New Bike

manxie49

Took my mate to pick up his new bike yesterday, GS1250. Lovely bike, wasn't impressed with the salesman at all, my mate asked a question about the suspension and settings and the salesman told him to Google it!! I had a quick run on it yesterday afternoon, nice to ride, very smooth, lovely comfortable machine that I could see you going miles on in luxury. It certainly wouldn't be for me though, I found it a bit top heavy and I'm not sure how it would be using it for the daily commute, I think if I owned it I would have to have a 2nd bike for day to day use. For touring though, IMO this bike would be brilliant.

Which brings me to my next escapade, I'm looking at getting rid of the MT10, don't get me wrong I love the MT, absolutely brilliant bike, but, I need something a bit more suited to my needs. I want something that I can use day to day, commuting, use for the weekend runs with my mates, but also tour on, two up, in reasonable comfort "we were supposed to have been going to Verbier this year which had to be cancelled and in truth I wasn't looking forward to it on the MT". I've now got my selection down to two bikes, Yamaha Tracer 900 GT or a Triumph Tiger 900. I can pick both bikes up, used but in excellent condition for a good price, I've ridden a 700 Tracer and that bike was excellent, I know the Tracer is basically an MT-09 engine, which is pretty much tried and tested and seems to be a reliable and strong work horse, the GT variant has better suspension and a couple of other nice to haves for touring and winter riding. I've never owned or ridden a Triumph so can't comment, I am going to book a test ride on one at a local dealership though.

If anyone has owned either of these bikes and has any opinions, then, I'd be really interested in hearing them. :thumb:

@Mawsley Pretty sure he collected his new Triumph Tiger after lockdown and gave it a glowing review. Dunno if it was the 900 though.

Mine's the 1200, and if they were inventing a new niche for top heavy bikes with high COGs it'd be a class leader :D

...a Triumph Tiger 900.

...touring and winter riding

Depends on the year and model. The early one I had ran through winters like it had be designed to resist them, and that in the days before ACF50. Given the state of some showroom Triumphs made in the Far East, I'd not put money on them being able to do the same without a lot of cosseting. My 1200 will see very little of the road once the salt goes down that's for sure - despite it being one of the last made in the UK.

But comparing it to a Yam, I'd have little faith in them being any different tbh, given my experience with furry engines and corroded metalwork.

I had a Tiger 800. It was very comfortable and easy to ride all day long. Unlike the 1200, the cog was nice and low. Not too heavy either. I wrote a review about it here: https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=73320.

I've not ridden the 900, but by all accounts its a good improvement on the 800 - more power and modern toys - without losing what was good about the 800. Probably worth a test ride.

...a Triumph Tiger 900.

...touring and winter riding

Depends on the year and model. The early one I had ran through winters like it had be designed to resist them, and that in the days before ACF50. Given the state of some showroom Triumphs made in the Far East, I'd not put money on them being able to do the same without a lot of cosseting. My 1200 will see very little of the road once the salt goes down that's for sure - despite it being one of the last made in the UK.

But comparing it to a Yam, I'd have little faith in them being any different tbh, given my experience with furry engines and corroded metalwork.

Yes I get your take on that one, I ride all year round, I did have some problems with my S10, luckily ACF50 helps, a lot.

i had an MT-09 .. soft budget suspension that pogoed all over the place .. and a three cylinder engine that i ended up detesting .. funny cos i quite fancy an MT-10 lol..

I was doing some reading last night and I believe the suspension was an issue they've rectified? Whether that's on all models or just the GT variant I'm not sure. The MT10 is a brilliant machine, it can be a bit twitchy at the back end on the winter roads but so can a lot of bikes. My biggest gripe with the MT10 is the MPG, small tank and at best, for me anyway, 90 to 100 miles before the fuel light is flashing. Real pain in the proverbial if you're doing any distance. If you use it purely for a weekend blast with your mates then its great, I wouldn't recommend it for two up riding either.

Took my mate to pick up his new bike yesterday, GS1250. Lovely bike, wasn't impressed with the salesman at all, my mate asked a question about the suspension and settings and the salesman told him to Google it!! I had a quick run on it yesterday afternoon, nice to ride, very smooth, lovely comfortable machine that I could see you going miles on in luxury. It certainly wouldn't be for me though, I found it a bit top heavy and I'm not sure how it would be using it for the daily commute, I think if I owned it I would have to have a 2nd bike for day to day use. For touring though, IMO this bike would be brilliant.

Which brings me to my next escapade, I'm looking at getting rid of the MT10, don't get me wrong I love the MT, absolutely brilliant bike, but, I need something a bit more suited to my needs. I want something that I can use day to day, commuting, use for the weekend runs with my mates, but also tour on, two up, in reasonable comfort "we were supposed to have been going to Verbier this year which had to be cancelled and in truth I wasn't looking forward to it on the MT". I've now got my selection down to two bikes, Yamaha Tracer 900 GT or a Triumph Tiger 900. I can pick both bikes up, used but in excellent condition for a good price, I've ridden a 700 Tracer and that bike was excellent, I know the Tracer is basically an MT-09 engine, which is pretty much tried and tested and seems to be a reliable and strong work horse, the GT variant has better suspension and a couple of other nice to haves for touring and winter riding. I've never owned or ridden a Triumph so can't comment, I am going to book a test ride on one at a local dealership though.

If anyone has owned either of these bikes and has any opinions, then, I'd be really interested in hearing them. :thumb:

I've owned a tracer 900gt for about 14 months now and I'm just short of 8k miles on it with some fresh tyres now. I can't really grumble about the bike, it's been great for commuting touring and pillion touring. The only moan would be the screen which I swapped for an mra vario which is much better. I can't fault the suspension or engine, the ft has adjustable front and rear and the mechanic at the dealership set it up for me for 50/50 solo and pillion riding and it handles perfect now. I've used the tracer through summer and harsh winter. Other then some slight dulling on a few fasteners there has been no issues and I've used acf50 over the winter. The engine is great for commuting, cruising and some fast riding really flexible. There are 3 rider modes standard is great for most riding B for the winter on slippy roads and A is out and out sports riding but the throttle is too anarchy for me and I don't use that mode.

