Newbies

curlylegend

Hi......what do you class as "old"? Spit out the number my man!

The higher the number.....the better I'll feel about myself!

OK, I first saw the light of day thirty years after the end of the Great War. So please forgive any cock-ups I make here, I just getting used to it.

That makes you 102 years old .

I would think it makes them 72?

OK, I first saw the light of day thirty years after the end of the Great War. So please forgive any cock-ups I make here, I just getting used to it.

That makes you 102 years old .

I would think it makes them 72?

I missed the 30 years bit , sorry .

Welcome. I also have a Tdm 850 I bought earlier in the year, likes a drink of oil eh? How you getting on with yours?

I was aware of the earlier version's appetite for oil but in the two years and 30,000km I've had mine, oil consumption has never been a problem.

Mind you, I'm probably in a bit of a category of my own amongst TDM owners.... I really am an old fart !

I rarely take the revs over 4,000 rpm which suits the legal limit here for most main roads. I don't use Autoroutes because I'm a bloody miser and they're boring. Most of my touring is on minor back roads and deliberately avoiding tourist spots.

At first, I was using pretty expensive fully synth oil but that was the only time I had to top up between oil changes. Now I stick to the manufacture's recommendation, 10W40 either straight mineral or semi -synth. but I do check the level regularly.

From what I see on the estimable Carpe TDM site, if you ride it hard, it will use oil, no doubt about it !

I think it's the kind of bike you'll either get to like or you won't. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Mines a 2000 year. I'm a slow rider but I do like to open her up now and again, for the sound as much as anything. Uses about half a litre for a thousand miles, so I check oil after every run . Bought an output shaft oil seal to see if that helps. I quite like the bike but not overly sold on it at the moment.

So yours is a Mk2 ? That is a fair amount of oil consumption. What type of oil do you use ? And is it leaking significantly ?

And finally are we getting off topic ?

I was aware of the earlier version's appetite for oil but in the two years and 30,000km I've had mine, oil consumption has never been a problem.

Mind you, I'm probably in a bit of a category of my own amongst TDM owners.... I really am an old fart !

I rarely take the revs over 4,000 rpm which suits the legal limit here for most main roads. I don't use Autoroutes because I'm a bloody miser and they're boring. Most of my touring is on minor back roads and deliberately avoiding tourist spots.

At first, I was using pretty expensive fully synth oil but that was the only time I had to top up between oil changes. Now I stick to the manufacture's recommendation, 10W40 either straight mineral or semi -synth. but I do check the level regularly.

From what I see on the estimable Carpe TDM site, if you ride it hard, it will use oil, no doubt about it !

I think it's the kind of bike you'll either get to like or you won't. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Mines a 2000 year. I'm a slow rider but I do like to open her up now and again, for the sound as much as anything. Uses about half a litre for a thousand miles, so I check oil after every run . Bought an output shaft oil seal to see if that helps. I quite like the bike but not overly sold on it at the moment.

So yours is a Mk2 ? That is a fair amount of oil consumption. What type of oil do you use ? And is it leaking significantly ?

I wouldn't worry too much about going off topic.....it's fairly relaxed here.

For example, I put up a thread a couple of days ago about changing the bike and it's now reached page 4 with the discussion somehow moved onto the subject of transvestites.

Hi......what do you class as "old"? Spit out the number my man!

The higher the number.....the better I'll feel about myself!

Top Man!

And I was born exactly one week before Roger Bannister ran the first sub four minute mile!

So April 1954 ? Jings, you'll remember BSA Bantams and Triumph Tiger Cubs, maybe even Triumph Terriers ? And all the other junk we got before the Japanese showed the world how to make motorcycles....... will people be upset by me saying that ?

Blimey, that is older than Xtreme. Until now I wasn't sure that even possible :wink:

Aye, it's possible, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't take recreational drugs, stay away from lewd people and remember, when you go out at night, wear white !

It's a good quality (shell? Can't remember exactly) semi synth. No leaks, no smoking. From what I've read its on the higher side of consumption but not uncommon. Possible light misting in line with the description for the output shaft seal, so will check that first but might just be something to live with.

Top Man!

And I was born exactly one week before Roger Bannister ran the first sub four minute mile!

So April 1954 ? Jings, you'll remember BSA Bantams and Triumph Tiger Cubs, maybe even Triumph Terriers ? And all the other junk we got before the Japanese showed the world how to make motorcycles....... will people be upset by me saying that ?

After 2 scooters in 1971, my first proper bike was a D7 Bantam! Awful POS!

Then a 3TA Triumph.....ex Welsh Water Board. Another awful POS! But not as awful as the Bantam.

In early 72 I got a T250J Suzuki Hustler......and it all changed!

I remember Tiger Cubs......even the Terrier!

And you won't upset them by calling the early Brit bikes awful....very few here who ever owned one. And besides that......they were shit. It's no secret!

I have a TDM 900 and cannot say I am so restrictive on revs, the rest I fully agree with.

TDM's are very popular here in France and they're nearly always flying past me at seriously illegal speeds !

For example, I put up a thread a couple of days ago about changing the bike and it's now reached page 4 with the discussion somehow moved onto the subject of transvestites.

Transvestites ? I've never ridden one of them. Who makes them ?

:lol:

How long you been in France? Cos I'm 15 years in Spain!

It's a good quality (shell? Can't remember exactly) semi synth. No leaks, no smoking. From what I've read its on the higher side of consumption but not uncommon. Possible light misting in line with the description for the output shaft seal, so will check that first but might just be something to live with.

Yes, it's odd isn't it ? It seems that some do and some don't ? I did hear that first usage from new... what used to be called "running in"... had a bearing on it. No proof though.

Twelve years now and quite settled. I was actually planning a trip to Africa via Spain this year but the bloody plague put a stop to that !

Damn !

Twelve years now and quite settled. I was actually planning a trip to Africa via Spain this year but the bloody plague put a stop to that !

Damn !

You've got your carte de sejours sorted?

Damn !

Not yet. Before this Brexit thing, we were told because we had passeports which clearly stated we were citizens of the European Community we didn't need Cartes de Residence or carte de sejour, particularly as we are retired. But now we've to get some sort of modified carte de residence. Which was fine until the powers that be decided to close the departement until Octobre !

What can you say about French Bureaucracy ? They invented it !

Are you well emplaced in Spain ? You're not one of those crime lords waiting for the door to be kicked in at 3am, are you ? And how's your Spanish ?

Damn !

Not yet. Before this Brexit thing, we were told because we had passeports which clearly stated we were citizens of the European Community we didn't need Cartes de Residence or carte de sejour, particularly as we are retired. But now we've to get some sort of modified carte de residence. Which was fine until the powers that be decided to close the departement until Octobre !

What can you say about French Bureaucracy ? They invented it !

Are you well emplaced in Spain ? You're not one of those crime lords waiting for the door to be kicked in at 3am, are you ? And how's your Spanish ?

Been a resident and running a business here since 2005......no change for us apart from the loss of FOM. But there's still ways round that. 8-)

Even though I now get a Brit Pension I'm still working and paying into the system....so potential loss of reciprocal health care has no bearing on us.

Not a crime lord.....this is what I do: https://www.webspain.net/ and have done since 1998.

As for the language, we've lived in a very rural and remote place in the mountains of Granada for 15 years.....no English spoken anywhere.

So it's probably fair to say I'm fluent in Spanish by now.

Blimey, that is older than Xtreme. Until now I wasn't sure that even possible :wink:

Aye, it's possible, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't take recreational drugs, stay away from lewd people and remember, when you go out at night, wear white !

dead right be seen be safe :)