard before coming out again. Luckily I heard it and got ready as that sort of sudden pressure loss makes the front of the bike go very funny very quickly.

I've never had a plug go wrong, so that shook me up a bit, and I didn't trust the replacement I put in, even with extra cement. So from now on, it's pro repair, or replace which ever tyre went.

I've always used the stringy ones from the pound shop and never had a problem with them. I've had a couple of them in a rear tyre at the same time for thousands of miles and had no problems. I've only had rear punctures. I don't think I would plug a front tyre.

These kits should only ever be used as a short-term fix, and you should always seek help from a tyre professional at the earliest opportunity. Riding your motorcycle with an incorrectly repaired puncture or temporary repair for a prolonged period may affect your insurance. This is a quote from Bennett’s insurance.

I hadn't though of insurance implications. I must get the details out and see what they say.

I’m a noob but can you use either the tire foam as temporary or how about the slime they put in push bike wheels at Halfords is that suiatable for motorbikes? As I believe that sits in the tyre until it punctures then seals and go hard?!

I’m a noob but can you use either the tire foam as temporary or how about the slime they put in push bike wheels at Halfords is that suiatable for motorbikes? As I believe that sits in the tyre until it punctures then seals and go hard?!

Don't use either stuff in bike tyres. Some products damage the rims. Slime is useless, I tried it in push bike tyres, all it does is wreck the valves, makes a mess and leaves a small thorn hole hissing air. Best to carry a puncture repair kit. That will get you home, then get the tyre professionally repaired.

Don't use either stuff in bike tyres. Some products damage the rims.

You have a gift for understatement.

you may be lucky.. and the paint or coating might protect the metal underneath. or you might be very VERY unlucky...

1910389209_excelrim.thumb.jpg.d3955dbf571ab78dbffe7036428bd4b5.jpg

Little update. I took the cautious approach and went to the garage. They sorted me out on the spot and for less than the price of a repair kit.

Good point and fair consideration - the cost of the new tyre. If you're running cheap ones then deffo get it replaced!

Little update. I took the cautious approach and went to the garage. They sorted me out on the spot and for less than the price of a repair kit.

Good point and fair consideration - the cost of the new tyre. If you're running cheap ones then deffo get it replaced!

I have a decent set of Dunlop tyres on. So they aren't some random Chinese tyre nobody has ever heard of. Aside from the small puncture they are in great condition too. So I'm happy to keep them on for now.

Opinions are always divided on puncture prevention and repair, never the twain I'm afraid. Everyone speaks of their own experiences no matter how out of date they are or how much technology has moved on. No harmony to be achieved with this subject.