Austrian Alps september 2020

Gerontious

:lol: was frantically trying to find the right pics1

We stayed there 2 nights at the end of Sept 2018 the bar/cafe was only open for 1 of them!

We liked it! We left the van there and used the free travel card to get into tittisee :thumb:

Enjoy! :cheers:

I had one very strange experience, you know how after rain you can see mist rising in columns from the Forest, almost like a fire is burning. Well one of those drifted across the road and for a few seconds it was thick fog. Anyway the road here was a lot quieter than I was expecting. Not many bikes either. Teatime I guess. I’m now at the bar just about to try a Furstenberg. Weiss Bier €3.70, i might even have 2.

It’s all been very pleasant, bits of rain, hardly worth mentioning, much cooler here than it was during the ride over which suits me. So, I’m right down in the south of the Black Forest. A few days later than originally planned. But it was great staying at the Schloss. It always is. See how it looks in the morning. If it’s still due to rain then I won’t hang about. Get further south and east into Bavaria.

D2182EF4-EE87-45C6-B1B8-BDD56EB3A14E.thumb.jpeg.5d781c5055fa32bee11f93a98620a41b.jpeg

Whose paranoid? Not me. Keys are next to me as I type, I would rattle them but that doesn’t transcribe well. I’m in the tent all ready for a very early night. It’s been a long day, only 250 miles, but that last bit was very intense. Also eating cake is in itself an exhausting process. Rain is still forecast from midday 40% chance so see how it looks in the morning and if it’s still the same I’m going to leg it. This place is so big and mountainous, it creates its own weather. I have this urge now to see proper mountains. Pointy ones.

Guest Richzx6r

Whose paranoid? Not me. Keys are next to me as I type, I would rattle them but that doesn’t transcribe well. I’m in the tent all ready for a very early night. It’s been a long day, only 250 miles, but that last bit was very intense. Also eating cake is in itself an exhausting process. Rain is still forecast from midday 40% chance so see how it looks in the morning and if it’s still the same I’m going to leg it. This place is so big and mountainous, it creates its own weather. I have this urge now to see proper mountains. Pointy ones.

I wish I could have afforded the trip, it looks pretty damn amazing

6am and I’m up with the lark. Weather forecast has changed, and as luck would have it, warm and sunny over this coming weekend. but I’m not going to stay here. Heading east to start with, I want to avoid Lake Constance. The road that hug’s the northern shore is a bit of a headache, very busy and stop start, so a little to the north then south towards Garmisch in the Allgau. Close to the border with Austria. See how far I get today. :mrgreen: Having a day off from cake. (Possibly)

So, a lazy start as I want to have a shower, coffee. See if they sell breakfasts or the makings. And give the tent a bit of time to dry off the dew before packing up and going.

Looking forward now to a first glimpse of the Alps rising above the Horizon later today!

It’s been very warm today and I’ve made good progress. Currently taking shelter from a bit of rain as well as having a drink and a 10 minute break. I’m now on the edge of a village called Schoppernau Austria, here on a whim more than anything. Having just passed through Egg. I’m not allowed to stop in Austria, as in stop overnight so I’m chasing the sun again heading for a place called Nauders, where once upon a time I was called a Hooligan by a load of pissed up Austrian football fans. I’m intending to cross into Italy and find a campsite lots of very low cloud which kinda spoils the view. But hey ho. I’m 75 road miles from the border into Italy. Not much of a view.....

Rains stopped, suns about to reappear and I’m off again.

3101E269-46F7-42A4-AE08-1F3897267724.thumb.jpeg.0e07841da8bf6aa257e2454742c7404a.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

It’s been very warm today and I’ve made good progress. Currently taking shelter from a bit of rain as well as having a drink and a 10 minute break. I’m now on the edge of a village called Schoppernau Austria, here on a whim more than anything. Having just passed through Egg. I’m not allowed to stop in Austria, as in stop overnight so I’m chasing the sun again heading for a place called Nauders, where once upon a time I was called a Hooligan by a load of pissed up Austrian football fans. I’m intending to cross into Italy and find a campsite lots of very low cloud which kinda spoils the view. But hey ho. I’m 75 road miles from the border into Italy. Not much of a view.....

Rains stopped, suns about to reappear and I’m off again.

3101E269-46F7-42A4-AE08-1F3897267724.jpeg

Even in bad weather it still looks cracking

a place called Nauders, where once upon a time I was called a Hooligan by a load of pissed up Austrian football fans.

Them being drunk doesn't stop it from being true :mrgreen: Plus they were a good bunch of lads who knew about Leicester City before they won some sort of football league and became famous!

Needs more kebab pics though.

He can be so unkind... and after all I’ve done for him. Gratitude!!!

Yesterday started warm, became hot and as soon as I hit the mountains down came the rain. Managed to make it to that bus shelter before the drizzle became torrential. Which it duly did. Very localised as once I got going again a mile or so on and dry.

Lazy morning as I’ve not a huge distance to cover. But obviously Italy. Sunshine and very warm. Glad I brought the vented jacket!!

One bit of epic off-roading due to roadworks and since then it’s been a joy

What a difference:

CDA0FB71-BC40-4A7D-8195-92075BD0C759.thumb.jpeg.4db155ceb209bdc8be669c763a7305b0.jpeg

75FAC17D-9448-4523-94AF-9267D27A6D74.thumb.jpeg.5e6bf44b038eda10073444c21e5c55de.jpeg

E772D84A-CBF1-4579-BA04-697644EF8BC2.thumb.jpeg.7ddac07707aa75e5c122f7d9933eb7c2.jpeg

C10B47E3-362F-45E7-A374-789766A1E844.thumb.jpeg.222c26f3f5b465025499047f15c62959.jpeg

3B48773C-5AE9-4FAB-94D7-1EE74FD64AB8.thumb.jpeg.eeadfd366e1d80f50ba657273d52043a.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

He can be so unkind... and after all I’ve done for him. Gratitude!!!

Yesterday started warm, became hot and as soon as I hit the mountains down came the rain. Managed to make it to that bus shelter before the drizzle became torrential. Which it duly did. Very localised as once I got going again a mile or so on and dry.

Lazy morning as I’ve not a huge distance to cover. But obviously Italy. Sunshine and very warm. Glad I brought the vented jacket!!

One bit of epic off-roading due to roadworks and since then it’s been a joy

What a difference:

Keep it coming I'm enjoying it

Amazing views!

Italian tarmac :-(

Looks fantastic though

It’s not been that bad, gotta stop the skiers chipping their teeth on the transit coaches. To be honest it’s better than I remember. There seems to have been some serious investment going on. Better than the Vercors. And definitely better than Belgium. Anyway tents up and sorted in the nick of time and I’m sure there’s a pizza waiting with my name on it. They also sell Erdinger - what’s not to like. Been a good day all in all. Glad to be here at last after all the doom and gloom and ‘it’s not going to happen’ malarkey - from different quarters since the world went mad!! Now.... food!