Austrian Alps september 2020

Planning a trip in the UK or overseas? Whether you are planning on touring in Europe or the UK use this section to ask about places to visit, stay and general advice.
User avatar
Gerontious
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Location: Misty hills of Mapperley
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 am

rennie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:26 pm
Enjoy! :thumb: I think it's going to be different but I hope it's still enjoyable
Im fully prepared to be underwhelmed by the differences between this year and last year. plenty of people have been and come back and they all say the same thing. its exactly the same just with added masks. And a bit quieter. Its going to be quiet for me as its a normal working week and the vast majority of holiday makers have gone home. perfect.

Off to get my euros a bit later. :mrgreen:

And.. like a fool (perhaps) Ive agreed to do one more nightshift tonight, which is alright as im not leaving for the south until late afternoon tomorrow. I also expect the hotel to be very quiet. It will be interesting to see just how quiet it is. the car park is usually rammed.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

User avatar
Marino
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:02 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Location: Huddersfield
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 384 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Marino » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 am
rennie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:26 pm
Enjoy! :thumb: I think it's going to be different but I hope it's still enjoyable
Im fully prepared to be underwhelmed by the differences between this year and last year. plenty of people have been and come back and they all say the same thing. its exactly the same just with added masks. And a bit quieter. Its going to be quiet for me as its a normal working week and the vast majority of holiday makers have gone home. perfect.

Off to get my euros a bit later. :mrgreen:

And.. like a fool (perhaps) Ive agreed to do one more nightshift tonight, which is alright as im not leaving for the south until late afternoon tomorrow. I also expect the hotel to be very quiet. It will be interesting to see just how quiet it is. the car park is usually rammed.
I’m so jealous, however wish you fabulous time, lot of beer and dry roads. :thumb:

User avatar
Gerontious
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Location: Misty hills of Mapperley
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:27 pm

Finally arrived at the hotel at Ashford and relaxing with a pint of Doom.

Ride down was tedious as usual and not as wet as I was expecting, hold ups for no apparent reason and busy. But anyway. Hotel is a lot busier than I thought. No bikes, and the beefeater next door is absolutely empty. Nobody eating at all. And I’m drinker no4!!

So anyway, that’s the worst part done, relaxing start tomorrow with a 10am crossing and into the Covid no mans land aka France, Belgium and Luxembourg.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

Richzx6r
Posts: 3855
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Richzx6r » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 am

Well I hope you all have a safe trip guys, gutted I couldn't join you for it
Its better when its loaded

User avatar
Gerontious
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Location: Misty hills of Mapperley
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:38 pm

It’s just me. Off the leash with no one to worry about but myself. Currently at SPY and 109 miles from the hotel. Outside as I can’t go in as that’s not allowed. Not been bad so far aside from a bit of rain at the coast. Just having a break before the last lap. Bastogne and then crossing into Germany at Vianden.
53E8CBEE-1564-4A22-ACC3-22220C7C672D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

Richzx6r
Posts: 3855
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Richzx6r » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:38 pm
It’s just me. Off the leash with no one to worry about but myself. Currently at SPY and 109 miles from the hotel. Outside as I can’t go in as that’s not allowed. Not been bad so far aside from a bit of rain at the coast. Just having a break before the last lap. Bastogne and then crossing into Germany at Vianden.

53E8CBEE-1564-4A22-ACC3-22220C7C672D.jpeg
Fair one mate, I was under the impression that there was still a fair few of the lads going with you
Its better when its loaded

User avatar
Swagman
Subscriber
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): 2003 Yam Fazer1000 +2007 Fz6
Location: Torksey Lincs
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 627 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Swagman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:43 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:38 pm
It’s just me. Off the leash with no one to worry about but myself. Currently at SPY and 109 miles from the hotel. Outside as I can’t go in as that’s not allowed. Not been bad so far aside from a bit of rain at the coast. Just having a break before the last lap. Bastogne and then crossing into Germany at Vianden.

53E8CBEE-1564-4A22-ACC3-22220C7C672D.jpeg
Hope you have a great trip :thumb: :thumb: .

User avatar
rob m
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:28 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): BMW K1200S
Location: Surrey
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 311 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by rob m » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:38 pm
It’s just me. Off the leash with no one to worry about but myself. Currently at SPY and 109 miles from the hotel. Outside as I can’t go in as that’s not allowed. Not been bad so far aside from a bit of rain at the coast. Just having a break before the last lap. Bastogne and then crossing into Germany at Vianden.
Via Clervaux I hope! Love that ride into Neuerburg from Sinspelt.

