Oil drain bolt

goat

Is it me or the thread doesn't look the same? :scratch:

I would worry too much about the bolt being shorter, it looks it has a magnet on the top.

As long it fits properly I don't see why would be a problem. Just make sure the seat for the bolt is large enough because the bolt is wider.

Thread is the same. Yeah it's got a magnet which I don't care for. Should seat ok as the OEM is flanged so same width as the larger head of the aftermarket. I just don't like there is less threads. Of course it could be the one that was in there wasn't correct?

At the end of the day the extra threads will be doing nothing inside the engine dipping in oil :)

The magnet is handy to capture any metal bits faffing around the oil :thumb:

I believe m12x20 might be OEM, with a 1.5 pitch? One year (2005?) they put a bolt in with a magnet from the factory. Maybe the aftermarket bolts are based on what was provided for a later year but still fits all the models including the early bikes like mine? 🤷

I think somebody (in China) has just knocked a load of these magnetic sump plugs out in a few sizes and then everyone and their dog has listed em on ebay. I got one but the magnet came loose. Probably wouldn't have jumped out but I just put a 'proper' plug back in.

in all the years i have been biking i have never swapped the the bolt and washer and never a problem :?

Nor me . As long as both surfaces are clean I've just put the thing back in . I have been known to apply a smear of silicone sealant occasionally . No need now . Sportsters don't have sump plugs .

Guest Richzx6r

in all the years i have been biking i have never swapped the the bolt and washer and never a problem :?

Nor me . As long as both surfaces are clean I've just put the thing back in . I have been known to apply a smear of silicone sealant occasionally . No need now . Sportsters don't have sump plugs .

Well it's common knowledge that farm vehicles dont need oil changes :popcorn:

Old bolt had been previously rounded off. It's a 14mm head but socket or spanner wouldn't grip. Got it off easily enough with a bolt remover thingy. No signs of damage to threads but no choice but to replace the bolt.

You just carry a roll of bailer twine with you, fixes anything.

You just carry a roll of bailer twine with you, fixes anything.

They don't bother fixing it, just distribute it constantly over the road and top up with fresh...