Try a demo at the time the tiger 900 wasn't out id say that too looks a great bike and the engine too gets some great reviews ultimately it's a test ride that will make your mind up.

I've owned a tracer 900gt for about 14 months now and I'm just short of 8k miles on it with some fresh tyres now. I can't really grumble about the bike, it's been great for commuting touring and pillion touring. The only moan would be the screen which I swapped for an mra vario which is much better. I can't fault the suspension or engine, the ft has adjustable front and rear and the mechanic at the dealership set it up for me for 50/50 solo and pillion riding and it handles perfect now. I've used the tracer through summer and harsh winter. Other then some slight dulling on a few fasteners there has been no issues and I've used acf50 over the winter. The engine is great for commuting, cruising and some fast riding really flexible. There are 3 rider modes standard is great for most riding B for the winter on slippy roads and A is out and out sports riding but the throttle is too anarchy for me and I don't use that mode.

Try a demo at the time the tiger 900 wasn't out id say that too looks a great bike and the engine too gets some great reviews ultimately it's a test ride that will make your mind up.

Thanks very much for that Mike, I've got tests rides on both bikes booked for next week. I actually spoke to a bloke today on a standard (not GT variant) Tracer, he mooted the same sort of things as yourself, seemed to love the bike, said its done everything he wanted, even went to Italy on it two up. I think it'll all come down to the test ride, see how it goes next week.... :thumb:

I was doing some reading last night and I believe the suspension was an issue they've rectified? Whether that's on all models or just the GT variant I'm not sure.

tbh. i don`t know .. only had mine 6 months ... lost any interest in them after that ....

The MT10 is a brilliant machine, it can be a bit twitchy at the back end on the winter roads but so can a lot of bikes.

i don`t do winter roads .. got a transit for that

My biggest gripe with the MT10 is the MPG, small tank and at best, for me anyway, 90 to 100 miles before the fuel light is flashing.

take it you had an aftermarket exhaust ?

I wouldn't recommend it for two up riding either.

have not done that in 20 years ..

I was doing some reading last night and I believe the suspension was an issue they've rectified? Whether that's on all models or just the GT variant I'm not sure.

tbh. i don`t know .. only had mine 6 months ... lost any interest in them after that ....

The MT10 is a brilliant machine, it can be a bit twitchy at the back end on the winter roads but so can a lot of bikes.

i don`t do winter roads .. got a transit for that

My biggest gripe with the MT10 is the MPG, small tank and at best, for me anyway, 90 to 100 miles before the fuel light is flashing.

take it you had an aftermarket exhaust ?

I wouldn't recommend it for two up riding either.

have not done that in 20 years ..

Unfortunately I have to do winter roads, had a few arse clenching moments, more so on the Autumnal leaf strewn roads than on the icy roads, in fairness the leaf strewn moments were probably my fault, sunny day and getting throttle happy :D I did put an aftermarket exhaust on yes, Akrapovic, it was only the end can though I never went down the road of a full decat .... And as for two up riding, 50% of my riding is two up, during the summer months anyway....

did put an aftermarket exhaust on yes, Akrapovic, it was only the end can though I never went down the road of a full decat ....

any aftermarket exhaust will have a negative impact on fuel economy .. your 30-35 mpg is not exceptional .. an OEM setup should return 42-45 mpg ..

Can't speak for the Yamaha but when I changed the end can only on my Multistrada it had absolutely zero effect on fuel consumption. At the end of the day what was on was a clear pipe with no restrictions and a single bend. What replaced it was the same just considerably more attractive (imo). No reason for it to affect fuel consumption.

I'm glad I missed this because it would have angered me 3 days ago which I did not need.

Don't go backward! I rode my mate's mt09 the other day - gutless! I traded my 10 in for a gixxer thou so I recommend that. Or an r1 (or similar). Otherwise I'm blocking you okay?

I'm glad I missed this because it would have angered me 3 days ago which I did not need.

Don't go backward! I rode my mate's mt09 the other day - gutless! I traded my 10 in for a gixxer thou so I recommend that. Or an r1 (or similar). Otherwise I'm blocking you okay?

Cheers Geofferz, :D I love the R1 and would go for one in a heartbeat, the missus wouldn't go anywhere near it though "a good thing some would say" tbh I really haven't made my mind up what to do, had a spin on my mates new BMW but that isn't for me, good bike, but to much for the day to day commute and run to the shops. I'm going to test ride a Triumph and a Tracer this week but I'm struggling to come up with something that I like that would be a good all rounder .... Daily commute, run to the shops, all year round riding, touring abroad and the odd weekend away, I think I just need to have two or three bikes in the garage :D

Sports bike, tourer and commuter? I'll allow it.

I have a Tiger 900 GT.

I’ve just done 600 miles so it’s going in for its first service next week.

I absolutely love it. It looks and feels quality. It rides a dream. It’s fast, comfortable and offers a commanding view. The cruise control is lovely on the motorway, and the engine sounds great.

I have a Tiger 900 GT.

I’ve just done 600 miles so it’s going in for its first service next week.

I absolutely love it. It looks and feels quality. It rides a dream. It’s fast, comfortable and offers a commanding view. The cruise control is lovely on the motorway, and the engine sounds great.

Booked in this afternoon for a test ride on one, certainly looks nice, I've got to make sure it ticks all the boxes .... if that's at all possible :thumb: