VT700 Shadow

Now that the trailer project is near to conclusion and I have to wait for some of the materials for the pending project I decided to start looking into the small repairs to be done.

What I thought was a nice purchase ends up it is in fact a rescue. Poor bike is in need of proper attention.

I knew that the bike was in need of some TLC and that I would have to spend some money to bring it up to proper standard..

I have set a budget of £500 to £750 for all the work that needs to be done.

The bike was 15,400 miles on the clock when I got it but I can't be sure that is not in fact 115,400 or that someone fiddle with the Odometer and rev it back.

So far I have found:

front tyre needs replaced,

Air filter looks like the original from 86

The seats need upholstered, I decided to outsource this because I don't have the sewing machine to do it and I got fed up with pricking my fingers.

Some of the chrome needs some painting, There are some good reviews on chrome paint so I'll be using that at £10.50 each spray can I'll be getting it.

Lights panel needs rebuild, will be making a mould with the existing and will make a carbon fibre casing.

1981749304_lightspanel.thumb.jpg.9e463e4903f5f23905d34176e6525949.jpg

As precaution will replace all the gauge's light bulbs, there are 3 of them and really dark. Will be replacing them with LED's

Replace brake and clutch fluid

If anybody doesn't know what is the difference between used and new brake fluid...

1635687061_brakefluid.thumb.jpg.c08e632d55127e135a3bb65ede9c6cab.jpg

Need to find some screws for the covers, the little buggers were all set in rust and tried to convince me that they wont leave.

342446904_knackeredscrew.thumb.jpg.7bbac1cc62938dcafa6ebfeab24f4fa8.jpg

What doesn't need done

Drive shaft fluid looks new

front pads look new or with little use

Read brake shoes (not sure as I won't be opening it)

According to the owner the bike was serviced not long ago and the engine oil looks good.

Next year I'll be replacing it together with the filter

seats.thumb.jpg.656fd4d5f1ca45a9054901414f243ad3.jpg

369693592_clutchpumpcover.thumb.jpg.507f6cc7ff92af500aa8926aa5e792a3.jpg

1340518481_brakepump.thumb.jpg.b0d0da5aba2a2f137489d251b694bf61.jpg

213932353_clutchpump.thumb.jpg.a7b4ae1929b35d0ce5351136bf9c4ccd.jpg

I only got this last MOT cert.

I don't think that the bike is only 15k miles. as you say the seat is too worn to be that little use, and the overall condition is not of a bike that has been sitting in someone's garage/shed and not run.

Historical data showing the 2006 MOT WAS just over 13k miles. so for the look of it the bike didn't move too much since then having made 1,000 miles since 2015.

I just don't know what happened before that.

I'll have to play this one as it goes along, fortunately Honda are as tough as it gets so I don't expect any major issues. :thumb:

Guest Swagman

I only got this last MOT cert.

I don't think that the bike is only 15k miles. as you say the seat is too worn to be that little use, and the overall condition is not of a bike that has been sitting in someone's garage/shed and not run.

Historical data showing the 2006 MOT WAS just over 13k miles. so for the look of it the bike didn't move too much since then having made 1,000 miles since 2015.

I just don't know what happened before that.

I'll have to play this one as it goes along, fortunately Honda are as tough as it gets so I don't expect any major issues. :thumb:

Looks to me that the bike has been outside for at least part of its life.

I believe the bike was brought into the UK around 2006, that's the bit of mileage missing.

I think I need to get into the american shadow.net forum to find out more about it.

Or, just ignore what was before and deal with it as it comes.

I must say, the 500ish miles trip from London was as smooth as anybody can wish for. I had no issues whatsoever. Considering that a shadow is not a long touring bike, with a 12lt tank you can't go too far on it :) but the bike behaved really well.

