disaster-of-unimaginable-scale

Marino

My bike used a 525. Though as with anything BMW it’s always best to play the waiting game until it’s properly tried and tested. They do have this idea that any spiffing new product gets pushed out and the actual testing is done by the poor fools who believe everything they say.

If it really works I could be interested in something like that. Assuming I could get one to fit or if Ducati brought out something similar. Wait a while until it's actually been tried and tested in real life as opposed to BMW's skunk works.

If it really works I could be interested in something like that. Assuming I could get one to fit or if Ducati brought out something similar. Wait a while until it's actually been tried and tested in real life as opposed to BMW's skunk works.

Give it a few days on Highland roads in the middle of winter, a good smattering of salt, snow, rain, mud and general keech flung its way will put it to the test better than any lab run...

Kneevesy said he doesn't lube his chain and since I read that I don't either. They are sealed with oil inside.

That’s true, however there are still moving parts that are on the outside and unless you can guarantee with absolute certainty that the chain will never rust on any of its non-sealed moving surfaces then you really do need to use some kind of oil. It’s mostly incorrect language: lubricate the chain. It’s actually more about protecting the metal from corrosion, which will lead inexorably to stiff links and a shortened lifespan.

Sounds like a load of hype to me metal against metal and no lube spells wear and rust. :D

Read carefully it is not metal to metal,

“Intended for the four-cylinder motorcycles in its range, namely the S1000RR super bike and the S1000XR sports tourer, the M Endurance chain features a coating that does not wear off in use. Named tetrahedrally amorphous carbon (ta-C), this coating stands between the familiar Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating commonly used and pure diamond in terms of hardness and wear resistance.

Applied to the chain rollers, the ta-C coating reduces friction between the rollers and the motorcycle;e’s sprockets. This is due the the dry lubrication properties of ta-C and eliminates wear.”

Indeed, at the risk of having to argue with people who don't really understand how a sealed chain works, oiling a chain is mostly about making sure there is a cushion between the rollers and the sprocket - a large amount of "chain stretch" is actually caused by wear on the sprockets that effectively make the sprocket smaller. Fit some new sprockets to a "worn" chain and you'll be amazed at how far forward the chain adjusters will be.

This coating to protect the sprockets from the chain makes perfect sense but I do doubt it'll be any good. Maybe in another 10 years eh?