Free penalty points from DVLA!

MarkW

This sounds like a real classic. I don't have much to add but I am enjoying the saga. Talking to the high and mighty dvla is a right game. Somehow they backed down on requiring me to pay for a new v5 once, which I'd never received after getting my first car. After many phone calls they sort of quietly realised it was just an error in the address, a simple mistake which could've been my bad handwriting or their fat fingers, house number 78 which doesn't exist, instead of 28. I only found out for sure at tax renewal time because the postman guessed the correct letterbox to jam it through. They'd refused for ages to do anything about it, well a whole year nearly. I think I just eventually dropped on getting hold of someone in a half decent mood.

There was a more recent time where I hadn't received a couple of v5's back and I did pay the £25 each to get replacements, I wasn't in the same mindset and didn't put up much of a fight. We couldn't quite work out what was going on. They couldn't decide if they had received my letter with the details of the engine/frame swap or if I just hadn't received my new ones they'd sent out. I had no proof of delivery (never again will I send them anything unrecorded) and yet they didn't have proof of delivery to me either, of course it must therefore be me never sending them anything. I payed through gritted teeth and they came back updated with the swap details (which actually I think they even got slightly wrong but I darent re-raise the issue). They can't have sent me anything first time round, they come separate - maybe I could uselessly misplace 1 but not 2.

Dealing with them is quite comical if you like that sort of thing.

Of course your situation is much more interesting. :popcorn:

Don't pay, let it go to court and explain to the judge. They will surely have to prove your guilt, which they will have difficulty 👍

Well.... Technically whoever earned these points HAVE been to court and HAVE admitted or had their guilt proven. He's at the other end of this process.

I'm afraid he will have to do some digging. Or he'll get to insurance renewal time, will declare a clean licence. His insurer will do a background check and realise he "has" these points and adjust (or cancel) his policy accordingly. I think he'll get short shrift from them at that point if he calls them and says "well it's a funny story actually.... Honest, take me by my word or alternatively prove these are my points"

Same for renting a car, a van etc etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. Having first hinted at overt homosexuality ("Do you live in Bristol and drive a canary yellow Audi TT?") I have just received the following email from a very helpful chap at Avon and Somerset Police:

"Thank you for your patience. I think I have got to the bottom of what has taken place and I must apologise for the inconvenience that has caused you.

There has indeed been a mix-up and your licence has been incorrectly endorsed. I have emailed the Fixed Penalty Office at Southend to contact DVLA to remove them from your record. I do not have any timescale for this but I have asked that I am informed when it is done, so I can let you know.

I understand that your insurance is up for renewal (if not already passed). If this has caused any issues with your insurance company, then please pass my details or have them contact me directly so that I can clarify the situation for them.

Again my apologies for the inconvenience caused."

As soon as this landed on his desk he was on it straight away, but it took me nearly three weeks of being passed from pillar to post before it got to the right person. Now we just have to see how long it takes the DVLA (the traditional baseline benchmark of bureaucratic rigor mortis) to pull their finger out...