Bonio's new quest for a new bike

bonio

To be honest, I dunno whether to replace the the Tiger or not. The DRZ is a true smile-maker, especially on the local lanes. It's just crap at long journeys: it's not much fun balancing your bum on something akin to a vibrating school ruler for hours on end, even if you do have to stop every 70 miles to refill the tank. I got the Tiger to making commuting to Cambridge easier, but now post-covid, I can't see I'll be commuting very much any more.

So I don't need to replace it, but if I were to get something to tour on ... what?

Requirements: it's for longer journeys, so: cruise control, good screen, not too revvy or vibey at 70 and oomph enough for easy overtakes. Reasonably upright riding position, cos of a dicky neck. Not enormous, cos I'm small and puny. Budget: £ don't care too much.

So here are the ones I'm thinking of:

Multistrada 950S. I've never ridden anything sweeter than this. Some secondhand ones starting to come on the market now. So why not get one? The cost of the desmo service. The short warranty period (2 years on models sold before this year) and the possibility of repairs being very experience. To cap it all, [mention]Snod Blatter[/mention] sent me a blog post of some poor soul's painful experience of ownership.

F850GS. When I gave this bike a test ride, I liked it a lot, but it was over too quickly to know whether it was *the* bike. This probably means it isn't *the* bike, mind: *the* bike always announces itself in the first 5 minutes of the ride.

Ninja 1000SX. Not ridden this bike, but I've had a couple of goes on the Z1000SX, and really liked it. Never took it further because of no cruise control, but this new version fixes that. The real attraction is riding something very different. But I need to take one out for a few hours to know if my neck can take it. Also, it's too new for secondhand models to be available.

R1200GS. Like a dog to its vomit. It's too big, the gear box is made of discarded tractor parts, and BMW customer service can be a sad experience. But the bike rides very, very sweetly, and, unlike the Duke, you can buy extended warranties to help soothe the pain of an expensive repair bill.

I don't expect any of you to tell me which one I will like the most. But any thoughts or experience of reliability would be very helpful.

If the scooter died tomorrow, what would I replace it with? I don’t know... but I do know what bike I would want to test first. Brand new? The R1250RS second hand the R1200RS and in both cases I would budget for extending the warranty. But, from a reliability standpoint. It’s no GS which is a very good thing indeed. Aside from that, I really don’t know. There is nothing in any of the big 4 ranges that appeals. KTM and Ducati are both not on my radar. Mmm. Died tomorrow. Another scooter. The 1100 version, new for 2020 has been made more user friendly for shorter riders. And got tubeless wheels as standard. DCT is a hoot, once you understand that it has to be in sport mode. And... it’s a Honda so you can kiss goodbye to reliability nightmares of the German variety. Go and test ride one. Scoote or non scooter. One clutch or two. Push button gear changes are totally fantastic. Riding an automated gear box in manual mode is great fun. 300 mile tank range in bimble mode is rather nice too. Sounds great. Cruise Control. Seat isn’t great but that’s a minor, easily fixed problem... which you might find is definitely not a problem. from 825mm if honda follow their usual pattern, there will be big discounts and offers in the Autumn. (on all their bigger bikes)

B57AD132-49C1-40C9-9AC3-E4DE6009407B.thumb.jpeg.dfc2cb6f18ce20a5cc5a844783573314.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious

Guest Swagman

After riding one last week, I'd go for the MT-10. Superb engine, very comfortable and luggage options for touring. Also, it's so flickable on the bends.

:D

My mate has the MT10 well happy with it apart from the fuel range is poor he gets to 120 and the fuel light Comes on.

After riding one last week, I'd go for the MT-10. Superb engine, very comfortable and luggage options for touring. Also, it's so flickable on the bends.

:D

My mate has the MT10 well happy with it apart from the fuel range is poor he gets to 120 and the fuel light Comes on.

you can be just like Admiles [mention]bonio[/mention] constantly paranoid about fuel... just think of the added excitement and thrills.

I've enjoyed my Z1000sx but the display isn't great with it being grey lcd on a black background, the seat isn't great either but the new ninja sorts both of these. They are coming up 2nd hand but there's not many of them.

I've ridden a 1250GS and the gearbox is not as smooth but the seat is way more incredible. There is some good discounts through the IAM on them at the moment too.

The best thing is just to go out an try anything you can get on and see if anything takes your fancy. The new S1000xr looks like it's a decent ride too.

MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso. No idea if it fits any of your requirements but I think it looks great.

:lol:

Just read this. https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/mv-agusta/mv-agusta-turismo-veloce-800-lusso-2018-review. Now I know that I need one.

'This bike is a jewel, it’s a stunningly built, ferociously fast machine. Created by an artisan workforce that are as passionate about their bikes as any of us two-wheeled petrol-heads that ride them.'

Sounds horrible doesn't it and as for the price, I always thought two kidneys was excessive.

MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso. No idea if it fits any of your requirements but I think it looks great.

:lol:

Just read this. https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/mv-agusta/mv-agusta-turismo-veloce-800-lusso-2018-review. Now I know that I need one.

Added to my "when I win the lottery list".

Now then mate

Go different.

Im seriously looking at a zx1200r for next bike.

Big miles. Cheap. Fast as. Not to bad on neck

I had one of them! Pulls like a train, well balanced, comfy, good for serious miles but can overheat in city riding. Not easy to come by spares tho, and it's heavy.

Stay upright. All good.

Would also put a thumbs up for MT-09 or CB1000R. Cos that's all I've ridden lately but they are fun machines.

Blimey [mention]Neil M[/mention], you must be made of rubber, mate. Just to sit on that bike would break my neck in two.

I remember reading up on the V85 last year. I liked the idea of a Guzzi, but decided to avoid a model that was so completely new. But now a year on, may be worth another look.

I took the MT09 out soon after getting rid of the GS. I'd done 50k miles on that bike; you form quite a bond over that time, and the MT just reminded me how good the GS was :cry:

I tried the AT out last year. I really wanted to like it, but somehow it didn't do much for me. Same with the VStrom. Perhaps it's a thing between me and parallel twins?

Blimey @Neil M, you must be made of rubber, mate. Just to sit on that bike would break my neck in two.

I remember reading up on the V85 last year. I liked the idea of a Guzzi, but decided to avoid a model that was so completely new. But now a year on, may be worth another look.

I took the MT09 out soon after getting rid of the GS. I'd done 50k miles on that bike; you form quite a bond over that time, and the MT just reminded me how good the GS was :cry:

I tried the AT out last year. I really wanted to like it, but somehow it didn't do much for me. Same with the VStrom. Perhaps it's a thing between me and parallel twins?

No mate.

I'm just highly medicated....lol

When you’ve stood on a mountain top, it doesn’t matter which way you go, it’s always downwards.

This is the problem. Still looking for something higher.