Not bike related? Talk about it here!
onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 508 times

Driving Standards

Post by onesea » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:18 pm

Now this may raise s discussion.

Unusually for me I have not ventured far in the UK the last few years. In the last 2 weeks I have been from my home in the New Forest.
Up passed London, venturing into Norfolk, and exploring that area up to Buckingham and down. 500 odd miles without caravan and near enough the same without. Once passed London driving became a pleasure again, the urgency in most had gone the cut throat arrogance gone.

Having just ventured back down here I remember how to get through a priority system when you have priority you just have to drive at the on coming car and then expect to have abuse given to you for it.
If you want to turn right against a no right turn sign you just so the whole of the high streets traffic and cause grid lock and give others abuse for not letting you.
If you let one car out you at a junction you can expect to let EVERY CAR out.

This is all in a 20 minutes drive after leaving caravan in storage.

So I am nominating Hampshire and will defend my point.
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

Bender
Has liked: 2147 times
Been liked: 2495 times

Re: Driving Standards

Post by Bender » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 pm

Standards of most drivers is bad and getting worse, people's selfish attitudes in life are carried over to the roads, basically I will do what I want fcuck you.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 1313 times

Post by dynax » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:50 pm

I think people should have to do some kind of refresher course when their licence is up for renewel, if they don't pass no licence :twisted: :lol:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

rennie
Bike(s): Honda VFR1200f
Challenge score: 330
Has liked: 4076 times
Been liked: 1291 times

Post by rennie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:05 pm

I agree that the general standard seems to have gone down recently!
lane discipline is Non-existent!
courtesy is Non-existent!
There seems to be very little care or attention anywhere :scratch:
Ian.
hoggs bonus 1/15
west midlands2/12
Pubs complete
Churches complete

manxie49
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 461 times

Post by manxie49 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Standard of driving on this island has got a lot worse over the past few years, rude, arrogant behaviour, road rage incidents and generally poor standards. A lot of people calling for all island speed limits, when in actual fact most of the accidents are in 30mph zones, and caused by piss poor pathetic driving ability and lack of attention. I agree with Dynax, and this is something I said some time ago, drivers should have to do some sort of refresher training. Just today, older couple in a big 4WD come around a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, this has become typical driving on the country lanes. Thankfully I wasn't going fast, tucked the bike right over, I did blast the horn, more out of annoyance I suppose, and was acknowledged not with a wave of apology, but with a "F--- Off" through their open window as they drove past .... And don't even get me started on the standard of cycling!! :D
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

Mr Fro
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 971 times

Post by Mr Fro » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:39 pm

The country wide driving standard is always going to drop so long as the Lahndaners continue to leave the capital.

I had to suffer the M25 the other week and the amount of driver who clearly had no idea how driving works was staggering. I was forced to flick through the complimentary "How to drive like a c*nt" handbook in the BMW's glove box in order to make any decent progress.

Either Londoners should not be allowed past the M25. Ever (preferable). Or they should have to undergo an advanced driving test with an examiner who discriminates against people from London.

rennie
Bike(s): Honda VFR1200f
Challenge score: 330
Has liked: 4076 times
Been liked: 1291 times

Post by rennie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 pm

Trouble is bad driving breeds bad driving! :D
If everyone else on the road is driving like a knob then you end up driving like a knob yourself to get anywhere :lol:
Ian.
hoggs bonus 1/15
west midlands2/12
Pubs complete
Churches complete

The Hitcher
Bike(s): Yamaha R1M
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by The Hitcher » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:50 pm

I had to drive a Model X into London last week for work, the M4 part was absolute bliss, I chickened out and turned off auto pilot when I got to the end of it though.

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 1087 times

Post by S-Westerly » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Personally I think driving in Glasgow city is even worse than in London. The only advantage is it's a hell of a lot smaller so the death zone is easier to get out of.
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan, what next ???
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1604 times
Been liked: 640 times

Post by bonio » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:52 pm

rennie wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 pm
Trouble is bad driving breeds bad driving! :D
If everyone else on the road is driving like a knob then you end up driving like a knob yourself to get anywhere :lol:
This is spot on.
I learned to drive in London. And although I quit the place 30 years ago, I still revert to type and drive like a nob unless I keep my mind focussed. Doesn't help that I've a nob's car too.
Two Soups

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 508 times

Post by onesea » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:01 pm

rennie wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:05 pm
lane discipline is Non-existent!
courtesy is Non-existent!
Norfolk way was so different, got my misses to drive as I wanted a pint, her verbal of driving was funny....
They did not pull out on me!
They let me in...
They pulled in.

Buckinghamshire way there was the odd idiot, although they soon realised we could be a bigger dick and backed off.... Was wondering where I got those skills then I came home and I realised I am an amateur...

PS London holds no fear your in the wrong lane a bit of argy, bargy and your in the right lane maybe a waved fist or beep of horn.
Try doing the same on Southampton rush hour, it's not a shake off the fist is a cut to the throat. Its not a beep of the horn its a break test and a challenge to fisticuffs....
Then you have the pleasure of "local" traditions. I can expand if you want but it ended with me saying to my mum "crash into the car beside us not the bin lorry coming head on. According to the signs she was in the right lane....
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

125cc
Bike(s): Yamaha YS125
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by 125cc » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:35 am

Too many distractions - phones, social media, radio/music, farting about with the various toys, controls and buttons that festoon too many cars these days, admiring scenery, etc. Too many folk driving about with their heads full of s**t!

The problem is, once you've passed your driving test that's it. You go and do as you please until you have an accident or get caught doing something illegal. That's no good and doesn't proactively manage safety. Most folk don't seem to really think and pay attention to their driving. Most just jump in, start and go, as if walking down the street or jumping on a cycle bike. There's no roadcraft or roadsense. Bikers are different as we are much more in-tune with our surroundings as we are exposed and vulnerable, so we are very aware and proactive about it.

Pilots have to have a check with an instructor biannually. To me there should be something similar for drivers. Like a car CBT? Most probably wouldn't pass :popcorn:
Perpetual 125cc Pilot. I'm slooooooow. Get over it :booty:

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and another ER5
Has liked: 3092 times
Been liked: 3823 times

Post by fastbob » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:48 am

Bender wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 pm
Standards of most drivers is bad and getting worse, people's selfish attitudes in life are carried over to the roads, basically I will do what I want fcuck you.
That's the best explanation in a nutshell . The Driving Test is as rigorous as ever so the decline in standards must be linked to attitude .

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): BMW F800GT
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:56 am

Indeed, the ones who say "I wouldn't pass my driving test if I took it now" worry me. It's hardly something to be proud of. At the time you're taking it the car test is some horrendous monstrosity to pass, after some solid driving experience you should look back on it and wonder what all the fuss is about (there's vids of youtube of people taking mock tests and feedback on the faults they get, have a watch and you'll see what I mean).

daveinlim
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by daveinlim » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:05 am

Driving standards are dropping. I'm in the car and on my bike in central London a lot. The amount of people that have no concept of how lanes work. They cut through 3 or 4 lanes on a bend in the road and then back again. Cars transfixed on oncoming traffic so end up driving right on the dividing line leaving 4ft of empty lane to the left of them.

I've seen people reverse on motorways and also reverse back up the slip road. And I'm sure we have all had the car driver intentionally cut us off from filtering in stopped traffic.

I think a resit of your test every 10 years should be mandatory. People become complacent and are distracted by hectic lifestyles and phones when driving.

Return to “General Chat”