Tankbag

<t>How far do you commute, round trip distances</t>  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How far do you commute, round trip distances

• Under 20 miles
    • Under 5 miles
    • Under 40 miles
    • Over 60 miles

TMBF legends, I might be made redundant, I'm looking at another job but its 150 mile round trip commute. Is it too much, but the job does include consecutive overnights away, sometimes.

Just getting a overview on what's normal.

I am currently doing 81 miles each way which is why I am looking to change my employer.

Irony is I like them but told them 2 years ago I would work almost anywhere apart from inside the M25 and here I am on a site in Barnet!

Cheers

Ian

Since the lockdown that I struggle with no commuting time.

Normally I would have 50 min travelling time that will allow me to get in the "work zone" which was perfect. Nowadays without this I can't concentrate

Used to do an 85 mile round trip commute when I lived in Leicester, great in the summer but not so much fun in the winter, especially as a bit of the journey was on minor B roads that never got gritted. I still commute now, 38 miles round trip though, "easy life". 150 miles is doable, good gear for the winter ride and plenty of ACF50, sorted :thumb:

Used to do an 85 mile round trip commute when I lived in Leicester, great in the summer but not so much fun in the winter, especially as a bit of the journey was on minor B roads that never got gritted. I still commute now, 38 miles round trip though, "easy life". 150 miles is doable, good gear for the winter ride and plenty of ACF50, sorted :thumb:

Cheers Manxie, I'm also thinking gear is king for this, I'll have to up my declared miles on the steed though

As above, before I took redundancy.

It was a nice fast 45m-1hour trip which is more important than the distance I think. Filtering is fun, but not constantly and twice a day. I had none.

TMBF legends, I might be made redundant, I'm looking at another job but its 150 mile round trip commute. Is it too much, but the job does include consecutive overnights away, sometimes.

I have commuted distance for a short period in my life, its not good for you...

6 months 100 miles normally 4 days a week. To far too long 2h45m each way. I did do it by bike some days but primarily by train. The ride in was brill before rush hour, the ride home filtering for an hour before traffic "eased".

I found it unsustainable. In my view anything over an hour is not good for you.

Presently my commute is less than 2 miles and I intend to keep it as short as possible.

Cost up the commuting my partner was doing 30k miles a year in her car tyres maintenance fuel all mounts up. Just renewing her insurance she has done less than 10k (due to lockdown) for the first time in years...

However depending on how you live family commitments there are options. Plenty of people live in caravans for the days they are at work and return home for "weekends". Its not a bad way to live if your shifts and work are all grouped together. Alternatively your work moves you between different sites.

The advantages are its your home not a soul less hotel room. Its your own bed TV and you can keep as much beer in the fridge as you wish.

I would buy big enough that you don't need an awning as for all the straps you put on in winter they tend to take off and do damage.

I did this for a few years.

Cheers Manxie, I'm also thinking gear is king for this, I'll have to up my declared miles on the steed though

The right gear will make a hell of a difference, I wasted a lot of money on Tatt before investing in some good clobber, it certainly made the whole experience a lot more bearable :thumb:

I do 23ish miles each way, but it's an easy 23 on quite relaxed roads. I did do 60 miles each way at one point but that was north circ, M25 and A1. Was truly horrible. Friday nights coming home the worst, easily could take 3 hours if not longer. Never again.

I commute 20 miles each way. It is enough. I would do 30 if all quick road so 45-50 minutes ish each way.

I recently wondere about NHS commissioning in London with the idea I might commute once a week from Brum but be based in a local office the rest. I would do that for the right money.

I would not daily commute over an hour each side of the day because that is time away from my other responsibilities as a Dad and Husband. Without those responsibilities I would consider it but it would have to be attractive.

28 miles each way,Rugby to Banbury.

Average time on a bike is 35-40 mins but have done it in 24 mins once at 2 in the morning in my old Cavalier.

Worst was about 2 hrs when the roads were flooded after torrential rain.

It's about my limit on journey time and if I ever changed jobs again would go for a shorter commute.

I used to do 130 mile round trip while working shifts. Winter was nasty but zipping home a 3am on a summer morning was fun. I did door to door once in just over half an hour. :angel12: It was mostly M2 and A299 though.

50 miles round trip these days and to be honest, I just can't be arsed to get the bike out any more. Commuting killed biking a bit for me.

At its worst, I did 3hrs a day commuting on a bike in all weathers. These days I walk down the stairs, scratch my bollocks, and make a coffee around 10am. Absolutely bloody love working from home...until other members of the family were sent home to work.

That's one of the reasons I want to get my CBT - my current car commute is 25- 45 mins each way - on a bike I think you could comfortably do it in 10 - 15. My 'round trip' commute is under 5 miles..

How long will your 150 mile commute take.. time for me would be a factor!

I've been doing Telford/Smethwick for 20 odd years!

It's about 30 miles each way

I very rarely do it on the bike.

I'm fed up of it now! It's not the driving so much as the time wasted

I couldn't do days for very long without completely losing the plot :lol:

I used to do a similar commute... all on motorways .. was awful, just awful!

I'd say it depends on how you feel about the job and what the journey is like.