Can't tell for sure, but I think she was very happy to finally going to have a few good runs :thumb:

I need some work doing on the saddle of my new bike (I haven't got it yet)

It has an aftermarket seat (the originals are notoriously poor)

The actual seat bits are fine but it has "vfr" embossed on the back of the rider's seat

which is tatty and horrible with foam showing through.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet

I need some work doing on the saddle of my new bike (I haven't got it yet)

It has an aftermarket seat (the originals are notoriously poor)

The actual seat bits are fine but it has "vfr" embossed on the back of the rider's seat

which is tatty and horrible with foam showing through.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet

You can cut out the embroilment, that's nothing much than a thick thread and a bit of patience and sharp scissors will do the trick, then just need a bit of artificial leather looking like the one you have stitched over it and you will be sorted.

Although VFR is an excellent bike :P

Unless you want to redo the original seats. I'm sure you can find some upholsterers around you that will do it for you. Some even will add the gel pads and memory foam while redoing the seats. No idea of the prices.

New air filter is in.

The box was covered in dust but how can I complain when the price was under £8.50? :)

Several websites are advertising it at £15 and over. So a result :thumb:

IMG_20200826_140339.thumb.jpg.31ad892b2524d37a1da0e291b18f0765.jpg

Adding it to the box of parts to use, waiting on the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs and the new fuel filter.

The FF isn't in a very bad shape but for the sake of £10 better just deal with it. But it looks pretty old makes me think that maybe the bike actually have a really low mileage.

IMG_20200826_141108.thumb.jpg.e0331f0865c4fd82868d2981d55eb7de.jpg

Had a good clean to the brake system.

Took brake caliper out, a good old fashion disassembly, clean all parts, removed the stuck dirt from the pistons. spend 15min trying to fit some of the rubber bits back on then with a bit of silicone grease it too seconds... :roll:

All assembled together and stored ready for fitting.

Will do it when I replace the fork seals and fluid.

Also ordered some new leather grips to replace the ugly cheap foam ones :thumb:

Another good day in the Shadow.

Clutch system fully cleaned, including the reservoir and clutch piston, cleaned the hose and all put together in under 1 1/2 hr :thumb:

Both forks removed and disassembled, cleaned, fluid (if you can call gray sludge a fluid) drained, reassembled to the point to receive the new fluid and the seals installed as soon they arrive today.

Got the fork kit and the new grips :D

Hopefully will fit them this evening and will be pretty much done.

Remaining to do:

new front tyre

new upholstery on both seats with gel pads addon ;)

new fuel filter (will run the old one in the meanwhile)

IMG_20200828_134247.thumb.jpg.8bb0e507b35b1bcdf97a3b65668a2a7f.jpg

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

This sludge is what was in the forks.

438763327_oldforkoil.thumb.jpg.0c8502187cb4194e161f9e808eec6c61.jpg

All fitted back into place, progressing well

795031345_forksfitted.thumb.jpg.8277e93ebd721c8449a9772e7c0a74a6.jpg

New air filter also fitted

472681507_newairfilter.thumb.jpg.2afd3b7dbffbf666d2422e2810f089ef.jpg

The idiot who had the bike before or whoever he got to fix the idle throttle removed the air filter casing and when put it back didn't fit it properly.

Instead of making sure the intake neck was attached properly just push it and leave it to that. then instead of a proper clean to the air intake to the carb and add some sealant left it as it was, then some brown tape to reduce the air flow for whatever reason... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Now is all fitted properly :thumb:

Ready for the remaining parts to go in and see how it runs ;)

So I got an estimate for the seats cover.

£190 for the 2 seats in fake plastic leather, with the advantage of being waterproof.

£250 leather cover allegedly waterproofed.

I still have a good part of the leather I have used doing the tank cover for the Pan European so I'm considering saving the money and have a go at diy.

I am constantly astounded by how well modernish bikes will still run ok when they have been maintained by neanderthals.

Cheers

Ian

What makes things even worse is that on those small things I spent less than £50.

These people with a brain of a jellyfish shouldn't be allowed caring for a bike :hammer:

Totally agree with you.

Believe it or not I found a small screwdriver inside the bottom legs of some forks on an early VFR750 that a friend asked me to look at.

He was worried about the tapping noise when manouvering on his drive ffs!

I did laugh then gasp when he told me he had been to Missano 2 up and had a long bimble home since the local "mechanic" had serviced his forks.

Cheers

Ian

Totally agree with you.

