NC30 Rebuild #2

Time for another "rebuild" but probably won't do it in the living room this time, and probably won't go so far as to check the mains are ok, but will be having a right good piss about, without actually rebuilding anything.

It begins

P6ScZwul.jpg

Already got the fairing off.

9KsbmCbl.jpg

mXorYG3l.jpg

The nurse is here

BMenWrvl.jpg

Stuff is starting to hang off

0ZFoP7el.jpg

Just keep unbolting and snipping cable ties. Chuck it all in the box.

Hni65l8l.jpg

Foot rest is no longer fit. And more stuff hanging off.

WNym0MUl.jpg

Good on you mate. Have fun.

I like the idea of posting pics here so you'll know how it should go back together.

I've got some pics of how the clutch fits, if you need them.

Good on you mate. Have fun.

I like the idea of posting pics here so you'll know how it should go back together.

I've got some pics of how the clutch fits, if you need them.

Ooof.

Some good stuff from Norfolk arrived but it's staying bagged up for now.

lav7MOWl.jpg

Hmm ally sub-frame to replace the bent one?

QjB6cqDl.jpg

I'd have to turn down pillion requests, it's a bit shorter.

qGsA9MXl.jpg

But, before any of that goes back on there's more that must come off.

I'd noticed a bit of weirdness with the choke, it just didn't feel right.

A bed slat is just the right size to lever off the carbs.

(It's been too long since i've levered off some carbs, ooh the satisfaction of the 'schlpp' as it obliges)

D5pvkC9l.jpg

Hmm, this one is developing a bit of rot.

gFKvAMKl.jpg

nDjZHIPl.jpg

A bit of juice and a wriggle and out it came.

HJOYH3Vl.jpg

The stopper type bit which clamps to the rod had bent over to the side, hmm whoops; I must've given it a bit of an unsympathetic heave at some point. I'll add it to the list, it's a right bugger to start when it's not set up right.

All a bit boring so far, and taking the carbs off has even revealed some blue scabies in the 'V' below - definitely a bit of a coolant leak, which is even more boring. More to do...

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten round to a bit more. Some of the footpeg mount bolt holes were damaged, all the bolts were loose after the incident - they either stripped out, bent, stretched or a combo.

OwhtJn9l.jpg

The top one is pretty stripped out, could do with new threads.

Confirm thread pitch, why not. (M8 x 1.25)

Qwvb4gU.jpg

I already seemed to have a V-coil helicoil thread insert job (ebay a while ago). So that was handy.

9bO6rO8l.jpg

Hole drilled and given a bit of a chamfery countersinking to aid tapping start up.

ifPLiOQl.jpg

Tappy tappy.

r2qrenal.jpg

Chippy chippy.

bEOkk17l.jpg

New oversize thread.

0NlmiUSl.jpg

Hmmm, the thread insert isn't quite full length. I mean it would probably be fine but I might as well stop here and order some longer ones. The kit size is '1.5D', which is 1.5x the hole dimension (8mm) - so 12mm. The lug is about 17mm deep so some 2D (16mm) inserts have been ebayed.

bJQ0ixjl.jpg

• Like 1

Then the bottom one also needed a seeing to. The threads weren't as bad, but a little way in there was definitely some damage, or was it just some crud? Either way it wasn't possible to thread a bolt all the way in. I thought I'd just see if it can be saved, with a more gentle approach to just drilling it out and putting an insert in.

Started by making an "internal thread cleaning tool". (which, by the way I didn't think would work but worth a try).

Make some notches in the end of the thread to allow room for the 'shite' to be gathered up.

TYlQjSXl.jpg

00XZiwfl.jpg

Of course it didn't work because there wasn't really any shite in there to clean out, the threads must be just a smidge mullered in the middle.

Tappy tappy - this time with just a normal M8x1.25 tap. Force some new threads in. This will probably do, hmm we'll see.

T5D51YEl.jpg

Now I can put the bobbins on for the ABBA stand (can you hear the drums Fernandoooo?) so I can get the swingarm out.

CnFflSWl.jpg

Why does the swingarm need to come out?...

Next up was a little play with the carb, which was hiding this:

V4fzIypl.jpg

(I'll leave this for later...)

The carbs then. Last time I gave them a fettle I was new to the idea of removing Japanese machine screws, I was weak and I couldn't remove the top plate that you need to take off to split the carbs. I think I managed to clean them out ok but it's time to do it proper, or is it just because I couldn't let the screws beat me again. Round 2:

6hPFmxSl.jpg

Note the screwdriver and the red T handle ratchet thing are Japanese, but the winning tool was the 3/8"s T bar, extension, 1/4" bit holder and fatty Phillips bit (non JIS). Would have been easier to do this on the bike instead of standing on the carb to stop it rotating - next time.

