Can you blind a speed camera?

Pbassred

I once got flashed at night in a really torrential rain with spray everywhere. Pretty sure it wasn't a readable pic. Other than that I don't think they are easily confused. I believe shooting them works but the powers that be take a really dim view of that; almost as bad as meeting in a group of 7.

Simple answer. ....No.

Images are digital (or digital video) on modern cameras so anything unreadable gets imaging software thrown at it until they can read the plate. And all those greyed out number plates usually seen on BMWs n Audi's will get an additional fine 👍

(I'm not an expert, this is info I got on my last CPC course - instructor was an ex copper)

I once got flashed at night in a really torrential rain with spray everywhere. Pretty sure it wasn't a readable pic. Other than that I don't think they are easily confused. I believe shooting them works but the powers that be take a really dim view of that; almost as bad as meeting in a group of 7.

Probably the worst time to be speeding! :lol:

He was in his boat to be fair.

Also if caught ...can be construed as perverting the course of justice ...similar to flip plates

Seems up norff police crack down hard on it

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/news/motorcyclist-covered-numberplate/

https://www.roadsafetysupport.co.uk/news/punishment-biker-who-tried-cover-number-plate-avoid-speeding-offence

In case anyones thinking of trying it this guy got 3 months in prison for fitting a laser jammer to his car :shock:

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-leeds-47202419?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16001217536323&amp_ct=1600121756757&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

There are several other cases too with a similar outcome. The government isn't a fan of people manipulating their revenue schemes :lol:

When I was younger I used to ride without number plate. Actually with number plate in my back pack. And it worked all the time. Now as I am older and wiser I just stick to the rules as much as possible.

He was in his boat to be fair.

Sadly no, it was the A1 just north of Alnwick and about 11pm, I was heading to Aberdeen to catch a morning flight to the Faeroe Islands. I'd been delayed by family issues hence the haste.

When I was younger I used to ride without number plate. Actually with number plate in my back pack. And it worked all the time. Now as I am older and wiser I just stick to the rules as much as possible.

I always think to myself "is it really worth it?"

That guy I linked to got 3 months in prison for using a camera blocking device. I do not want to serve time in prison, lose my job, have to redo my license after a 6/12 month ban all for the sake of going 40mph in a 30 zone :lol:

I certainly aren't saying I don't speed, I just pick the right time and place :thumb:

I always think to myself "is it really worth it?"

That guy I linked to got 3 months in prison for using a camera blocking device. I do not want to serve time in prison, lose my job, have to redo my license after a 6/12 month ban all for the sake of going 40mph in a 30 zone :lol:

I certainly aren't saying I don't speed, I just pick the right time and place :thumb:

I do think now, I didn’t 30 years ago :angel12:

I'm not suggesting a camera blocking device,flip plates or anti Radar chaff. Just an extra tail light. Quite a bright one.

Which will end up obscuring your brake light and you'll get rear-ended.

Plus it won't do diddly squat to a speed camera.

I remember watching an interview with an American state trooper, he was talking about people who have speed radar scrambling type equipment installed in their cars (I know it's not the same as what we are discussing but similar subject)

He loved it when they had it installed as even though he couldn't get them for speeding it was clear from the signal that something was dodgy so he would pull them over, confiscate the detector and give them a bigger ticket than what they'd get for speeding :lol:

I'm not suggesting a camera blocking device,flip plates or anti Radar chaff. Just an extra tail light. Quite a bright one.

Which will end up obscuring your brake light and you'll get rear-ended.

Plus it won't do diddly squat to a speed camera.

Similar to a fog light ... The ones that will give you 3 points and a fine if left on ?

Try this.

Ride backwards, without your helmet on or with a open flip up, stare into the camera making the angriest face possible. Wave your arms furiously in the air and wait for the camera to flash.

You still going to get the penalty and the points on your driving license but at least you will come on the news... :popcorn:

Ride backwards, without your helmet on or with a open flip up, stare into the camera making the angriest face possible. Wave your arms furiously in the air and wait for the camera to flash.

Just make sure your legs aren't obscuring your number plate. :lol:

Simple answer no....as has already been pointed out. Registration plates that apparently reflected the camera and obscured the picture it took seemed to be doing the rounds once upon a time, however, they're illegal, the Police aren't stupid, they know what they are and will nick for having one. The simple answer has to be just slow down, I'm afraid the days of riding knee down, balls out, hair on fire (other than a track day) are gone.