User avatar
Snod Blatter
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Location: Leicester
Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 353 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Snod Blatter » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:10 pm

rob m wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm
Via Clervaux I hope!
Aaarrggghhh :(

Image

rob m wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm
Love that ride into Neuerburg from Sinspelt.
[Video footage redacted]

Stahp :((((

Have a great time Big Man, and stay out of Switzerland and Czech Republic because they've just been added to the quarantine list :thumb:
Image

Richzx6r
Posts: 3855
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Richzx6r » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:10 pm
rob m wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm
Via Clervaux I hope!
Aaarrggghhh :(

Image

rob m wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm
Love that ride into Neuerburg from Sinspelt.
[Video footage redacted]

Stahp :((((

Have a great time Big Man, and stay out of Switzerland and Czech Republic because they've just been added to the quarantine list :thumb:
I'm surprised you didn't join this year?
Its better when its loaded

User avatar
Snod Blatter
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBX250RS-E CB250N Two Fifty TRX850 K100RS Z250SL
Location: Leicester
Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 353 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Snod Blatter » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:20 pm

No spare dosh and still furloughed from work since April so just waiting for them to make me redundant now. Also need money for garage/vintage hifi equipment/"furniture". Couldn't do it.

I thought I'd be alright with it but after MOTing the TRX and the way the nights have started pulling in it really felt like Germany time. Like, really felt like Germany time. Ugh. Have to be a responsible adult this year though!
Image

Richzx6r
Posts: 3855
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Richzx6r » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Snod Blatter wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:20 pm
No spare dosh and still furloughed from work since April so just waiting for them to make me redundant now. Also need money for garage/vintage hifi equipment/"furniture". Couldn't do it.

I thought I'd be alright with it but after MOTing the TRX and the way the nights have started pulling in it really felt like Germany time. Like, really felt like Germany time. Ugh. Have to be a responsible adult this year though!
Fair enough, I know the feeling of being skint, I haven't had a full time job since January
Its better when its loaded

User avatar
Gerontious
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Location: Misty hills of Mapperley
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:22 pm

I came down the N4 all the way to Bastogne. Running a bit late so I didn’t go via the Northampton or Clervaux. But I did pass the castle at vianden and then B50 to sinspelt and on. It’s so nice here, from the instant you cross from Belgium to Luxembourg. Tarmac smooth as silk and just wonderful. Greeted with a glass of benediktiner then venison and mushroom pepper soup. Schnitzel fries and salad and ice cream pud. And that was the set meal. Asked how everyone was. Neuerburg has got off lightly. No deaths. But it’s obvious everyone is taking it very seriously. I had to give contact details or it’s a €10,000 fine!! The school is not reopening. And furlough benefits have been extended into next year.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

User avatar
Gerontious
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Location: Misty hills of Mapperley
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 am

Crossing this morning was bizarre. I was booked on the 12:20 and tried my luck, arriving at 10. And had a 5 minute wait!! Cars went on and filled perhaps 3 carriages and I was right at the back with 2 other bikers also going to the Eifel. Crossing took 25 minutes. Toilets on board were locked. Car drivers had to remain in their cars. No recorded announcement just a staff member telling everyone what’s what. After that everything was pretty normal. Off the train in minutes. So fast! Tunne complex on uk side was as you can imagine very quiet. But once across everything was normal bit more traffic than we’re used to on a Sunday. But nothing terrible. A bit damp as far as Lille but then improved massively. It’s still very much summer over this side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

User avatar
Gerontious
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Location: Misty hills of Mapperley
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Austrian Alps september 2020

Post by Gerontious » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 am

Breakfast. Cloudy and cool but zero chance of rain today. I think I’m just going to try and get hopelessly lost. Set the hotel as a favourite on the sat nav and just follow my nose. I didn’t really think much about what to do here. It’s very familiar but also such a massive region (3000 sq miles) there’s always something new. But there is no rush, been offered lunch, just turn up at 1 if you like. So laid back!!

One difference for the regulars, much faster internet in the guest house!!
1897F76A-3A79-4993-8D47-8969F083571C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

Return to “Touring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest