First Jacket and armour

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 1313 times

Re: First Jacket and armour

Post by dynax » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:28 pm

Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan, what next ???
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1604 times
Been liked: 640 times

Post by bonio » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 pm

I've three suggestions:
1. ebay
2. ebay
3. ebay

Buy secondhand; a lot of good stuff there at good prices. I've just got myself some Daytona goretex boots: £50 instead of £350 new.
Two Soups

goat
Bike(s): Tdm850, sv650 project
Has liked: 1828 times
Been liked: 854 times

Post by goat » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:02 pm

bonio wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 pm
I've three suggestions:
1. ebay
2. ebay
3. ebay

Buy secondhand; a lot of good stuff there at good prices. I've just got myself some Daytona goretex boots: £50 instead of £350 new.
Those are @Fish smelly boots though.
Find me on instagram
goat_and_groundsel

Bikes I've known and loved:
Mk1 1999 Bandit 600
Guzzi stelvio
R1200GS twin cam - will miss you beaker :crybaby:

bonio
Subscriber

Post by bonio » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:19 pm

goat wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:02 pm
Those are @Fish smelly boots though.
Better get me some geranium oil :D
Two Soups

Spongefinger
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Spongefinger » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi,

I started my motorcycle journey in August and same as you wanted reasonable gear but didn't have a fortune to spend. I shopped around got a end of line RST jacket for £55 from the visor shop, RST textile trousers for £75 and gloves for £35 from the spirts bike shop. I already had boots that had decent protection and was lucky enough to have a friend who sold me a helmet he only used a couple if times and didn't like. Happy shopping !

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Post by Richzx6r » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm

I use m&p for my stuff I have an rst 2 piece leathers I think it was 180 quid from memory and just wear a 2 piece rain jacket and trousers over the top on wet days, also worth in my opinion getting 2 pairs of gloves if your budget affords as theres nothing worse than wearing wet gloves, the rest is bearable if damp
Its better when its loaded

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Gerontious » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:42 am

Buy once - cry once. A lot of pointers towards second hand. But that may not be what you want. Look for gortex pro. Laminate. Which is I reckon the best you can get as far as waterproofing is concerned and has its own lifetime guarantee. The best gear now comes with D30 armour which is way up there with the best. Top tier brands aren’t cheap but as with anything you get what you pay for. So far On my tour I’ve seen more riders wearing Rukka than any other brand. Very expensive but can easily last decades. (And has its own 5yr warranty). My own jacket is 9 years old and still great. Other brands worth looking at are Halvarssons. Dane. Rev’it. In the spring you can look at something more suitable for warmer drier weather but to deal with a British winter I would suggest upping your game and go for the best you can afford. I wouldn’t spend less than £300, once you go above that price point you are in a different league.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 508 times

Post by onesea » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:26 pm

Gerontious wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:42 am
I wouldn’t spend less than £300, once you go above that price point you are in a different league.
I am going to disagree buy initially buy what you can find that you think is best and that fits. I choose routinely between jackets and trousers depending on what the weather is and where I am riding.

Some people don't ride in the rain some don't ride when its to cold, some don't care.

Yes I do have Gortex and agree anything else is second best, when it comes to waterproof.

Do you really need it as a first jacket? you can get adequate for a dam-site less and work out what suits you.
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by Marino » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Good stuff = expensive stuff, Rukka #1
Than everything else.
There is some good stuff from Dainese as well

NE150N80
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by NE150N80 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Once again - lots of great advice that is very much appreciated.

Especially thanks for all the brand suggestions!

Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Throttled » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:34 pm

I have had various bits from the IXS range and they sell some of the cheapest Goretex kit.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

Cpt_Tact
Bike(s): Triumph Street Triple R
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Cpt_Tact » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:27 am

Facebook Market Place is also a good bet as there is always loads of good gear on there. Brandwise any of the makes below will be a good direction. RST is great for entry/ mid priced gear but if you want all-weather then you will need GoreTex and if budget is tight I would opt for a decent textile jacket as a priority and accept your legs will get wet. If GoreTex is out of your league (and it was for me for years) then a good waterproof under jacket works just as well with a leather/ cheap textile jacket. In the summer when it's over 20c I generally wear a vented or leather jacked and just take a waterproof pack mac as a backup rather than rocking the textiles.

Kevlar jeans I find the most versatile and comfortable and if it's raining then some over trousers although there are quite a few jeans out there with a water-repellent coating that will cover you for showers with no issues, they also have lycra which makes the world of difference in comfort and movement. In the winter when it is dry I just wear a pair of thermal long johns underneath.

Alpinestars
RST
Rukka
Klim
Hein Gerik
Dainese
IXS - surprisingly good value
TCX - great value high-quality boots

I will probably get booed for this but if your budget is tight then I would kit out in the following order:

Helemt - best you can afford that fits well - go to a shop for the first time to find a helmet that fits right and then in the future buy online when you know what brand and shape works for you! A good fitting <£150 is better than a poor fitting >£300
Jacket - Goretex as an all-rounder or leather with a waterproof pack mac for £20
Boots & Gloves - solid walking boots will work to begin with but make sure they are proper laces so you can lock it to your foot. Again if you can get a pair of goretex summer gloves (Alpinestars do a set for about £90) and if not then a pair of disposable gloves underneath also work well for heat and keeping your hands dry.
Trousers - RST do a great kevlar budget pair which can be bought for around £90 new

I know people say "if you can't afford gear then you shouldn't be riding" but its your body and not everyone has the luxury of a healthy bank balance, kit out the best you can afford and then build up your gear over the years. It's taken me to about 7 years to finally have all the gear I want and it involved buying one big-ticket item per year. :D

Hope the CBT goes well!

NE150N80
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by NE150N80 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi All! Thanks for the help and suggestions!
We went to Sports Bike Shop today to grab some gear :)

Great staff, really helpful and let us try loads on! Very happy to have this as my local bike shop! Ended up going for the best I could afford and that also felt right - felt comfortable.

Got myself:
RST Paragon 2 boots
Richa Cyclone Gore-Tex Jacket and Trousers
Richa Hurricane Gloves
HJC C70

Passed my theory on Friday, doing my CBT in a couple of weeks (yeah I know, that’s kinda in the wrong order!) - it’s all beginning to happen! Can’t wait!

Swagman
Subscriber
Bike(s): 2003 Yam Fazer1000 +2007 Fz6
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Swagman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Nice one, congrats on the theory test and good luck on the CBT. :thumb:

bonio
Subscriber

Post by bonio » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:54 pm

Good choice of kit there. All the best with the cbt :thumb:
Two Soups

Return to “Clothing, Luggage, Accessories and Security”