Another night out... Kent!

onesea

Well it seems I have taken to motorbike camping... and I have a night pass for a night out this week.

Having ridden to the SW Devon Cornwall a couple of times this year, not having time to go back to Norfolk this time...

My plan had been Wales but gut feeling Wales might go damp and cold.

Where as Kent is looking drier and warmer and i have only ever been there to go some where or meet someone. So heading out the forest I am thinking of east camp and return. Not really intrested in anything West of Brighton as that is with within a days ride of home. I have also riden and driven the coast rode from Dover before.

Its Kent itself I had on my hit list:

Margate - just because.

Isle of Sheppy - just because.

Folkstone down to Dungeness as my riding buddy had not been to Dungeness.

Maybe Deal

So looking for camping and recommendations for good roads.

You already know about the A272, I guess? I rode it going east on evening in August when the traffic was light. A few too many 50s at the start for a wild ride, but even so it was huge fun.

Well I did it.

Great ride weather was warm with dry roads what more can you ask we went:

Screenshot_20200908-221408.thumb.png.c6bced201e2d40c01f2fbdbfb11773af.png

Stayed here would recommend:

https://www.hatchersfarm.co.uk/facilities-and-pricing

Putting tents up local pub was recommended by owner, we suggest evening ride. So where advised that Peters Fish Factory was an essential:

https://m.facebook.com/petersfishfactoryramsgate/?locale2=en_GB

Fish and Chips £4.75 good as well.

My mate on his GSA blah blah supper dooper model was not impressed when owner said ohh that's a new TDM I have had two 850's. :up:

The ride round the headland was cool particular riding past white cliffs turning pink at sun set.

The ride home we did:

Screenshot_20200909-180358.thumb.png.9c4962c27cf72bd1087357de6bfc4579.png

Having breakfast in Herne Bay which could be sizeable:

IMG_20200909_100205_6.thumb.jpg.2647149c78019018dead702dce1d8e09.jpg

You need a GSA to carry that all day...

Next stop was adorable, quaint and a worthy week day stop, sadly not open of a weekend.

https://littlebeancafe.co.uk/

IMG_20200909_142053_8.thumb.jpg.8b81ebb7c97f2cdab43a917e641472c4.jpg

Apart from a blown headlight, on my bike a bloody good 2 days. I will return another day with more time to explore...

Great stuff. I have a couple of days of annual leave left and I'm considering a night camp somewhere. I was thinking of heading West to the New Forest but after reading your post, thinking that Kent might be a possibility 🤔

Great stuff. I have a couple of days of annual leave left and I'm considering a night camp somewhere. I was thinking of heading West to the New Forest but after reading your post, thinking that Kent might be a possibility 🤔

IF you do decide New Forest I am based down here and might be able to give some advice (I won't guarantee the quality).

This was an Adhoc run, me and friend had time and went.

We actually started planning Wales, then the Forecast developed and Kent was 100% dry wales 50% chance of rain. Might of only been showers but could still leave greasy roads so in my usual manner I changed plans.

I have planned countless routes and nights out planned each for there own reasons favourites being weather is good and I have not been there enough, oh and the roads are good.

The deciding factor is often the weather all normally decided at the last minute which means finding riding or even camping buddies can be impossible.

IF you do decide New Forest I am based down here and might be able to give some advice (I won't guarantee the quality).

This was an Adhoc run, me and friend had time and went.

We actually started planning Wales, then the Forecast developed and Kent was 100% dry wales 50% chance of rain. Might of only been showers but could still leave greasy roads so in my usual manner I changed plans.

I have planned countless routes and nights out planned each for there own reasons favourites being weather is good and I have not been there enough, oh and the roads are good.

The deciding factor is often the weather all normally decided at the last minute which means finding riding or even camping buddies can be impossible.

Thanks for that info. Adhoc is best I reckon, I rarely follow any sort of plan, I'm far too chaotic. I start with kind of a plan but it rarely ends up how I intended to be. Weather looks good for the next couple of days so I'll have a think about Kent. Thanks for the link to the campsite, it looks like a good 'un. The trip to Wales this week wore me out so a shorter trip to Kent would be ideal. I want to do something similar to you, just one night over there then ride back to Surrey before I go back to work.

You dodged a bullet with Wales, we went early this week and the weather wasn't the best. Saying that we still had a great time. If I had camped I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

We went to the Isle of Sheppy last month and ended up on a nudist beach :D

The bridge over to it was terrifying. The wind was howling and i recall shouting SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT as i was going over it. Then my husband, bless him, kept pointing the bridge out to me wherever we were on the Island cos thats how freakin big it is.

Anyhoo enjoy !!! Btw there were no naked women just a bunch of old geezers with great tans.

We went to the Isle of Sheppy last month and ended up on a nudist beach :D

The bridge over to it was terrifying. The wind was howling and i recall shouting SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT as i was going over it. Then my husband, bless him, kept pointing the bridge out to me wherever we were on the Island cos thats how freakin big it is.

Anyhoo enjoy !!! Btw there were no naked women just a bunch of old geezers with great tans.

I had no idea there was a nudie beach on sheppey - there used to be one at sandgate, I used work in the area and there were some very unpleasant views on occasion, lol

Sheppey is one of those out-of-the-way places that keeps popping into my life......leysdown arcades when I got my first car, painfully slow deliveries to the prisons when I couriered, very pleasant meals at the Harry Ferry Inn when I sailed with my dad, and a blind date in the pouring rain in queenborough involving an odd lady that tried to spend the entire date snogging my face off.

Thankyou gymwitch for bringing back so many memories 👍👍