Getting a 125 - Lexmoto brand?

NE150N80

Hi all.

My wife and I are just about to start the journey of learning to ride. We’ve been driving for 25yrs, although we are both coming into this with the viewpoint that our driving experience means nothing! We’ve booked CBT booked for for a couple of weeks time. We’d like to get a 125cc to run about on for a bit to hone our craft while we prepare for the Mod 1 + 2.

Looking at 125’s, the Honda’s, Kawasaki’s and Yamaha’s of the world seem to hold their prices well (2nd hand averaging £2,500). I’ve seen a cheaper options in Lexmotos and wanted to get some opinions.

For honing your craft, what’s peoples thoughts on the Lexmoto brand? Obviously, like most things in this world - you get what you pay for, but do the Lexmoto 125s good enough to serve the right purpose of just gaining bike experience between your CBT and Mod 1+2?

Thanks

Lexmoto are fine if you look after and maintain them properly, whilst not up to the standard of the japanese you have to remember that most of the japanese have moved production to china for most of their lower cc bikes, so in terms of quality even the japanese stuff has suffered to meet a demand, although the corona issue has done them no favours there are still plenty of trade with chinese companys, i have a chinese 125 and it has been great and no issues other than silly things through lack of care on my part, if you want to go with lexmoto make sure you employ a strict maintenance routine :thumb:

Sounds like you'll only be using for a few months before DAS so get a second hand Jap. I'm not against Lexmoto they serve a purpose but if you buy new you can kiss a large amount of the asking price goodbye the second you drive it from the dealer. Also if you drop the bike it won't seem like end of the world if it's a old runabout.

A new Lexmoto is around £1900 or thereabouts. You will struggle to get £500 for it even a year later. That is one of the main issues to me with Chinese bikes. Conversely a second hand Honda, Suzuki etc for say £1200 will be able to be sold for the same or damn close within the same time :D

If you aren't planning on keeping it for long then financially it makes far better sense to go Japanese :thumb:

I think people go for the Lexmoto because of the price but also because it's new so it comes with a warranty but look at the service schedule you have to follow or the warranty is void.

6 weeks 500km

4 months 1500km

8 months 4000km

12 months 7000km

Every 4 months to 24 months so that's

16 months

20 months

24 months

Then every 12 months after that.

7 services in the first 24 months or the warranty is void. All have to be carried out by a proper mechanic. Seems ridiculous or have I misunderstood?

https://www.dundeescooters.co.uk/lexmoto-lxr125/

I had a Lexmoto Falcon. I loved it. Materials not as good as they could be in a couple of places but a wonderful bike. I had for 18months and about 6thousand Miles. I loved it all the way through. But when it can time to sell it I had lost three quarters of its value.

If I was starting again I would have bought a Honda CBF or CBR second hand.

I had a Lexmoto Falcon. I loved it. Materials not as good as they could be in a couple of places but a wonderful bike. I had for 18months and about 6thousand Miles. I loved it all the way through. But when it can time to sell it I had lost three quarters of its value.

If I was starting again I would have bought a Honda CBF or CBR second hand.

So from a buyer's point of view that's excellent . You can get one for a quarter of the original price . 😁

I think people go for the Lexmoto because of the price but also because it's new so it comes with a warranty but look at the service schedule you have to follow or the warranty is void.

6 weeks 500km

4 months 1500km

8 months 4000km

12 months 7000km

Every 4 months to 24 months so that's

16 months

20 months

24 months

Then every 12 months after that.

7 services in the first 24 months or the warranty is void. All have to be carried out by a proper mechanic. Seems ridiculous or have I misunderstood?

https://www.dundeescooters.co.uk/lexmoto-lxr125/

This is the main reason so many don't bother with the services and the main reason why they lose so much on resale value, if Lexmoto offered a decent warranty with sensible service schedules it would make a difference on the second hand market :thumb:

@dynax the main reason they lose value is because so many are not economically worth getting through the first MOT.

That is not just about warranty and service schedule or people mistreating them. The materials are not of a particularly high standard and unless treated with kid gloves will have a low chance of surviving.

@dynax the main reason they lose value is because so many are not economically worth getting through the first MOT.

That is not just about warranty and service schedule or people mistreating them. The materials are not of a particularly high standard and unless treated with kid gloves will have a low chance of surviving.

I agree to a certain extent that the materials are not the best quality and most of these are have been bought for 17/18 year olds, who really couldn't care less or haven't got a clue how to use a spanner, but someone with a little common sense and who can do a bit of spannering, these are good enough at the price to keep and run for a good few years without breaking the bank, not eveyone who buys a 125 only keeps it for a few months some like myself have bought them for longterm ownership and use, i have said it before if using one as a short term stop gap to a full licence go used jap, but if you want something for a few years go new chinese and look after it :thumb:

Where is your evidence that they are mostly are bought by 17/18 year olds?

Also the fact remains that compared to a second hand Japanese bike treated exactly the same as a brand new Lexmoto you have a better chance of your bike working in three years with the second hand Japanese bike.

Just because you have the time to lavish attention on your recreation vehicle does not mean all people have that luxury and privilege.

@WD-40 sadly you haven't. @RantMachine will testify how bad the service schedule really is having owned one :shock:

The question is then why do they set such a ridiculously short service schedule? Is it because they know very few people will follow it so they won't have to honour the warranty? Or are they so concerned that it is going to fall apart in the first two years that they have to check it ever four months? Either way it stinks to me.

Where is your evidence that they are mostly are bought by 17/18 year olds?

Also the fact remains that compared to a second hand Japanese bike treated exactly the same as a brand new Lexmoto you have a better chance of your bike working in three years with the second hand Japanese bike.

Just because you have the time to lavish attention on your recreation vehicle does not mean all people have that luxury and privilege.

No evidence as such except that their main target demographic seems to be the younger generation, and i am sure that most people can find a couple of hours over the course of a month to do some basic maintenance, i maybe spend 20-30 mins during the week doing basic cleaning and checks, i bet if they stopped using social media they could have several hours a day spare :lol:

@WD-40 sadly you haven't. @RantMachine will testify how bad the service schedule really is having owned one :shock:

The question is then why do they set such a ridiculously short service schedule? Is it because they know very few people will follow it so they won't have to honour the warranty? Or are they so concerned that it is going to fall apart in the first two years that they have to check it ever four months? Either way it stinks to me.

Probably 50/50

Definitely was always my assumption that they set such a short schedule because the bikes needed it! Between services and bits randomly breaking, mine was at the dealers pretty much every saturday without fail until we had a rather colorful falling out and I started doing it myself.

[mention]NE150N80[/mention] :

Realistically - yes, a Lexmoto should be enough to get you through your CBT. And honesty, in between the breakdowns (and everyone else taking the piss), I had fun on mine! But in my experience they're unreliable as hell, the constant servicing is a headache, and the resale value is pitiful. Best off writing it off and getting the insurance for it like I did! :lol:

I bought an old CG125 a few years after as a run around, paid roughly half what the Lexmoto cost, and had every bit as much fun with a fraction of the headaches. And then when I left the UK I sold it to MrFro for almost what I bought it for, if I remember rightly(?). And it's still going strong for him!

Absolutely would recommend an old used Japanese over a new Lexmoto any day.