Pull behind trailer project

husoi

I would make sure of the legality of your rear reflectors on trailer as they should be of the triangle variety

Screenshot_20200919-193908.png

That and all other details were check with DVLA.

Those rules apply to trailers over 350kg. Apparently there is little legislation for trailers for motorbikes and DVLA told me that the ones I have are legal.

Same for the light setting, the important is the distance to the edge of the trailer, in this case the end of the mudguards.

There is a implied obligation to have a VIN plate indicating the weight which I have :)

See i would differ on that and they may have got your question mixed up with additional rear retro reflectors which are optional on 01 type trailers whilst red triangle reflectors are mandatory on all trailers

For relevance check the table page 4 of the 2019 iva manual ..( i know your not having it tested )

I know what you mean, apparently this type of trailer doesn't fall into 01 class, more like a 01-A class with no proper rules.

This because there are very few in the UK to be worth making any legislation for them.

While on the other side of the pond they have 1,000s of diy motorbike trailers in here you probably can count them by the fingers of 1 hand.

and hardly any noise from the bumps.

60 mph top speed on dual carriage

Let me just correct that for you :wink:

I am sure it was tested to maximum legal road speed...

I know that while pulling a trailer the max speed is 60mph

Testing conditions imply ensuring that no other road users are on sight and that it is safe to do so.

5mph over the limit for a few seconds is less than the 10% discretionary tolerance usually police uses and indicates me that it is safe to use the trailer up to legal speed limit without any risk :wink:

Maybe one of these days I'll take it to knockhill and do a full testing.

That would include 2 sets of tests, loaded and unladen and test if for drifting, suspension, cornering limits, etc.

Do you think I'll be bothered with all that? :P

Almost forgot..

The heavy brake test was done on an isolated road and it worked perfectly :thumb:

5mph over the limit for a few seconds is less than the 10% discretionary tolerance usually police

I got a course for 8mph over, towing a caravan in Dorset.

The police started the days lectures staying they understood how easy it is to be delayed by caravans and tourists then to speed afterwards.

They where not happy when I asked as I was a tourist and towing a caravan when I got caught, could I be exempted from the course? :cheers:

• 3 months later...

So,

Some weeks ago I've added internal lighting.

A LED strip just in case I had to open the trailer at night or in poor visibility.

1543650015_internalLED.jpg.b0be2f555fff8fd794d5eb4b096d1532.jpg

But I wasn't happy the way it was operated. Every time I wanted the light to be on I would have to use the switch in the light fitting. This not only means have my hands free and probably would forget to turn it off during the day when I wouldn't notice the light on.

Or even closing the lid looking away from the trailer and forget to turn the light off.

So I decided to add a fridge door switch that I have from an abandoned project.1033309175_lidswitch1.jpg.0f88c19816e40331f0532c0e19ba6194.jpg

784589690_lidswitch2.jpg.af70e5156adf9f64531ca225ecb67437.jpg

Added the toolbox I was looking for, this for tools, spare bulbs (mandatory in France) and to keep the battery for the lights.

toolbox1.jpg.257a4de18411099f3b57588b7a8f3c5a.jpg

Quite happy with the end result.

Photos with the light on and off

1981078678_Trailerlightoff.jpg.2f95eae2d16ab6adba824b416a498738.jpg

1647198268_trailerlighton.jpg.79e0476ae191bbf3f8c9c0c4fbfd56c0.jpg

The black and red cable you see is the charger until I get the solar cell.

The cooling box is just for perspective, don't think I will be taking it for a trip :) 

I don't think I'll be adding a light sensor to only turn the light on when is dark. :thumb: 

• Like 4