Licence question - Old licence

Alexhill7

Hi All,

Used to ride a motorbike many years ago when i was 16, i'm 41 now, and had my full car licence since 1996.

Question is, i understand i can ride a 50cc with no L plates and i don't need to do a CBT.

If i do a CBT this means i can now ride a 125cc, question is, do i then have to put L plates back on, or does my licence mean i can ride 125cc without?

I can't seem to find answer to this question anywhere

Thanks in advance

If you passed your motorcycle test when you were younger then it should be on your licence.

If you have not passed a motorcycle test you will have to ride with L plates.

Do your CBT then take a Direct Access Course/test then you can ride anything

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/direct-access-scheme-das-motorcycle-training-guidance

P.S. ... You will also have to take a motorcycle theory test if you want to get a full licence.

Like has been said, you can ride a 50cc moped now without L plates. After you get the CBT, you can also ride a 125, but only with L plates.

its a complicated palava now it wasn't like that in 1980 when i took mine :scratch:

My old boss told me his test was once around the block, examiner said as he'd made it back that was fine, test complete :shock:

I think you had to go around the block twice .. Once clockwise then anticlockwise. On one of them the examiner jumped out in front of you to test your emergency stop!

Donkeys years ago I had the chance of taking my test on a motorcycle combination with my boss as the examiner(it was a guaranteed pass) .. Like a fool I never did it!

I think you had to go around the block twice .. Once clockwise then anticlockwise. On one of them the examiner jumped out in front of you to test your emergency stop!

Well that's the thing. That was the test he was expecting, but after once around he was surprised to be told that as he'd made it around all was good :?

Sounds like he went to the same test station and had the same examiner I had at Ruislip in 1969 😁