Not stainless steel bolts...

onesea

First part is request:

Anyone know where you can get new screws for brake/ clutch reservoir covers? Preferably not stainless.

Next thought is fitting stainless bolts why? they look good but....

Years of experience in boats has taught me to be careful of stainless fittings stainless on just about any other metal than stainless = other metal is going to act as anode...

I had this discussion when getting brakes serviced oh we have some stainless bolts we can replace..

My response was can I have some original non stainless bolts I can replace them in 20 years not the caliper when the alloy rots because of the stainless...

If your going to use stainless seriously consider some duralac, jointing compound. Although becarefull having liberally pasted it over fittings (and me subsequently me, it's messy stuff) for years I have been told is carcanagenic.

Another reason I won't see retirement...

As I have suggested on another thread. I find www.accu.co.uk to have great prices and excellent service and several types of metal.

personally I use SS bolts on the reservoir because of rust.

They are supposed to be removed and put back at least every 2 years to replace the fluid so it won't have the time to seize.

SS will prevent rust and because I use M6 X 12mm socket screws they are easier to handle (in my opinion anyway). They cost under 50p so cheap to replace if needed.

I use SS bolts on the reservoir because of rust.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

The corrosion will still be happening, probably faster not in the stainless steel bolts, probably in a alloy casting somewhere damp in a corner...

Personally I would rather change the bolts every 10 years or so...

Present one that needs replacing, was last tightened by a main dealer...

They are supposed to be removed and put back at least every 2 years to replace the fluid so it won't have the time to seize.

Boy are you in for a surprise :lol: Especially in perma-wet Scotland!

Personally I don't care much at all for stainless, give me zinc coated standard 8.8 fasteners any day. If it needs something different to that (i.e. it's actually important) then you should probably stick with the manufacturer's part..

The trouble with stainless is there are a huge number of types of stainless steel. Generally the easiest to get hold of are A2/304 and A4/316. The A2 is generally not much cop and tends to get brittle. Also all stainless work hardens like a bast*rd as anyone who's cocked up drilling it could tell you. Also it's not as strong as high tensile steel so other than cosmetic stuff I'd not use it on the bike.

You can see galvanic corrosion between stainless spoke nipples and alloy rims or stainless spoke in cast alloy hubs. Stainless and aluminium are on opposite ends of the galvanic series, zinc is close to aluminium, that's why zinc plated bolts tend not to seize in aluminium over time.

SS fluid caps screws are ok with anti-seize. NO for SS bolts holding calipers on though or any structural stuff.

Also get a J.I.S screw driver for those crossheads if you have not already

NO for SS bolts holding calipers on though or any structural stuff.

I think that Pro Bolt may disagree :?

https://www.pro-bolt.com/

Just for my piece of mind I will use 8.8 steel or above, always have. Never personally seen any SS bolts shear but it would take it to happen once on a suspension or brake mount and disaster. You prob get more failures from incorrect torque settings in the home maintenance world.

I've had Stainless bolts from Pro-Bolt holding my calipers on for 6/7 years and have covered 50 + thousands miles. I'm not trying to get anyone to change what they do I'm just giving my experience.

I use aluminium antiseize on them to prevent any galvanic corrosion.