Carburettor

Cestrian1971

Hi everyone I’m new to bikes and need some advice. I’ve got a ER500 Kawasaki and the year is 1999. My carb is knackered and I’ve been offered another one from the same bike but his is a 1998 bike. Well it fit my bike please? Also are they easy to fit? Thank you.

Yes they are the same . Yes they are very easy to fit . Attatch the cables first . Remove the air box , stick the carbs on the engine , fit air box . If you get stuck post some pictures and I'll walk you through it . I've got an ER5 in bits at the moment so I can send pictures back .

Polish_20200919_124441872.thumb.png.9a6b7b1a6a2070e802837bd6dd03698f.png

I’m very much a novice so taking the carb apart is rocket science to me! But I do want to learn on how to fix problems myself.

It's eight screws and follow the manual . Do the tops one at a time and then do the float bowls one at a time . No need to take the whole lot apart at once . How are are you ever going to learn if you don't have a go ? Practice on the ones you took of . I bet there's nothing wrong with them anyway . What can go wrong with a carburettor in normal usage that can't be fixed ? Before you begin , read the manual . Then read it again .

Great advice. I’m going to have ago tomorrow. Thank you.

I've got a set off the bike at the moment so if you get stuck I can mirror what your doing .

Guest Richzx6r

Yes they are the same . Yes they are very easy to fit . Attatch the cables first . Remove the air box , stick the carbs on the engine , fit air box . If you get stuck post some pictures and I'll walk you through it . I've got an ER5 in bits at the moment so I can send pictures back .

:roll: sounds abit sordid offering to send pics if he sends you first :popcorn:

:roll: sounds abit sordid offering to send pics if he sends you first :popcorn:

I fail to see what could be the least bit arousing about a carburettor .

Polish_20200920_013509284.thumb.png.3607eec6e8c2e2b1a90c3681c6854ca3.png

Not in the manual but I would not take carbs apart, just to clean unless I had reason.

Spray with carb cleaner blow air at gently, if you can cobble up a fuel source run fuel through bowls with drain screw open. Even soak in petrol.

If bike runs fine great, if not then I would look to to take apart. Not something I have had to do yet to a bike. Even on outboards removing the first bowl and cleaning that has been enough.

Redex or your favourite 4 stroke fuel system cleaner would not go amiss either.

Don't forget after taking apart for cleaning they should be set and balanced as well.

There is a product for marine engines which I've used to clean carbs on outboards that have been laid up and got gummed up. Quicksilver Powertune, it's like carb cleaner on steroids.

I've used it on car carbs very effectively, often saving a strip down.

Hi the carbs are off the bike and they are going to a place to be properly cleaned. My question is after they’ve been cleaned could I put them straight back on to the bike or would they need setting again? I wouldn’t have a clue how to do that.

Hi the carbs are off the bike and they are going to a place to be properly cleaned. My question is after they’ve been cleaned could I put them straight back on to the bike or would they need setting again? I wouldn’t have a clue how to do that.

Well read the manual then . You can't fix bikes with a keyboard . You have already asked for advice and been given two choices . Read the manual and strip the carbs or squirt something down them and hope for the best . But you have chosen to pay someone to clean them anyway ( Presumably in an Ultrasound Bath ) Now you want advice on setting them . I've no idea whether they need adjustment . I presume someone had the Pilot Air Screws out so just set them to manufacturers spec . Do the same with the float heights and once they are back on the bike balance them using a set of Vacuum Gauges . This stuff is all described and illustrated in the manual . And when you've done all that you will have gained some knowledge .

Not a bad choice, IMHO as you can tell taking apart carbs is not something I would do lightly.

If the guy cleaning them knows what he's doing, or you get lucky they might go on and bike run fine. This is what happened when mine got sonic cleaned for me (I tried tinkering but screw heads started to round :o ) .

If not they might need tuning and balancing however if the bike runs a bit rough you might get away with ridding it to someone who can do the tuning bit for you. How ever don't forget carbs is one bit of a big picture, air filters fuel lines and filters all need to be in good condition.