The simple answer has to be just slow down, I'm afraid the days of riding knee down, balls out, hair on fire (other than a track day) are gone.
You are right. It probably why I see so many old fat blokes on 1200cc ADV bikes. It not fast but at least its loud.

the Police aren't stupid
Contentious. They can be. I've been pulled for doing 40 on a dual carriage way (avoiding some dumb fcuk slow manoeuvring from a car that turned out to be plod), my dad got pulled for doing 70 on a dual carriageway (!), and my son got randomly pulled 4 times in 2 miles. I had a long conversation with an ex-plod who believed that all bicycles should be banned from the road. If you ever read "Motorcycle Roadcraft" you'd agree that its some useful content buried in the bleedin' obvious that you really shouldn't need to be told.

Human beings are idiots as a species and plod is behind the innovation curve.

(edit: they found my son's wallet once. jolly good show.)

Back in the dim and distant when speed cameras were new there was an article in "Bike" about possible ways to fool them. The one closest to the OP's question was to fit a light-sensing strobe to the bike that would flash back at the camera and white-out the number-plate. Whether this actually worked I don't know and now the cameras are digital I guess it's even more unlikely. Seemed an awful lot of faff to go through at the time.

The simple answer has to be just slow down, I'm afraid the days of riding knee down, balls out, hair on fire (other than a track day) are gone.
You are right. It probably why I see so many old fat blokes on 1200cc ADV bikes. It not fast but at least its loud.

the Police aren't stupid
Contentious. They can be. I've been pulled for doing 40 on a dual carriage way (avoiding some dumb fcuk slow manoeuvring from a car that turned out to be plod), my dad got pulled for doing 70 on a dual carriageway (!), and my son got randomly pulled 4 times in 2 miles. I had a long conversation with an ex-plod who believed that all bicycles should be banned from the road. If you ever read "Motorcycle Roadcraft" you'd agree that its some useful content buried in the bleedin' obvious that you really shouldn't need to be told.

Human beings are idiots as a species and plod is behind the innovation curve.

(edit: they found my son's wallet once. jolly good show.)

I can't disagree with you there mate, stupid, as far as stupid goes, isn't just confined to the general public .... I recall, not that long ago, a Police officer, who'll remain nameless, flashing a car over for speeding. He parked a short distance behind the car he had just pulled, got out of his van and went down the hill to speak to the driver. However, he didn't apply the handbrake or didn't apply it fully and the van rolled down the hill and into the rear of the car he had just stopped .... Embarrassing to say the least ......Would love to have caught that on camera, I would have made £250 out of that blooper :D

Back in the dim and distant when speed cameras were new there was an article in "Bike" about possible ways to fool them. The one closest to the OP's question was to fit a light-sensing strobe to the bike that would flash back at the camera and white-out the number-plate. Whether this actually worked I don't know and now the cameras are digital I guess it's even more unlikely. Seemed an awful lot of faff to go through at the time.

This could work to a degree. Theoretically at least. I'm a photographer and when I use flash guns they have a slave setting. That means if another flash gun goes off near them they will fire. So you could mount a flash gun and point it to your plate. The issue I could see apart from 1) It being highly illegal 2) Drawing even more attention to yourself as you light up is that depending on how fast you passed the camera the flashgun sensor may be out of range before it has a chance to go off.

Maybe a bit off topic, but is it true that in Germany a conviction for speeding will only be successful if the automatic camera has recorded an image of the driver ?

So I can't figure out how they can prosecute motorcyclists? Helmets and no front number plates ?

Maybe they just shoot you ?

Maybe a bit off topic, but is it true that in Germany a conviction for speeding will only be successful if the automatic camera has recorded an image of the driver ?

So I can't figure out how they can prosecute motorcyclists? Helmets and no front number plates ?

Maybe they just shoot you ?

Cameras in Germany face both ways. I have had a fine from Germany and the photos that were included left no doubt that it was me. The quality of the image was stunning.

Permanent cameras have in recent years changed in design, they now look like this. with 3 pairs of cameras at different levels. and older designs are being replaced where possible.

If you see a camera that looks similar, but is BLUE. this is not a speed camera but is involved in collecting tolls from HGVs and so on.

90361914_GermanSpeedcamera.thumb.jpg.2408e1acc98905c253ff93fce777266b.jpg

Edited by Gerontious