Top Box. Worth it?

There's no effect on handling,

You're not going fast enough :D

On a 125?! Tops I can get is an indicated 75mph...

Down hill with a trailing wind!

75?!? Blimey i'd be well into the redline with that speed.

I thought the red line was just an advisory thing like speed limits. :tumble:

Is it not a target?

f**k knows, I just go everywhere at 40 mph.

I wish TC were here to tell us how to do it properly.

40mph is all I get if I'm riding in stormy weather (40mph+ headwinds) in the winter up here. Which is practically all winter...

Although I did a nice trip back and forth to Forres yesterday evening and managed a comfortable 60+. Until I hit some headwind and topped out at 56 with the throttle wide open...

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the red line was just an advisory thing like speed limits. :tumble:

A friend turned up one day with his first motorcycle and asked me about the rev counter. " The guy that sold it to me was going on about something called the Redline..... So when is it I change gear ? When the needle goes into it or when the needle goes past it ? "

I can only speak from my own experience of having one on my Tenere, I had a 50l top box, it was expensive, but this is what I found:

Yes I could get two helmets in the box, however, worth bearing in mind that top boxes are easy to break into.

I found that if riding solo with top box and panniers, especially at motorway speeds, the bike became a tad unstable, I later found that this can be a problem with certain bikes when riding with this configuration due to air movement around the bike.

Top box was great if you ride with a pillion, it gives them something to lean against and makes them feel more secure.

They're safer than riding with a back pack, ruck sacks have been known to exacerbate potential spinal injury if involved in an RTC, even more so if carrying hard items in the back pack.

I personally would have another top box, I found it really useful and left it on the bike most of the time, above all else it was great for throwing stuff in that I picked up from the shop, and putting the items inside that I needed for work .... it kept everything dry as well.