Shot of the opponent and weapon of choice (see also top right screw which has previous battle damage).

rgz5Util.jpg

Anyway, enough being dramatic, out they came and after some wiggling the plate was eased off the dowels. With a can of cold fizzy piss to celebrate.

e5dxKEGl.jpg

The cardboard in the slides by the way was put there before I got the urge to remove the top plate, to stop stuff getting in whilst I painted the slide top caps.

0mYcNDsl.jpg

CqbPzeel.jpg

Perfect colour match. Ford Metallic Purple.

And AA Yellow for the cable bracket, hung up to dry. (ran out of purple).

sjfdiGal.jpg

So much work to prep for painting and then the painting itself. Really dislike it. And all so that it can scratch off at first sight of a screw. Ideally they could have done with being re-plated, linuxrob style. This will have to do for now, but I am quite jealous of the plating...

Carb rubbers and their clamps. These can be a bugger, now that they are old and shit and rusty, and have always annoyed me. There's 8 of them altogether and are about £5 each in a Honda red bag. Last time I had them off it appears that one clamp was too far gone; I'd replaced it with a jubilee. The slight niggle is that standard jubilees always seem a bit bulky. They have to sit in a channel of sorts on the rubber, and they're always slightly too big. Both the head of the clamp and even the band is too wide. Thankfully someone has done the leg work and is selling sets of 8 on ebay of Tridon (American?) stainless clamps with an 8mm wide band for the price of a single red bagged Honda clamp...

Left to right -> Random Mikalor jubilee I'd used last time. Brand new clamp bought for the purpose. And two original clamps.

c0hGQWml.jpg

The original clamps are obviously a perfect fit (the one on the left is just very loose), if a bit shitty. The random jubilee on the left isn't bad, just a bit wide and the new isn't bad at all, just right in fact.

You can see from this angle that the the new Tridon clamp (now on the very left) has a smaller head as well which helps conform to the diameter of the rubber. You can also see why the originals are a complete shit when they are rusted up. The square nut is held by a piece of the steel band, which just isn't very strong and allows the nut to spin if it has become fused with the screw. A right pain when there is no room under the carb, deep in the V and you're already using long length screwdrivers and a torch to get to it.

tL6sym1l.jpg

So, that's nice to have. It's the little things.

The longer thread inserts came. Perfect fit. Tick.

HjGpclYl.jpg

Started to clean this up:

zHmJ5cjl.jpg

ffskhBvl.jpg

(New cap head bolts are grade 8.8 from B&Q. Can't seem to get anything but stainless or super extra high tensile unnecessary grade 12.9 from ebay... So that was a nice find.)

Will sort this out later:

ULlcHekl.jpg

So bent. (Foot still hurts :'( ):

YpMmqkdl.jpg

Working at getting the swingarm off now:

1oeoFSdl.jpg

Errr, shit. Where's the special swingarm removal tool?! Where'd it go? It isn't with the other specials (clutch nuts, hub nuts, flywheel pullers...). Why isn't it there? Where is it...?? Did I even buy it? Was it real?

Ohhh it's in the special tool box. Bah. In the house. Stupid place for a swingarm tool.

IOX2T3Tl.jpg

(Couldn't resist a cute lickle Jap tool box)

Getting there:

Xbz375ll.jpg

Hang on though, what's all that on the floor?

4Xg1Efsl.jpg

The bean tin exhaust repair has had it, but so has that bit of the exhaust. Another thing for the list.

Glorious.

sAkhCbml.jpg

Nowt left.

6NjHgUgl.jpg

How are you finding the SES stuff?

I've got their hangers on the zxr750 and quite like them even though they came loose half way round Snetterton!

I get all my machine screws from RS Components - they're reasonably priced with free next day delivery.

I bet that was a bit unnerving! Was it mid corner? :D

I haven't actually taken them out of the bags yet, so I can't tell you. Give it another 6months and I'll let you know...

And RS - good thinking, I'll have a look.

I bet that was a bit unnerving! Was it mid corner? :D

I haven't actually taken them out of the bags yet, so I can't tell you. Give it another 6months and I'll let you know...

And RS - good thinking, I'll have a look.

I noticed it on the run up to a corner as I was positioning myself. It was my fault really, I slapped them on the day before and didn't check the peg was tight beforehand.

Luckily I had a tool box and some Loctite with me.

• 3 months later...

Interesting. Not been on in a while and not done a lot to the bike either. I can't really tell where I got to last time. I wonder if there's a way to edit old posts, none of the links work anymore...

Well anyway, at some point the carbs were like this:

062.thumb.jpg.2f8f8c77006f879b783d729dbca5edd0.jpg

And then got taken apart a bit more063.thumb.jpg.e2b04cb44faa15536c7e565a9d6486c2.jpg

And then, because my friend left to live in his French Chateau a week before the original lock down in March but not before lending me his ultrasonic tank (for another job) and he still hasn't come back, I still have have it around:

064.thumb.jpg.b5c316f6b6a5fd62f64b0d75aedf1be6.jpg

That plus a good supply of carb cleaner of various flavours and things were getting cleaned up lovely.

