Advice on a second hand purchase

Moebius

So, I put up a thread the other week about trying to rent a learner bike but it turns out it's a ball-ache going down that path so I've been looking into picking up a cheap 125cc for a year before moving on once I've completed DAS.

I've found a pretty decent looking deal online, a 2005 Honda CG125 (same bike I did my CBT on!), but with a bunch of mods and fixes on it from the past year (aftermarket exhaust, new seat, new grips, new handle bars, new shocks, new carbs etc.) - I went to check over the bike earlier today and everything seemed in order: electrics are all good, some minor rust but no signs of serious corrosion or damage, everything is aligned, no scuffs etc. plus the current owner has the V5 and MOT history, which I've double checked online - all good...

EXCEPT

There's one area I'm a bit iffy on; he was upfront about the fact that he put a new odometer on and that shows it as having done around a 100 miles, even though the bike (as I've verified with the MOT history) has actually done around 31k. He explained this being the case because it reset when he put the new odometer on, and as far as I can tell it's the original engine but with a few new bits and bobs, not a new engine or full rebuild; but I have no idea if this actually makes sense - would putting a new odometer on really just "reset" the mileage or is something getting lost in translation here? It feels like this shouldn't be the case and maybe what he means is that he did a complete engine rebuild??

I will go back to ask him before making any offer obviously, and I'm not really worried for myself here (he's been transparent with the paperwork and I plan to take it to some trusted mechanics for a once over if I pick it up anyway), but I'm more concerned about fully understanding why the bike doesn't show the actual mileage and being able to explain that in the future when I go to resell it. Could someone advise.

If you buy new instruments then you get the miles those new instruments came with. its as simple as that. an odo from a bike that had only done 100 miles will show that and then add to it as soon as you begin moving. same as one with 100,000. these things break.. thats not unusual. and are replaced. thats not unusual either.

As above. It's not like a car where the mileage is recorded in the ecu and a new odometer has to be synced to the ecu and then shows the genuine mileage. The CG of 2005 is a far simpler machine so a new odometer would only record from when it was fitted. Often a used one is sourced and then it shows the mileage off the bike it came from. Nothing unusual about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrection!

Ended up buying that bike (everything checked out re: mileage). Was lovely to collect and ride it back home (hadn't received my L plates yet so was a bit cheeky and did it without, was just a 30 minute ride so all good).

Also sorted out my storage concern as I don't have my own garage or indoor location - a kind neighbour that has a garage space but no car said I could use his, which is great as we're approaching winter.

Here she is:

https://i.imgur.com/KZWTHqU.png' alt='IMGUR>'>

Quick call for advice: now that I do have my L plates I'm stuck for where to place the one at the front; there's no mudguard and there's no fairing or anything like that to stick it on / behind... is there any fork clip-on mount for L plates or something else anyone could recommend?

Cable ties? Looks like it's been fully hipsterised with exhaust wrap, cone filters and no front mudguard. If you're going to ride all year round a mudguard would be good. Does the rear tyre touch that rear over bumps? Good score on the garage 👍

Wing mirrors might be good as well. Less cool but good for seeing the scooter coming up behind you to steal your bike.

Cable ties? Looks like it's been fully hipsterised with exhaust wrap, cone filters and no front mudguard. If you're going to ride all year round a mudguard would be good. Does the rear tyre touch that rear over bumps? Good score on the garage 👍

Wing mirrors might be good as well. Less cool but good for seeing the scooter coming up behind you to steal your bike.

Yeah, think I might get a front mudguard on. Already got some bar end mirrors on so all good on that front, no way I'm riding without mirrors!

I've only had it out for one ride but didn't notice the rear touching, but I think I only went over one bump and that must have been at less than 20mph.

Yeah, think I might get a front mudguard on. Already got some bar end mirrors on so all good on that front, no way I'm riding without mirrors!

I've only had it out for one ride but didn't notice the rear touching, but I think I only went over one bump and that must have been at less than 20mph.

Looks like it will be a good fun bike, and a good base to keep modding and personalise it. I reckon it would be a laugh down some green lanes as well.

Resurrection!

Ended up buying that bike (everything checked out re: mileage). Was lovely to collect and ride it back home (hadn't received my L plates yet so was a bit cheeky and did it without, was just a 30 minute ride so all good).

Also sorted out my storage concern as I don't have my own garage or indoor location - a kind neighbour that has a garage space but no car said I could use his, which is great as we're approaching winter.

Here she is:

https://i.imgur.com/KZWTHqU.png' alt='IMGUR>'>

Quick call for advice: now that I do have my L plates I'm stuck for where to place the one at the front; there's no mudguard and there's no fairing or anything like that to stick it on / behind... is there any fork clip-on mount for L plates or something else anyone could recommend?

Ebay has this .. https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8OzOjsYAzRiOYBqf3XsL6uzVUCUz7xfy2w5y05kr6xCCe5EWVUt3Q02lY2A_u1DrlBuQTHVtO4PTo6D_0mK9JEC3AcZPXQ3tgibO_-RGjf2NR41B9t1PFl0PPYU266aMMMOjCkUyDV2V-h0vs1l8W3V9L1lxJNjDPhX6-O-tWKykdC75_&u=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&rlid=dd0c1d6aa94f1d94603f422396cd5728

Maybe you could knock up something similar a bit cheaper?

Good luck with it :thumb: Stick a mudguard on or you'll be cover in dirt everytime it rains. I'd get a workshop manual and give it an oil and oil filter change for peace of mind. If you change the oil make sure you use motorbike oil. Car oil can cause the clutch to slip. Lubing the cables and levers can make a big difference to the ride. They get a stiff over time. Make sure you keep the chain in good condition too. The correct tension will be in the workshop manual. Don't over tighten it as that can cause damage to the bearings in the gearbox. Too loose and it can jump off the sprockets. Give the chain a clean and an oil to keep it in good condition. Check your tyre pressures.

Good luck with it :thumb: Stick a mudguard on or you'll be cover in dirt everytime it rains. I'd get a workshop manual and give it an oil and oil filter change for peace of mind. If you change the oil make sure you use motorbike oil. Car oil can cause the clutch to slip. Lubing the cables and levers can make a big difference to the ride. They get a stiff over time. Make sure you keep the chain in good condition too. The correct tension will be in the workshop manual. Don't over tighten it as that can cause damage to the bearings in the gearbox. Too loose and it can jump off the sprockets. Give the chain a clean and an oil to keep it in good condition. Check your tyre pressures.

Many thanks for all the tips mate! :thumb: