Newbies

curlylegend

Evening everybody,

This looks like a civilised sort of forum, thanks for having me.

I hope having a sense of humour does not get me chucked out ?

I'm an old codger just trying to get the most out of my second childhood.... as the Memsahib describes it !

We've been retired for years now and live in the west of France and a couple of years ago I treated myself to a second hand Yamaha TDM 850, a 1991 model. Since I was a kid I was a keen.... more correctly, obsessed, motorcyclist. But with one thing and another, I managed to be without a motorcycle for nearly thirty years.

Well, I'm making up for it now !

Welcome. I also have a Tdm 850 I bought earlier in the year, likes a drink of oil eh? How you getting on with yours?

I was aware of the earlier version's appetite for oil but in the two years and 30,000km I've had mine, oil consumption has never been a problem.

Mind you, I'm probably in a bit of a category of my own amongst TDM owners.... I really am an old fart !

I rarely take the revs over 4,000 rpm which suits the legal limit here for most main roads. I don't use Autoroutes because I'm a bloody miser and they're boring. Most of my touring is on minor back roads and deliberately avoiding tourist spots.

At first, I was using pretty expensive fully synth oil but that was the only time I had to top up between oil changes. Now I stick to the manufacture's recommendation, 10W40 either straight mineral or semi -synth. but I do check the level regularly.

From what I see on the estimable Carpe TDM site, if you ride it hard, it will use oil, no doubt about it !

I think it's the kind of bike you'll either get to like or you won't. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Guest Richzx6r

I'm an old codger just trying to get the most out of my second childhood

Hi......what do you class as "old"? Spit out the number my man!

The higher the number.....the better I'll feel about myself!

I'd say about 35 :popcorn:

Welcome to the forum :thumb:

at least @XTreme will have someone to share his stories of the second world war with now.

They're still finding unexploded bombs in Swansea now!

Don't know if similar is happening in Coventry [mention]fastbob[/mention]........cos that took a hammering as well?

at least @XTreme will have someone to share his stories of the second world war with now.

Don't know if similar is happening in Coventry @fastbob........cos that took a hammering as well?

Every few years the Ring Road gets closed when something is found .

Don't know if similar is happening in Coventry @fastbob........cos that took a hammering as well?

I've heard the people of Ethiopia are planning some sort of music aid concert for Covenrty.

OK, I first saw the light of day thirty years after the end of the Great War. So please forgive any cock-ups I make here, I just getting used to it.

Welcome. I also have a Tdm 850 I bought earlier in the year, likes a drink of oil eh? How you getting on with yours?

I was aware of the earlier version's appetite for oil but in the two years and 30,000km I've had mine, oil consumption has never been a problem.

Mind you, I'm probably in a bit of a category of my own amongst TDM owners.... I really am an old fart !

I rarely take the revs over 4,000 rpm which suits the legal limit here for most main roads. I don't use Autoroutes because I'm a bloody miser and they're boring. Most of my touring is on minor back roads and deliberately avoiding tourist spots.

At first, I was using pretty expensive fully synth oil but that was the only time I had to top up between oil changes. Now I stick to the manufacture's recommendation, 10W40 either straight mineral or semi -synth. but I do check the level regularly.

From what I see on the estimable Carpe TDM site, if you ride it hard, it will use oil, no doubt about it !

I think it's the kind of bike you'll either get to like or you won't. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Mines a 2000 year. I'm a slow rider but I do like to open her up now and again, for the sound as much as anything. Uses about half a litre for a thousand miles, so I check oil after every run . Bought an output shaft oil seal to see if that helps. I quite like the bike but not overly sold on it at the moment.

OK, I first saw the light of day thirty years after the end of the Great War. So please forgive any cock-ups I make here, I just getting used to it.

Blimey, that is older than Xtreme. Until now I wasn't sure that even possible :wink:

Top Man!

And I was born exactly one week before Roger Bannister ran the first sub four minute mile!

Blimey, that is older than Xtreme. Until now I wasn't sure that even possible :wink:

jimgiphy.gif.2294569f96f32adc6988a6da0cee332d.gif

. Edited by fastbob

I have a TDM 900 and cannot say I am so restrictive on revs, the rest I fully agree with.