Stopping vibrations to rear view mirrors

JackieOWheels

During Christmas time, my bike fell over due to high winds and it cracked my right rear view mirror. I've finally got round to replacing it today and now it's got a slight vibration whenever the bike is running.

I have tried loosening/tighten the bolt that fixes the mirror in place but it's not fixed the vibration completely, do anyone have any suggestions what I should try next? I read there was these mirror vibration absorber that I could buy but its got mixed results from different folk online.

I've only ridden my bike for a short run today to test the mirrors out but not tried it at high speeds so no idea if it's going to be worst if ridden on the motorway. :| in theory, if it's doesn't get worst, I could probably get used to it. I always do a lifesaver check before I change lane anyway so not completely dependent on the mirrors.

Guest Richzx6r

During Christmas time, my bike fell over due to high winds and it cracked my right rear view mirror. I've finally got round to replacing it today and now it's got a slight vibration whenever the bike is running.

I have tried loosening/tighten the bolt that fixes the mirror in place but it's not fixed the vibration completely, do anyone have any suggestions what I should try next? I read there was these mirror vibration absorber that I could buy but its got mixed results from different folk online.

I've only ridden my bike for a short run today to test the mirrors out but not tried it at high speeds so no idea if it's going to be worst if ridden on the motorway. :| in theory, if it's doesn't get worst, I could probably get used to it. I always do a lifesaver check before I change lane anyway so not completely dependent on the mirrors.

Is there any way of mounting some rubber between the mirror arm and where it fixes on to that may help reduce/cure the vibration

Did the mirror vibrate before your bike fell over ? Or is it worse since ? If the mirror didn't vibrate before, I'd check the fairing mounts as you've already tightened the mirror mount bolt.

I'd second that having had a couple of GSXR's . Have a good look at the top fairing bracket checking for cracked welds that might not be immediately apparent or visible .

I think there was a slight vibration before (after it fell) but the mirror wasn't shaking as bad as it is, I'd just assumed it was because the mirror had cracked. Saying that, it's not shaking that bad, it's just I can notice it more now even though the mirror is "new".

Is there any way of mounting some rubber between the mirror arm and where it fixes on to that may help reduce/cure the vibration

I believe there is a rubber bit that holds the mirror mount in place before it touches the fairing, I did try re-positioning it to see if it was not positioned correctly earlier but it's not solved it. The left mirror has a slight vibration too but it's not as noticeable as the right one.

I should have mentioned that the bike did fall on the right side so the vibration is worst on that side.

I found the same thing when I replaced a busted mirror with a pattern part.

Everything was great but it got a right old shake on at a particular rev range.

I took it off and added a bit of weight to the mirror case (araldited a nut or two in there) to change the harmonics and it's fine now.

Guest Richzx6r

I'd agree with what has been said by the other guys that you should try and check all the mounting brackets and such like for any damage or looseness

I've checked all the bolts on the fairing and they seem tight and secure but there are some cracks on the vents area on the cowling. It must have cracked when the bike hit the ground.

cowling.png.aa27be95094cdbe564848b8afa960419.png

I've tried repositioning the mirror again just there and the vibration no longer moves when the bike is idle, it now only starts when the bike is moving. :?

Has your RF got bar end weights ?

Yes, it does, the right one is slightly bend out of shape.

Edit: I should add that it is stock bar end weights.

Does your bike feel more vibey since the drop ? if it does the vibes are from that event, I'd check head stock bearings, front wheel bearings & anything that might vibrate in the air stream. Good luck :thumb:

Has your RF got bar end weights ?

Yes, it does, the right one is slightly bend out of shape.

Edit: I should add that it is stock bar end weights.

Does your bike feel more vibey since the drop ? if it does the vibes are from that event, I'd check head stock bearings, front wheel bearings & anything that might vibrate in the air stream. Good luck :thumb:

I'm not sure, I only rode the bike a handful of times before it fell so maybe there was always a slight vibration on the bike that I never noticed; I only started riding the bike properly a month before lockdown and by then the bike already had a cracked mirror. I'd thought changing the mirror would have fixed the vibrations.

Unfortunately I've dropped the bike a few times on the same side whilst wheeling the bike into the bike bay. When I mean "drop" I mean seeing the bike fall but my left hand was still holding the left handlebars as it fell on it's side; kind of like slowly putting the bike on it's side. :lol: but really :|