Bike doesnt feel right on right hand bends

jedibiker

Hey all.

The last couple of rides out have not felt right. Due to a bad ride, I examined the bike and that was how I saw the chain was ruined, so bought new and sprockets, there all on.

Went out today and still felt it wanted to slide on right-hand bends, and not fast or that far over.

Tyres are at 36 rear 34 front. I do prefer 38 rear but 2 psi cant matter too much surely. No oil leaks that i can see and did oil and filter change anyway so it has new sump plug and filter.

I can't think what can make it handle crap on the right-handers, surely it would be same for both.?

Any ideas.?

[mention]jedibiker[/mention] Rear or front? Did you actually feel the tyre slide at all? Or if not, what was the feeling like? It's worth checking the tyres for any irregularities or bulges. Wheels too.

But tbh even the slightest bit out can make for bad handling. I went down a pothole a few months ago, and afterwards the front didn't feel right. I looked it over but couldn't see a thing wrong. It's only with the wheel off and spinning against a datum point you could see a slight bulge in the tyre wall. New tyre, and the problem went away.

@jedibiker Rear or front? Did you actually feel the tyre slide at all? Or if not, what was the feeling like? It's worth checking the tyres for any irregularities or bulges. Wheels too.

But tbh even the slightest bit out can make for bad handling. I went down a pothole a few months ago, and afterwards the front didn't feel right. I looked it over but couldn't see a thing wrong. It's only with the wheel off and spinning against a datum point you could see a slight bulge in the tyre wall. New tyre, and the problem went away.

other week on a roundabout back seemed to slip and for the first time in 3500 miles i went to put right foot down. Today was like bike lent over or slipped, but if it slipped it would keep going im sure.

Wheel out of alignment .

Tyre worn

What is recommended pressure for your bike ... Set to those

Road surface/camber

It's all in your mind

36/36 but 34/38 felt great then out the blue its felt like it wants to slip/.

New tyre on the back 300 miles ago. worn in nice. wheels aligned perfect

You've had a few problems with that bike haven't you? Maybe you should let a mechanic ride it. If it doesn't feel right they'll know pretty quickly.

Ive struggled to do jobs on it yes. took me ages to do fork seals lol and rear tyre was shit so it got new 300 miles ago. But i totally agree and thought today it cant hurt to let someone who knows there stuff test it/

wheel alignment perfect, was done by garage and ive just re done it after doing new chain, aligned by the notches but check with bar tool as well. Will have to try pressures again a little higher for rear.

Wheels are on the right way yeah.

Guest Richzx6r

So I'm going to say it sounds like a squidgy tire problem or one that's in your head as you have felt it go before and your just expecting it to go again maybe.

On mine I run 36 front 42 rear all the time week before last the front was down to 29psi and it felt like it was handling like a barge and kept on feeling like it was trying to drop me at every given opportunity

Try somewhere in the high to low 40s in the rear and mid to high 30s in the front see if that feels any better

Hope you get it sorted jedi

So I'm going to say it sounds like a squidgy tire problem or one that's in your head as you have felt it go before and your just expecting it to go again maybe.

On mine I run 36 front 42 rear all the time week before last the front was down to 29psi and it felt like it was handling like a barge and kept on feeling like it was trying to drop me at every given opportunity

Try somewhere in the high to low 40s in the rear and mid to high 30s in the front see if that feels any better

I think your right. Id got to 38 rear before and it felt better and 34 front. id let the rear sit at 36-38 but it needs to be above 38 to work how it should. some could be in my head too but i had got confidence in it until a run to chesterfield and roundabouts felt shit then on way home back seemed to slide so much i threw foot down, went to car park straight away and did tight low speed turns, was fine. seems above 20 it feels shit. So was thinking tyres and me expecting it to be crap/. cheers

Guest Richzx6r

I think your right. Id got to 38 rear before and it felt better and 34 front. id let the rear sit at 36-38 but it needs to be above 38 to work how it should. some could be in my head too but i had got confidence in it until a run to chesterfield and roundabouts felt shit then on way home back seemed to slide so much i threw foot down, went to car park straight away and did tight low speed turns, was fine. seems above 20 it feels shit. So was thinking tyres and me expecting it to be crap/. cheers

I only say your almost expecting it to slide as its done once or twice before and knocked your confidence slightly, increasing pressure should give that confidence back

Bikes can also play mind games with you.

