Spent some money today! .. Not a lot!

KiwiBob

Well, I've just spent £400 buying this! .. just under 9,000 miles and mot till July next year.

Runs fine but the engine has a bit of a rattle and fork seals will need doing.

Should give me something to do over the winter.

ER5.jpg.fb0089ad5179b3530f4e8a2942d4a1d2.jpg

The guy I bought it from spent £350 in August for a service, (replace fuel tap, carbs stripped and cleaned, float needles, fuel pipe, air filter, oil filter and spark plugs) .. My only concern is that on the invoice it states "Engine has loud noise coming from the top end, possibly valve clearances". .. We'll have to see.

Well, I've just spent £400 buying this! .. just under 9,000 miles and mot till July next year.

ER5.jpg

Could I recommend a manual Cam Chain Tensioner .

ER5.jpg

I'll take all the recommendations I can get! .. I know absolutely nothing about ER5's.

That's cheating ! That bike is mint . I paid £300 for this thing .

Its your fault that I bought it! .. After seeing you tackle that I thought I would be brave and give it a try. This just happened to be the nearest one to me that was for sale.

ER5.jpg

I'll take all the recommendations I can get! .. I know absolutely nothing about ER5's.

Just ask . I rebuilt one a couple of years ago and I'm rebuilding another one at the moment .

Just ask . I rebuilt one a couple of years ago and I'm rebuilding another one at the moment .

I've posted a video of the engine "rattle" on the ER5UK facebook page(I can't get it to load on here) .. I'd value your opinion on what may be the cause.

I've posted a video of the engine "rattle" on the ER5UK facebook page(I can't get it to load on here) .. I'd value your opinion on what may be the cause.

As I said on the ER5 FB group , the best thing to do is pop the valve cover off and have a good look . The hassle with the ER is that you have to drain and remove part of the cooling system first and sometimes it takes a lot of persuasion to pull the pipes out of the head . You obviously have to remove the tank but the remote fuel tap can also be tricky . On your early model the frame is narrower than mine so removing the valve cover is fiddly too but at least you shouldn't have the clean air system to remove . ( Possibly ) Don't let all this put you off . I'm happy to help if you get stuck .

As I said on the ER5 FB group , the best thing to do is pop the valve cover off and have a good look . The hassle with the ER is that you have to drain and remove part of the cooling system first and sometimes it takes a lot of persuasion to pull the pipes out of the head . You obviously have to remove the tank but the remote fuel tap can also be tricky . On your early model the frame is narrower than mine so removing the valve cover is fiddly too but at least you shouldn't have the clean air system to remove . ( Possibly ) Don't let all this put you off . I'm happy to help if you get stuck .

Cheers Bob, I'm in no rush .. I've not passed my test yet! ;)

That's cheating ! That bike is mint . I paid £300 for this thing .

Its your fault that I bought it! .. After seeing you tackle that I thought I would be brave and give it a try. This just happened to be the nearest one to me that was for sale.

And it's your fault I just bought this ! I want a shiny blue one now . 😁

Screenshot_20200902-202218.thumb.png.52117ba5d943c0307515407aa3b584df.png

Well I've not taken a look at the cams on the bike engine yet but as I strongly suspect a knackered lobe I picked up a spare engine. It's not pretty but it's a runner and the camshafts are in good nick.

What to do? .. just bung it in? .. or swap the heads?

If I was brave and had fastbobs talent and patience I would strip it and make it look pretty.

20200909_125946.thumb.jpg.c354df4418bac14a9dcf3b54c992f246.jpg

Well I've not taken a look at the cams on the bike engine yet but as I strongly suspect a knackered lobe I picked up a spare engine. It's not pretty but it's a runner and the camshafts are in good nick.

If I was brave and had fastbobs talent and patience I would strip it and make it look pretty.

Bung it in but swap the alternator cover and clutch cover because they look nicer . Don't mess with the water pump cover for now . If that runs ok , buy a complete cylinder head off eBay , stick it on your original engine and smarten up the appearance at your leisure . Then flog it on eBay to get your money back .

Bung it in but swap the alternator cover and clutch cover because they look nicer . Don't mess with the water pump cover for now . If that runs ok , buy a complete cylinder head off eBay , stick it on your original engine and smarten up the appearance at your leisure . Then flog it on eBay to get your money back .

That sounds like a plan!

Looks like alot of fun and plenty of profanities. :)

Not if you have one of these . I've got one for the Harley and it made dropping the engine out of the ER5 an absolute doddle . I have every confidence that putting the engine back again will be equally straightforward . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383686746222 Ignore the black things , they are for Japanese cruisers .

Screenshot_20200909-145132.thumb.png.0e39badc81a42cb453ed352366da9add.png

Not if you have one of these . I've got one for the Harley and it made dropping the engine out of the ER5 an absolute doddle . I have every confidence that putting the engine back again will be equally straightforward . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383686746222 Ignore the black things , they are for Japanese cruisers .

I go by how shit I am at doing stuff lol. looks good. I was wanting something for mine but exhaust goes right under the bike. Im sure there is a way but im done messing with it for now... he says. good luck

To quote Baldrick.

A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Dam good idea @fastbob

Cheers

Ian

*Ahem*... I think you'll find that was a Blackadder quote... /pedant.

Looks like alot of fun and plenty of profanities. :)

I have exactly the same for the Bobber. You see them branded as Draper and other makes going for over £100. I discarded the black bits and use trolley jack rubber heads to protect the frame. The bike is rock solid on it.

That's it! .. I've had enough! .. The engine is coming out!

I don't care what the book says it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the rocker cover with the engine in the frame! I've spent over an hour wiggling and jiggling every which way and there is no way its coming out!

Time for a beer!