Driving Standards

Not bike related? Talk about it here!
Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 384 times

Re: Driving Standards

Post by Marino » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:43 am

Nothing with test and retest. Just human nature, in Mediterranean countries that is normal. Italy, Croatia, Greece all of them driving like that. It was just question of time when it will spread all over the Europe.
I am on some Croatian forums where you can see that every day one motorcyclist die in traffic accidents. Fortunately there MOTO season last 5 to 6 months, otherwise will remain without population.
Not to talk about car crashes, more people die in a year than during the war.

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan, what next ???
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1616 times
Been liked: 645 times

Post by bonio » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Marino wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:43 am
Fortunately there MOTO season last 5 to 6 months, otherwise will remain without population.
:lol:
Two Soups

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): BMW F800GT
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 pm

That actually is a reasonably serious point - in 2018 nearly five people died daily on the roads, and 68 people seriously injured every day (and this is something that has actually gotten better through the years and if I recall correctly the UK has one of the best records in Europe...!)

Some will use the term "accident" but it does point to some serious issues with standards and/or the state people drive in. Many roads have been engineered again and again where there are so-called "accident black spots", think how many bends you arrive at on a motorcycle where even though you haven't ridden it before you just know it's going to be a pig because of the advanced warning signs, road paint, chevrons etc let you know all you need to know. All these things cost money, each one tells you that before you came along a few unfortunate buggers made a mistake there.

Lane discipline, save a few poorly marked out roundabouts, shouldn't be hard, following the lane spirals on roundabouts make it a doddle... but seemingly not to many people. This roundabout in Bristol https://goo.gl/maps/dM5Sv9yNQFQ52L2K9, I was in the right hand lane to take the M32S on Friday. Followed the lane markings and spirals, only to get honked at by two separate cars that were in the middle lane for Fishponds and Easton and wanted the M32. But obviously it was my fault.

You realise you're in the wrong lane? See if you can move across, if not just follow the direction you've accidentally pointed yourself towards and sort it out in a bit. It's all the people who don't realise that if you're stuck in the right hand lane of a roundabout and missed your turn off you can just go around again and nail it on the next revolution! Instead they swerve across in a panic :roll:

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2282 times
Been liked: 1319 times

Post by dynax » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Years ago when i was working with a crew i was a designated driver for the week ( we took it in turns to drive ) anyway on roundabouts while the left hand lane had queues i would use the right hand lane and go all the way round and took the exit i wanted, i saved hours of queueing obviously this tactic was only used on the way home :lol: :thumb:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:58 pm

Magic roundabout in Swindon makes this a fully legit method. You can go left or right around it to reach your intended exit, varying depending on the traffic across it that day. Once you get used it it it works really well.

exportmanuk
Bike(s): BMW R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 28 times

Post by exportmanuk » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:38 pm

125cc wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:35 am
Pilots have to have a check with an instructor biannually. To me there should be something similar for drivers. Like a car CBT? Most probably wouldn't pass :popcorn:
It would not make any difference pass or not they would still drive. The number of vehicles that are driven by unlicensed drivers with un-roadworthy vehicles and no insurance is staggering. Compulsory retests are not going to bother them, they will drive anyway. Totally self-centered individuals with contempt for the law and the rest of the population.

Unfortunately the only way to stop this is for more traffic patrols stopping and confiscating vehicles.

125cc
Bike(s): Yamaha YS125
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by 125cc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am

Working at an airport, I see lots of cars getting hired out and driven away, clearly by people from abroad who aren't used to driving on the left or in the UK. It amazes me seeing how many are driven away on the wrong side of the road, stopping in the middle of roundabouts, trying to drive in to exits, and how many cars come back with all sorts of damage.

Last year I saw a French lady destroy a hired Merc outside our workshop after dragging it against a barrier, having tried and failed to drive into an exit. The metalwork on both passenger side doors was peeled away down to the internals, as if a giant tin-opener had munched its way through it. She then stopped in the middle of the road, causing utter calamity, lots of horns getting sounded etc. and got in a hysterical state.

Also last year, I saw a hired Skoda mount the kerb on a corner at 40mph+. Goodness knows what damage the suspension, steering and wheel suffered...

On Monday a Belgian-registered Audi stopped across the roundabout exit I was about to pull out of, in order to drop off passengers for a flight :roll:

Just a few examples. These people are not fit and competent to drive, are a danger and should NOT be allowed to drive until proved competent.
Perpetual 125cc Pilot. I'm slooooooow. Get over it :booty:

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2291 times
Been liked: 1096 times

Post by S-Westerly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:15 pm

SometimesSansEngine wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:58 pm
Magic roundabout in Swindon makes this a fully legit method. You can go left or right around it to reach your intended exit, varying depending on the traffic across it that day. Once you get used it it it works really well.
You mean there's actually a way to negotiate that rather than just closing your eyes and hoping for the best? Well I never!
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2291 times
Been liked: 1096 times

Post by S-Westerly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:20 pm

Most deranged I've seen was a few years back where the A1M splits just north of Washington services. I was heading towards the Team Valley in lane 3 when a few hundred yards in front of me a car slammed on its brakes and started reversing up lane 3 for about 50 yards so he could take the road to the Tyne tunnel! This was in peak morning traffic and caused chaos. Car's plates? Irish.
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:01 pm

S-Westerly wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:15 pm
You mean there's actually a way to negotiate that rather than just closing your eyes and hoping for the best? Well I never!
Like I said, you get used to it :lol:

Bender
Has liked: 2156 times
Been liked: 2502 times

Post by Bender » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 pm

S-Westerly wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:20 pm
Most deranged I've seen was a few years back where the A1M splits just north of Washington services. I was heading towards the Team Valley in lane 3 when a few hundred yards in front of me a car slammed on its brakes and started reversing up lane 3 for about 50 yards so he could take the road to the Tyne tunnel! This was in peak morning traffic and caused chaos. Car's plates? Irish.
I could understand if he was trying to avoid Gateshead 😁
Bite my shiny metal ass..

125cc
Bike(s): Yamaha YS125
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by 125cc » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Campervans in tourist season regularly exhibit the worst driving standards. Hogging space on roads, doing 35 in a 60, not allowing overtaking/pulling in, not paying attention, generally bizarre behaviour.

On the other hand I find folk towing caravans pretty sensible and aware of other road users and tend to drive well and pull in to let folk past if there's a build-up behind them.
Perpetual 125cc Pilot. I'm slooooooow. Get over it :booty:

Return to “General Chat”