We've all had it.

What the xxxx was that moment andthen spent the next 5 rides convinced theres a serious issue.

Sometimes its the head that needs a reset.

I was convinced a few year back there was a problem with the rear wheel on a VFR took 3 other people to ride it until i came to the conclusion it was me.

Im not saying this is your case but it is something to bare in mind.

We've all had it.

What the xxxx was that moment andthen spent the next 5 rides convinced theres a serious issue.

I was convinced a few year back there was a problem with the rear wheel on a VFR took 3 other people to ride it until i came to the conclusion it was me.

I agree, i think its likely to be me. cant find anything that could trigger it, apart from pressures off and giving me mixed signals. its not like im knee down lol

We've all had it.

I agree, i think its likely to be me. cant find anything that could trigger it, apart from pressures off and giving me mixed signals. its not like im knee down lol

It happens.

You only need a wobble and suddenly its in your head every time you ride.

If you're from donny.

Go to j and s. Talk shite for a bit, get the mojo back and you'll be reyt.

36 at the rear sounds low. Check what it's meant to be as I've got one manual that says 29/33 and another that says 36/42 - totally different.

At the lower pressures it's all over the place. I run it a 36/42

suzuki say 36/36 but ive found 38+ better. Not tried 40 yet but think its worth a try.

rear is 160/60/17

front 120

36 at the rear sounds low. Check what it's meant to be as I've got one manual that says 29/33 and another that says 36/42 - totally different.

At the lower pressures it's all over the place. I run it a 36/42

suzuki say 36/36 but ive found 38+ better. Not tried 40 yet but think its worth a try.

rear is 160/60/17

front 120

From Haynes

36/36 solo

36/42 2 up.

Suggest you keep trying all the way up to 42.

When I had the GPX I ran the rear at the 2 up value and it seemed much better than when at the solo figure.

Such small pressure difference you wouldn’t feel so much except if you are riding like Rossi.

It will only affect time your tyre need to warm up.

0.5 bar or 6 to 7 psi not going to change so dramatically

I use to drop it to 25 psi for track ride and it went more than good.

Such small pressure difference you wouldn’t feel so much except if you are riding like Rossi.

It will only affect time your tyre need to warm up.

0.5 bar or 6 to 7 psi not going to change so dramatically

I use to drop it to 25 psi for track ride and it went more than good.

I beg to differ. I find that even a couple of psi difference makes a noticeable difference. You get that much just with changes in ambient temperature so I tend to adjust my tyre pressures twice a week at least. I'm certainly no Rossi but on the lanes round us if they're out by a small amount I know it.

I agree with [mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention]. My first bike was leaking at the valve and I didn't know. Riding one day and it felt like a barge. Got home and it had post a good seven PSI.

It was only when I took it to a mechanic and they checked it they confirmed the valve was leaking - to that point it had dropped a couple of PSI every time I checked it but it being my first bike I didn't know for sure if that was unusual (especially since advice is check pressures weekly). When he told me I realised that I hadn't checked the rear for over a week.

I wouldn't be surprised if type of bike and tyre size can make a difference. This was a 125 on a relatively thin tyre

What brand tyres you got,are front and rear matched?

How old is the new tyre as in year of manufacture?

The new tyre is about a year old il check the code but i did when got it and was happy. Doncaster motorcycles are good with tyres, its a Metzeller m7rr

and no there not matched, but this combo ran great until a couple of weeks ago. way better than with the old back tyre. I know alot of mix tyres as long as they are the same style.