Believe it or not I found a small screwdriver inside the bottom legs of some forks on an early VFR750 that a friend asked me to look at.

He was worried about the tapping noise when manouvering on his drive ffs!

I did laugh then gasp when he told me he had been to Missano 2 up and had a long bimble home since the local "mechanic" had serviced his forks.

Cheers

Ian

I met someone once who told me that they found a three legged stool in the wing fuel tank of a Vulcan bomber .

a few years ago we were just about to leave douglas on the ferry when one flew over with it's bomb doors open and it was a noisy thing

Guest Swagman

a few years ago we were just about to leave douglas on the ferry when one flew over with it's bomb doors open and it was a noisy thing

My dad spent 28 years refuelling those at RAF Waddington. :thumb: :thumb:

Getting ready for a run :cool:

New grips in place,

IMG_20200904_111521.thumb.jpg.85c0af851f18ff6ebea385e0f2a84508.jpg

Leather grip

Got the new fuel filter. with spare filter replacements

IMG_20200904_110057.thumb.jpg.71a2712ce59b130fa1aac8773de44467.jpg

Reusable fuel filter

And got the chrome paint for the dials casings, they were showing signs of time and the clock case chrome is almost all gone.

IMG_20200904_112914.thumb.jpg.dcb4752b4c9fcc50c090220349b08072.jpg

Hycote chrome and laquer

Just in case anybody wants to get any of these.

Grips bought from www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk They are an online shop only but you will get the stuff really quick.

Filter was on www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk

Chrome paint got it from www.sprayster.com not the cheapest ones but have great reviews and hycote is apparently one of the best but don't take my word for it :P

interested in what that chrome spray turns out like have tried several all disappointing

I'll take some before and after pics.

I always do the same, "Should have taken some photos before starting..." :roll:

Now, this is embarrassing. :oops: :oops: :oops: :?

Fitted the new fuel filter, had to bypass the tap because it was faulty and can't be open to replace the seals.

All well and fitted.

Tried to start it. Given it a good crank to get the petrol to the carbs.

result.. Fakall :x :x :notworking:

The stupid engine refuses to work.

I was trying to avoid removing the carbs and give them a good clean because some parts are fitted using factory settings and if I take them out I will be stuffed :roll:

So, after a few more attempts, it crossed my mind that it could be flooded, 1 plug out and it was dry.

a few more tries and still nothing.

So, carbs to be taken out.

HOW DAFACK!!!!!! Do you remove those stupid things????

Stuck from the top on the air intakes and in the bottom the connectors to the cylinders.

Workshop manual says to do exactly as I did, remove the throttle cables, the choke cable, loosen up the bottom connectors and remove the carbs all together.

Yeah right...

tenor.gif.8057d163004c17db3cc725afa082a411.gif

On the plus side,

the chrome paint is fairly good. Good coverage.

Done 5 coats so far and seems ok.

The gauge casings were welded with plastic to fix a crack on the joint. Sanded to make surface even(ish) Because the welding won't be on sight I don't need to have it perfectly.

The casings had different prep work.

The clock casing was completely sanded and done to bare aluminium

One of the casings was sanded with grit 800

The second casing was just cleaned.

1951756258_casingsbeforepaint.thumb.jpg.ce58eefb4425cdae85dcdb110320176b.jpg1573244937_casingsbeforepaint1.thumb.jpg.37b3b6d8c1a0d5952fdb10c340ee85ab.jpg

All elements were cleaned with thinner used in car paintwork prior to spraying

All 3 casings were sprayed at same time.

Garage temp, around 19c

1052434683_clockcasingcoat1.thumb.jpg.a2126db07c29e9248429f97b022975f2.jpg

Coats applied as manufacturer instructions 15min intervals.

1961151230_casingscoat2.thumb.jpg.f17fb9b8b83339d5cc35cb36a8986fb7.jpg933327726_casingcoat3.thumb.jpg.e8f12972554ffd1282649139c30977bd.jpg342245828_casing2coat3.thumb.jpg.a6a75025d73314f8b383c35a958758d1.jpg

Left to dry overnight, tomorrow will have a light sanding with grip 1200 and a few more coats then will start the lacquer.