Advanced training

sounds like they are teaching you stuff that is just common sense .

Basically yes that is it.

It is all there in a book that you in effect can read and digest and incorporate the information into your riding as you wish/see fit and most of it once you know and understand the concept is common sense and obvious , the issue is that a lot of it contradicts what you are taught on your cbt/das so it seems difficult to grasp.

There is nothing to stop you reading Roadcraft or the IAM book ( based on Roadcraft) and taking your test without making use of the observers with Either Rospa or IAM

There is nothing to stop you reading Roadcraft or the IAM book ( based on Roadcraft) and taking your test without making use of the observers with Either Rospa or IAM

Or Just reading the book, early in my motorbike career I read Motorcycle Road Craft. It does highlight many useful practices, principles and points "the system" I think its referred to. I cannot comment on test.

Roadcraft is the most boring book I have ever read and it treats the readers as though they are complete idiots. Having said that, there is some very good content.

Would like to see an abridged version with ONLY advanced content.

I have to spend 40% of my attention searching for the observer to see what his signals are! A simple; "turn left here" would fix that.
My point here is that there is a difference between looking behind to assess traffic and concentrating on one bike more frequently to see if his indicators are flashing yet. 1/5 a second is a long time to not be looking where you are going!

• 3 months later...
On 06/09/2020 at 09:04, raesewell said:

Roadcraft is the most boring book I have ever read and it treats the readers as though they are complete idiots. Having said that, there is some very good content.

I thought the story line was rubbish, no plot, no characterisation and no flow. 

However, having persevered, my riding is somewhat improved. I must be the idiot that it was written for. 

PS. You’ve obviously not read any Prince 2 project management manuals, or SSADM, come to that. 😂

Someone mentioned “Not the Blue book” earlier. I lent my copy to someone years ago and can’t remember who. I’ve tried to find a copy but so far failed. If anyone has one they’d like to sell... 👍

On 28/12/2020 at 21:12, raesewell said:

It had better be a good read 😀

It’s by one of the contributors to the original Roadcraft, which was even more geeky manual than the current easily read version. It continues in that vein and has numerous bits of useful advice on a number of specific circumstances (EG. filtering - see attachment).  

You’d hate it. 😂

Image taken from Google books.

777471AE-2C51-45D4-B157-AD4BFEEAE084.png

6 hours ago, peatear said:

"Spaces are dangerous - danger means injury - injuries hurt."

Think we're all buggered then.

tenor.gif

😂😂😂

I saw an illustration of this some years ago. Returning from the WSB round at Brands Hatch with my then 12yr old son on pillion, easing my way gingerly through the logjam on the motorway, a guy went past much quicker, only to be taken out as a car changed lanes, into the space to the car’s left. 

Ouch!