Can you blind a speed camera?

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
TimR
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 565 times

Re: Can you blind a speed camera?

Post by TimR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:49 pm
Pbassred wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:29 pm
I'm not suggesting a camera blocking device,flip plates or anti Radar chaff. Just an extra tail light. Quite a bright one.
Which will end up obscuring your brake light and you'll get rear-ended.

Plus it won't do diddly squat to a speed camera.
Similar to a fog light ... The ones that will give you 3 points and a fine if left on ?
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

husoi
Bike(s): Honda Pam European ST1300 (08);Honda VT700c Shadow
Has liked: 130 times

Post by husoi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm

Try this.

Ride backwards, without your helmet on or with a open flip up, stare into the camera making the angriest face possible. Wave your arms furiously in the air and wait for the camera to flash.

You still going to get the penalty and the points on your driving license but at least you will come on the news... :popcorn:
All my food only eat vegetables. So, I'm an indirect vegetarian :cool:

All problems have a solution.
You just need to figure it out :)

xMachina
Bike(s): K6 Bandit 1200, K3 GSX-R750
Challenge score: 0
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by xMachina » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 am

husoi wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 pm
Ride backwards, without your helmet on or with a open flip up, stare into the camera making the angriest face possible. Wave your arms furiously in the air and wait for the camera to flash.
Just make sure your legs aren't obscuring your number plate. :lol:
ftw wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:02 pm
xmachina, you have been outed.

manxie49
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 461 times

Post by manxie49 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:47 am

Simple answer no....as has already been pointed out. Registration plates that apparently reflected the camera and obscured the picture it took seemed to be doing the rounds once upon a time, however, they're illegal, the Police aren't stupid, they know what they are and will nick for having one. The simple answer has to be just slow down, I'm afraid the days of riding knee down, balls out, hair on fire (other than a track day) are gone.
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

Pbassred
Bike(s): Honda VFR800 Vtec, Previous; Honda CBR500R
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Pbassred » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 am

The simple answer has to be just slow down, I'm afraid the days of riding knee down, balls out, hair on fire (other than a track day) are gone.
You are right. It probably why I see so many old fat blokes on 1200cc ADV bikes. It not fast but at least its loud.
the Police aren't stupid
Contentious. They can be. I've been pulled for doing 40 on a dual carriage way (avoiding some dumb fcuk slow manoeuvring from a car that turned out to be plod), my dad got pulled for doing 70 on a dual carriageway (!), and my son got randomly pulled 4 times in 2 miles. I had a long conversation with an ex-plod who believed that all bicycles should be banned from the road. If you ever read "Motorcycle Roadcraft" you'd agree that its some useful content buried in the bleedin' obvious that you really shouldn't need to be told.
Human beings are idiots as a species and plod is behind the innovation curve.
(edit: they found my son's wallet once. jolly good show.)
If there isn't enough lubricant, you must be doing it wrong.

OldEssexMan
Bike(s): Burgman 650 Exec
Been liked: 9 times

Post by OldEssexMan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:08 am

Back in the dim and distant when speed cameras were new there was an article in "Bike" about possible ways to fool them. The one closest to the OP's question was to fit a light-sensing strobe to the bike that would flash back at the camera and white-out the number-plate. Whether this actually worked I don't know and now the cameras are digital I guess it's even more unlikely. Seemed an awful lot of faff to go through at the time.

manxie49
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 461 times

Post by manxie49 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Pbassred wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 am
The simple answer has to be just slow down, I'm afraid the days of riding knee down, balls out, hair on fire (other than a track day) are gone.
You are right. It probably why I see so many old fat blokes on 1200cc ADV bikes. It not fast but at least its loud.
the Police aren't stupid
Contentious. They can be. I've been pulled for doing 40 on a dual carriage way (avoiding some dumb fcuk slow manoeuvring from a car that turned out to be plod), my dad got pulled for doing 70 on a dual carriageway (!), and my son got randomly pulled 4 times in 2 miles. I had a long conversation with an ex-plod who believed that all bicycles should be banned from the road. If you ever read "Motorcycle Roadcraft" you'd agree that its some useful content buried in the bleedin' obvious that you really shouldn't need to be told.
Human beings are idiots as a species and plod is behind the innovation curve.
(edit: they found my son's wallet once. jolly good show.)
I can't disagree with you there mate, stupid, as far as stupid goes, isn't just confined to the general public .... I recall, not that long ago, a Police officer, who'll remain nameless, flashing a car over for speeding. He parked a short distance behind the car he had just pulled, got out of his van and went down the hill to speak to the driver. However, he didn't apply the handbrake or didn't apply it fully and the van rolled down the hill and into the rear of the car he had just stopped .... Embarrassing to say the least ......Would love to have caught that on camera, I would have made £250 out of that blooper :D
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

