Can you transport a bike like this?

potatobroxd

FB_IMG_1600494469472.thumb.jpg.99b11472c99f81f4c47fd24835301f60.jpg

I know this post maybe a little too american, but bear with me. My pickup is similar to the one in the picture and i was wondering if the weight of the bike may damage the door that opens up to the truckbed?(where the rear wheel is on)

Thanks for your expertise :cheers:

I'd have thought most trucks hand books give the weight rating for the tail gate so you don't risk overloading it when putting stuff in. As long as you don't exceed that you should be good. Most of the weight of the bike would be where the engine is so away from the gate. Whether it's legal in the UK I've no idea.

Should be fine. As a guess say the bike is 250kg and it has a 50:50 weight distribution between the front and rear wheel. If that was true there would be 125kg through the rear wheel. That would be the weight of a man. The door isn't going to be damaged by one man standing on it so it shoud be fine with the bike.

You'll need to sort a number plate of course if yours is obscured by the tailgate being down. Just bear in mind that any bumps will increase the load on the tailgate quite considerably. As I found to my cost when transporting a piano in my trailer. It was fine until the trailer dropped a wheel into a pothole and the piano leg punched a hole through the trailer floor.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

You'll need to sort a number plate of course if yours is obscured by the tailgate being down. Just bear in mind that any bumps will increase the load on the tailgate quite considerably. As I found to my cost when transporting a piano in my trailer. It was fine until the trailer dropped a wheel into a pothole and the piano leg punched a hole through the trailer floor.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :thumb:

By the way that is the proper risk assessment :thumb:

Think about how you get it up there .....

Thats the hard part ...

Extremely long ramp

Or

Having the bike above your shoulder height if walking it up .

Riding it up ......please attach videos ....

It's honestly not too bad, I've been taught to put down two ramps for you and the bike to do it safely.

Think about how you get it up there .....

Thats the hard part ...

Extremely long ramp

Or

Having the bike above your shoulder height if walking it up .

Riding it up ......please attach videos ....

It's honestly not too bad, I've been taught to put down two ramps for you and the bike to do it safely.

That's how my bike instructor used to load the bikes up into his van.

Out of curiosity i would get a plank of wood or even a tape measure/ bit of string and measure say 2m which is the normal bike ramp length ... Look at the angle it goes at ....

Even loading a new sprinter with a cbr600 was a struggle due to load height...