Until the breaker in the house tripped and an investigation was required:

066.thumb.jpg.a85b15b194988da4e01ed5b128f1572e.jpg

067.thumb.jpg.7b149ca82376ca7e5397daf93e767109.jpg

Oh dear, whatever that component was has had it.

No direct replacement on RS Components, but similar was available (took a bit of working out) for £8ish and with an amp or 2 higher rating. It's a choke to suppress the high frequencies from getting out of the box into the main feed. Soldered back in (no pics) and job was a good un with a new fuse, phew. The cleaning could continue.

065.thumb.jpg.7537b710afec8a65858fc8f1747ee6ee.jpg

Edited by smallfrowne
  • Like 3

But then that was all a good few weeks ago now, pre second lock down.

Somehow things weren't in too bad a shape069.thumb.jpg.380f22870e75f41ae6056b12c5c8c719.jpg

What was the dial gauge doing on there though? hmmm

Well, at some point I'd done a big order of red bags from Honda but I didn't pay the £2 each for replacement thingies for between the doins. Maybe it's easier with a picture.

070.thumb.jpg.a9ca331ed737cc16979cd2806b44575b.jpg

The things had perished. They're just bits of rubber hose. £2 each!! 8mm long. I was sure I had some hose in the pile which could be used, which there was in the end, a little snug maybe but not £2/8mm. But, there was a problem, I couldn't for the life of me cut a nice set of 8mm long hose pieces with even parallel cuts, even using a jubilee as a guide. Even using brand new stanley blades, or scalpel/craft blades. I was rubbish.

071.thumb.jpg.c2e898ecadb6ce438a104b880cd6ce20.jpg

I needed a better way.

072.thumb.jpg.42be171676153da24ff0e18053c79759.jpg

Edited by smallfrowne
spg
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, bonio said:

Nice to see you pop in again. :thumb::

Wine or carb cleaner in that glass?

Does it matter which?

Hmm it was a while ago now, but it won't have been ribena.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

Interesting. Not been on in a while and not done a lot to the bike either. I can't really tell where I got to last time. I wonder if there's a way to edit old posts, none of the links work anymore...

They can be edited to show so bear with us :thumb: 

Where was I? Ah yes, my shit hose cutting skills...

I put the knife in the tool holder (I actually needed to put it in upside down) and put the hose over a piece of bar to keep it rigid. The perfect bit of bar just happened to be part of the dial gauge apparatus, a nice snug fit for the hose so it wasn't going to just slip. 

073.thumb.jpg.18a5c8cc27a56a4ea49c788202e0173f.jpg

So, with the knife squared off against the chuck to get it about parallel I could then move the knife into position and use the tool post's height adjuster (thumb wheel at the top) to bring the knife upwards into the hose. Rotate the chuck by hand, turn the knob, rotate the chuck, turn the knob...

077.thumb.jpg.a517a62eedba58d9a80c75cc63c79c3f.jpg

Nice straight line.

078.thumb.jpg.7f87700880e6ca6cd1e5e3c0cbba3082.jpg

Just right. Lathes man - I knew I needed one for something.

Pubs are shut but this Saturday's entertainment is sorted, by bringing inside the 1:1 technics set and trying to put it all back together without looking at the instructions076.thumb.jpg.c2ab20497136fa1f7ecfdbee273f5aec.jpg

With a pal:

074.thumb.jpg.48b7ff409879bc5f797db5c887015442.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Where was I? Ah yes, my shit hose cutting skills...

I put the knife in the tool holder (I actually needed to put it in upside down) and put the hose over a piece of bar to keep it rigid. The perfect bit of bar just happened to be part of the dial gauge apparatus, a nice snug fit for the hose so it wasn't going to just slip. 

073.thumb.jpg.18a5c8cc27a56a4ea49c788202e0173f.jpg

So, with the knife squared off against the chuck to get it about parallel I could then move the knife into position and use the tool post's height adjuster (thumb wheel at the top) to bring the knife upwards into the hose. Rotate the chuck by hand, turn the knob, rotate the chuck, turn the knob...

077.thumb.jpg.a517a62eedba58d9a80c75cc63c79c3f.jpg

Nice straight line.

078.thumb.jpg.7f87700880e6ca6cd1e5e3c0cbba3082.jpg

Just right. Lathes man - I knew I needed one for something.

Pubs are shut but this Saturday's entertainment is sorted, by bringing inside the 1:1 technics set and trying to put it all back together without looking at the instructions076.thumb.jpg.c2ab20497136fa1f7ecfdbee273f5aec.jpg

With a pal:

074.thumb.jpg.48b7ff409879bc5f797db5c887015442.jpg

muttley looks a bit dubious what's it been up to :classic_huh:

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

muttley looks a bit dubious what's it been up to :classic_huh:

Muttley's thinking, what is that clown doing?? If only he gave the springs to me, I'd have all back in before you can say "bonio".