On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

Car/van insurance

Not bike related? Talk about it here!
User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5333
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2176 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Car/van insurance

Post by Bender » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am

Just about ready to collect my new van that was ordered early Feb, covid put a huge dent in the delivery time

Anyhow got round to sorting out insurance bearing in mind I'm going from an all but worthless old van to 145bhp with a big lump of torque, they are charging an extra 30quid, basically just charging for change of details my insurance was just renewed 2weeks ago too and it went down 40, so it's still less than last year's Woooohooooo.

It's through Admiral.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

125cc
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:34 am
Bike(s): Yamaha YS125
Location: Inverness
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by 125cc » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:05 pm

I've always had my car insurance with Admiral and found them consistently to be the cheapest and have good customer service. :thumb:
Perpetual 125cc Pilot. I'm slooooooow. Get over it :booty:

User avatar
onesea
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Location: New Forest/ Hampshire
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by onesea » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:28 am

We got in to them over a couple of years 2 cars 2 bikes.
Then the increasses started and we went back to comparethemarket.
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

User avatar
Six30
TOTY 2019
Posts: 8289
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Location: In Rennies wardrobe
Has liked: 2519 times
Been liked: 4128 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Six30 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 am

Bender wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am
Just about ready to collect my new van that was ordered early Feb, covid put a huge dent in the delivery time

Anyhow got round to sorting out insurance bearing in mind I'm going from an all but worthless old van to 145bhp with a big lump of torque, they are charging an extra 30quid, basically just charging for change of details my insurance was just renewed 2weeks ago too and it went down 40, so it's still less than last year's Woooohooooo.

It's through Admiral.
what van did you get
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
The rule of Six.

User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5333
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2176 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Bender » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 am

Six30 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 am
Bender wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am
Just about ready to collect my new van that was ordered early Feb, covid put a huge dent in the delivery time

Anyhow got round to sorting out insurance bearing in mind I'm going from an all but worthless old van to 145bhp with a big lump of torque, they are charging an extra 30quid, basically just charging for change of details my insurance was just renewed 2weeks ago too and it went down 40, so it's still less than last year's Woooohooooo.

It's through Admiral.
what van did you get
Nissan nv300, mainly for 5yr warranty, transits are becoming very hard work with engine faults and dpf's.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

User avatar
Six30
TOTY 2019
Posts: 8289
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Location: In Rennies wardrobe
Has liked: 2519 times
Been liked: 4128 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Six30 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:14 am

Bender wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 am
Six30 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:39 am
Bender wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am
Just about ready to collect my new van that was ordered early Feb, covid put a huge dent in the delivery time

Anyhow got round to sorting out insurance bearing in mind I'm going from an all but worthless old van to 145bhp with a big lump of torque, they are charging an extra 30quid, basically just charging for change of details my insurance was just renewed 2weeks ago too and it went down 40, so it's still less than last year's Woooohooooo.

It's through Admiral.
what van did you get
Nissan nv300, mainly for 5yr warranty, transits are becoming very hard work with engine faults and dpf's.

Good choice sir , Make you right , Transit engines are shite ...
Thinking of getting a vw T6 .. some of them are stupid money though .
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
The rule of Six.

User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5333
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2176 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Bender » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:33 pm

I opted for free grey lwb with the 145, they do a 170, I test drove an empty swb 120 that was too gutless, it's more like big car to drive way better than transit or transit custom.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

User avatar
oldgrump
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda VFR800 x 2 ,Honda CBR400RR, Suzuki SV1000
Location: poole dorset
Challenge score: 810
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by oldgrump » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:00 am

Bender wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am
Just about ready to collect my new van that was ordered early Feb, covid put a huge dent in the delivery time

Anyhow got round to sorting out insurance bearing in mind I'm going from an all but worthless old van to 145bhp with a big lump of torque, they are charging an extra 30quid, basically just charging for change of details my insurance was just renewed 2weeks ago too and it went down 40, so it's still less than last year's Woooohooooo.

It's through Admiral.
Hi @Bender , I've got my Renault Traffic Sport insured with Admiral, but on Friday afternoon on way back from Bristol after picking up a Honda Dullville, sorry Deauville :D. I managed to get the screen stone chipped by vehicle in front, as it was late on Friday night, called admiral on Saturday morning, redirect to another call centre, waited 40mins for operator!! Sorry Windscreen company don't work weekend's and someone will call you Monday morning!! The small chip has now grown to 18" across screen, and they are fitting a new screen on Thursday!!!!!! Luckily i can leave Van off the road.
So be warned the company Admiral use is NWS!! www.natwin.co.uk
2017 CHALLENGE 100 3rd.
2018 CHALLENGE 100 1st.
2019 CHALLENGE 100 2nd.


2020 CHALLENGE 100.

Churches 10/10.
Pubs 9/10.
Hoggs Bonus 4/15
Southeast England 12/12
Southwest England 12/12
East of England 2/12
East Midlands 2/12
West Midlands 3/12
South Wales 7/12
Bonus Bonus 5/15

User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5333
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2176 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Bender » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm

I've never claimed for a windscreen I just paid last time as excess was nearly same as just arranging it myself I'm sure they will be using a national company same as all the others.

Even a windscreen replacement should be declared on renewal as it's a claim and whilst it may not increase your premium some company's won't quote if you have claimed for anything.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
Posts: 35766
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Location: Bilton
Has liked: 4069 times
Been liked: 3548 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Stu » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Bender wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:31 pm
I've never claimed for a windscreen I just paid last time as excess was nearly same as just arranging it myself I'm sure they will be using a national company same as all the others.

Even a windscreen replacement should be declared on renewal as it's a claim and whilst it may not increase your premium some company's won't quote if you have claimed for anything.
I claimed for a screen last year and upon renewal I asked if I had to declare it and they said no as it was a separate policy :?
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5333
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2176 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Bender » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 pm

Depends on companies, most are ok some on comparison sites just don't quote.

You can usually go to one of the national companies for a screen and they will sort it all for you.

I looked at my Admiral policy blurb and it just says contact autoglass.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

User avatar
oldgrump
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:11 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda VFR800 x 2 ,Honda CBR400RR, Suzuki SV1000
Location: poole dorset
Challenge score: 810
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by oldgrump » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Bender wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 pm
Depends on companies, most are ok some on comparison sites just don't quote.

You can usually go to one of the national companies for a screen and they will sort it all for you.

I looked at my Admiral policy blurb and it just says contact autoglass.
Admiral must do it different for Business policy's, because mine says www.natwin,co.uk! And when I went to Autoglass website, it states they don't deal with Admiral Van policy's? That's why I contacted Admiral on Saturday morning.
Got a Autoglass place 1/2 mile up road from where we live.
And my excess is £25 for repair and £115 for new screen, Wife's car policy is £0!
2017 CHALLENGE 100 3rd.
2018 CHALLENGE 100 1st.
2019 CHALLENGE 100 2nd.


2020 CHALLENGE 100.

Churches 10/10.
Pubs 9/10.
Hoggs Bonus 4/15
Southeast England 12/12
Southwest England 12/12
East of England 2/12
East Midlands 2/12
West Midlands 3/12
South Wales 7/12
Bonus Bonus 5/15

User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5333
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2176 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Re: Car/van insurance

Post by Bender » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:33 pm

I think it just depends on what day of the week it is with insurance companies lol.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], NeilM and 17 guests