Spongefinger
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Spongefinger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:13 pm

OldEssexMan wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:08 am
Back in the dim and distant when speed cameras were new there was an article in "Bike" about possible ways to fool them. The one closest to the OP's question was to fit a light-sensing strobe to the bike that would flash back at the camera and white-out the number-plate. Whether this actually worked I don't know and now the cameras are digital I guess it's even more unlikely. Seemed an awful lot of faff to go through at the time.
This could work to a degree. Theoretically at least. I'm a photographer and when I use flash guns they have a slave setting. That means if another flash gun goes off near them they will fire. So you could mount a flash gun and point it to your plate. The issue I could see apart from 1) It being highly illegal 2) Drawing even more attention to yourself as you light up is that depending on how fast you passed the camera the flashgun sensor may be out of range before it has a chance to go off.

curlylegend
Bike(s): Yamaha TDM 850 3VD
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by curlylegend » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:12 am

Maybe a bit off topic, but is it true that in Germany a conviction for speeding will only be successful if the automatic camera has recorded an image of the driver ?
So I can't figure out how they can prosecute motorcyclists? Helmets and no front number plates ?

Maybe they just shoot you ?

Gerontious
Bike(s): Honda Africa Twin
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 1733 times

Post by Gerontious » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 am

curlylegend wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:12 am
Maybe a bit off topic, but is it true that in Germany a conviction for speeding will only be successful if the automatic camera has recorded an image of the driver ?
So I can't figure out how they can prosecute motorcyclists? Helmets and no front number plates ?

Maybe they just shoot you ?
Cameras in Germany face both ways. I have had a fine from Germany and the photos that were included left no doubt that it was me. The quality of the image was stunning.

Permanent cameras have in recent years changed in design, they now look like this. with 3 pairs of cameras at different levels. and older designs are being replaced where possible.

If you see a camera that looks similar, but is BLUE. this is not a speed camera but is involved in collecting tolls from HGVs and so on.
German Speedcamera.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gerontious on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2290 times
Been liked: 1095 times

Post by S-Westerly » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:49 am

I wouldn't have recognized that as a speed camera! Thanks for the pic. As my brother lives in Munich I have driven in Germany (in car) so this is good to know.
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

rob m
Bike(s): BMW K1200S
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by rob m » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm wondering if Germany prosecute for speeding based on just the registration plate or the full vehicle details.

I need to know this as I'm thinking of buying a plate detailing my ex-wife's reg number on her car to put on my bike before my next trip to Europe.

husoi
Bike(s): Honda Pam European ST1300 (08);Honda VT700c Shadow
Has liked: 130 times

Post by husoi » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Recently this was made illegal in Portugal.
Regardless, the police still uses these methods to catch speeding drivers.
Note that the pics are just a few examples of what is common practice by the Portuguese police.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All my food only eat vegetables. So, I'm an indirect vegetarian :cool:

All problems have a solution.
You just need to figure it out :)

exportmanuk
Bike(s): BMW R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 28 times

Post by exportmanuk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:32 pm

Many cameras now use infrared not a flash

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2290 times
Been liked: 1095 times

Post by S-Westerly » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:26 pm

husoi wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm
Recently this was made illegal in Portugal.
Regardless, the police still uses these methods to catch speeding drivers.
Note that the pics are just a few examples of what is common practice by the Portuguese police.
Serve the bast*rds right if someone stole their gear. Probably would in the UK.
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

Return to “Motorbike Chat”