Rubber bits on chain and oil near front sprocket

jedibiker

What a week,,, anyway I thought I'd check the sprocket as I could see it was wet around there. I thought it was just off the chain even though its a few weeks since last lube. But its more like engine oil. What leaks around there? also, there was some little round rubber seals i can't find homes for. BUT .. the chain has little bits of rubber sticking out so could these other bits be O rings?

still no idea for the extra oil.. (clutch return spring knackered too lol)

Chain looks like I've never lubed it so I'm going to say I either don't do it enough or the monkey lube shit is shit. (shopping now for a new one)

IMG_0022.thumb.JPG.88ba7c1c4a183922e85f9f8d05b71ebe.JPG

Guest Richzx6r

What a week,,, anyway I thought I'd check the sprocket as I could see it was wet around there. I thought it was just off the chain even though its a few weeks since last lube. But its more like engine oil. What leaks around there? also, there was some little round rubber seals i can't find homes for. BUT .. the chain has little bits of rubber sticking out so could these other bits be O rings?

still no idea for the extra oil.. (clutch return spring knackered too lol)

Chain looks like I've never lubed it so I'm going to say I either don't do it enough or the monkey lube shit is shit. (shopping now for a new one)

Looks like the o rings are shagged and could be output shaft seal is slightly weeping that would be only reason I could see there would be engine oil in that vicinity

yeah thought that and think some o rings found there way near the front sprocket.. is it easy fitting a new chain or best to go to a garage?

plus so many different prices online from £40 to £130 ish.

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/mc-parts/chains--sprockets_c53/model-specific-chains_c84/jt-525x1r-chain_pid-PM-0068706?v=25707&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfm7OfJnCef5C51XUUiYwoyFWbiyFKo58SzwhCWOg9VcsogJlq4m07QaAkayEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

yeah thought that and think some o rings found there way near the front sprocket.. is it easy fitting a new chain or best to go to a garage?

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/mc-parts/chains--sprockets_c53/model-specific-chains_c84/jt-525x1r-chain_pid-PM-0068706?v=25707&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfm7OfJnCef5C51XUUiYwoyFWbiyFKo58SzwhCWOg9VcsogJlq4m07QaAkayEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This will show you how to change chain and sprockets ...

Guest Swagman

Wouldn’t buy anything cheap chain and sprocket wise, get something decent will last longer. :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Wouldn’t buy anything cheap chain and sprocket wise, get something decent will last longer. :thumb:

:stupid: I used to buy cheap bits all the time and they are made from inferior materials imo so go for something you have heard of or on recommendation

:stupid: I used to buy cheap bits all the time and they are made from inferior materials imo so go for something you have heard of or on recommendation

whos any good

Have a look at the rubber guide at the front of your swinging arm near the front sprocket. I suspect it's probably got quite deep grooves worn in it caused by the chain rubbing . It's likely to be this that has attacked the O rings . That and running without chain lube .

Have a look at the rubber guide at the front of your swinging arm near the front sprocket. I suspect it's probably got quite deep grooves worn in it caused by the chain rubbing . It's likely to be this that has attacked the O rings . That and running without chain lube .

il check that guide cheers.. i do lube it but realise i must have left it longer than usual

il check that guide cheers.. i do lube it but realise i must have left it longer than usual

The biggest problem with O and X ring chains , in my opinion , is that they are fine to start off with but as time goes by and wear sets in , nobody notices . This is because the O rings effectively silence any rattles and make the links appear stiff when in fact they are worn well beyond what would be considered acceptable on a normal chain . I've seen a chain with grooves worn into the pins it was so bad , but at first glance it seemed fine .

Guest Swagman

whos any good

DID chains are good.

Clutch push rod seals are common for going on Suzuki's

Easy fix and usually worn due to crap on the push rod

how easy lol might as well do it if so, but maybe do output shaft seal at same time.. if sprocket will come off, hear they are tough cookies.

how easy lol might as well do it if so, but maybe do output shaft seal at same time.. if sprocket will come off, hear they are tough cookies.

Usually a metal retaining ring with one bolt and it all pops out

Usually a metal retaining ring with one bolt and it all pops out

good to know cheers

whats baffling me most, is one site will say i need a 525 chain and my chain does have 525 on it, then on wemoto etc it will say i need a 530.

Guessing this is why chain and sprocket kits are best?

They are offering a 530 conversion . So long as you are changing the sprockets as well , it's fine . Slightly stronger too .

Guest Richzx6r

chain and sprockets ordered. will do seals at same time.. do i need to drain oil to do output shaft seal?

@Richzx6r

I would hazard a guess at yes as it's an oil seal that you are changing I believe....but I could be wrong

chain and sprockets ordered. will do seals at same time.. do i need to drain oil to do output shaft seal?

@Richzx6r

I would hazard a guess at yes as it's an oil seal that you are changing I believe....but I could be wrong

I thought so but wasnt sure if the oil level would be lower etc. Good excuse to get an oil change in and do it all.

Some sprockets have rubber on both sides its ment to cut noise from the chain but whether you will notice it hard to tell.

yeah seems its how they were sent from factory when new. all good as long as it fits.