2018 BMW R 1250 GS TE

manxie49

Does anyone on the forum own one of these bikes? Has owned one or had any experience of them? My mate is looking at buying a 2018 model, looks in good order, low mileage, very tidy machine. He wants to use it next year for touring down to Spain (hopefully), he will also be using it for the daily commute. I was asked what I thought but I know nothing about this bike other than what it says on Google reviews, TBH I often find reviews on Google a bit one sided, I personally prefer to find out what people who ride them think....If anyone knows anything, advice would be appreciated :cheers:

Does anyone on the forum own one of these bikes? Has owned one or had any experience of them? My mate is looking at buying a 2018 model, looks in good order, low mileage, very tidy machine. He wants to use it next year for touring down to Spain (hopefully), he will also be using it for the daily commute. I was asked what I thought but I know nothing about this bike other than what it says on Google reviews, TBH I often find reviews on Google a bit one sided, I personally prefer to find out what people who ride them think....If anyone knows anything, advice would be appreciated :cheers:

Not sure if anyone here has got one......don't think so.

I sold mine just before lockdown. Was by far the best bike I ever owned.

More usable grunt than the 1200's and they really shift when you poke them.

If however I was buying 2nd hand.

I'd go for a 2015 model and save the pennies.

I had the R1200GS TE. The 1250 is the later version with larger engine, a few more bhp, and more electronic toys: TFT screen, phone connectivity, active suspension.

Minuses:

Parts fail or wear out reasonably often, and when they do, it's expensive. For example: new rear shock on the 1200: £1600 (no, it can't be serviced). New headlamp unit: £1000. The only way to stay solvent is to ensure you have some kind of guarantee in place that will cover you for parts failure. If you get an "Approved" used bike from BMW, it comes with 2 years free warranty. You can also buy an extended warranty for around £400 a year (until some age limit - 8 years iirc). It's more than worth it.

BMW customer service is patchy. Some dealers are great. Others seem to treat you more as a walking wallet. Read the reviews online and find a dealer who looks after you well.

It's a bit heavy to push around or pick up off the floor.

If you're paying £16k for a bike, why do you have to go and buy a fender extender and a replacement screen? Probably need engine bars too, to protect those cylinder heads.

Pluses:

It's an amazing bike (and the 1250 is meant to be even better). It will easily take your friend down to the south of Spain in great comfort, even 2 up and fully laden. And when they get there, it will play around on twisty roads as effortlessly as any other bike there, and more easily than most. It really does everything, and it does it all really well.

It is huge fun, and will make you feel like a great rider.

It will even go off road :wink:

Edited by bonio

This ad is for the factory lowered version (I've ridden both; the lowered version rides just as well as the normal height one). If your friend is smaller like me (I've a 30" in seam) they might be interested. All it needs is panniers and it's good to go. Cracking price, I reckon.

https://approvedused.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/detail.cshtml?on=443672

I've just bought one and it's an incredible bit of kit. It's very easy to ride and hides it's weight very well when moving, when stationary it's bloody heavy. Pushing it in and out of the garage is not easy.

I've had mine a week and done 600 miles on it in weathers from hot sunshine to driving rain, the GS just eats it up. 500 miles have been with it fully loaded with everything needed for a few days camping including beer, food, logs for a camp fire and it's a joy to ride.

One thing I have noticed though is that a lot of other riders no longer nod back.

Blimey [mention]Bungleaio[/mention] that was quick work. Did you part exchange the Z? Or can I have it? :wink:

Where have you been on it? Sounds like you're using it for what's meant for :thumb:

It took me a while to get used to the weight, but then it became second nature. Best bike I've ever owned.

Thanks for the help everyone, I've screenshot the page and forwarded it on to him. He was trying to decide between the Tenere and the BMW, I think he's plumping for the Beemer though, certainly looks like a nice bike, I'm looking forward to having a go on it....I did mention the fact that he'd need engine bars, looking at the picture, if it were to go over on those sticky out cylinders heads I reckon it would be an expensive job :thumb:

If he’s in the IAM then it’s possible to get a decent discount off a new one.

@bonio the Z has gone. I’ll start a new thread rather than going off topic with this.

[mention]Bungleaio[/mention] :thumb: And could you add something the IAM discount? Ta

If he’s in the IAM then it’s possible to get a decent discount off a new one.

@bonio the Z has gone. I’ll start a new thread rather than going off topic with this.

The one he has his eye on is used, pretty well looked after though, he was test riding it today .... I haven't heard from him yet to get the low down :thumb:

This ad is for the factory lowered version (I've ridden both; the lowered version rides just as well as the normal height one). If your friend is smaller like me (I've a 30" in seam) they might be interested. All it needs is panniers and it's good to go. Cracking price, I reckon.

https://approvedused.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/detail.cshtml?on=443672/http://quadsalesni.com/

pretty stunning, nice ride for short legs like mine too