The other ER5 restoration .

Great score ! Someone on the ER5 FB group was clearing out a job lot of ER5 junk so I persuaded him to flog me just the bars complete with controls , switchgear and bar ends for £10 ! Jumped on the Harley and shot over to Hinckley to grab them .

Polish_20200921_133124255.thumb.png.72a64aaef18630960efc8456fdc3ec7a.png

I've gone and done it again . I've bought a winter project and it's half finished in September . Setting aside the engine as a separate entity , all that's left to do is reinstall the wiring loom , change the fork seals , fettle the rear brake drum , rebuild the front caliper and find some decent shocks . Time to start looking in Blackberry bushes again . 😉

I've gone and done it again . I've bought a winter project and it's half finished in September . Setting aside the engine as a separate entity , all that's left to do is reinstall the wiring loom , change the fork seals , fettle the rear brake drum , rebuild the front caliper and find some decent shocks . Time to start looking in Blackberry bushes again . 😉

good to hear that you are well on it's case Bob :)

good to hear that you are well on it's case Bob :)

It's like a release of pent up frustration at having a Harley that is virtually maintenance free . Hydraulic Lifters , belt drive , oil in a tank and everything built to agricultural standards . Nothing worth getting the spanners out for .

Everything loosely bolted up in case I misplace a bit . That's all the shit and filth , pine needles , rust , spiders and flakey paint dealt with and now that it's spotlessly clean and all the painting is done it's time to move the project indoors . Fitting the wiring loom is next up when the push-in clips arrive . I'm attempting to keep it as per the original and avoid putting Zip Ties around the frame . Those switchgear units that came with the £10 bars are way better than what was on it which had all the writing rubbed off . Just spent the evening bashing the rear brake lever back into shape .

IMG_20200925_192016444.thumb.jpg.7d0861a01e2e53f37eb21512529805bf.jpg

I thought I'd give the forks a tidy up today . I'm aiming for a brushed effect which I will later give a coat of clear lacquer . Scotchpad and WD40 seems to do the trick .

IMG_20200927_145952269.thumb.jpg.c7291a251f8a97cdbf1513d0ec88b8ac.jpg

Calliper done . I regret not taking a Before picture because it was an absolute lump of shit . How anyone was using it to stop a motorcycle and surviving is beyond me . The finish is Halfords Aluminium Engine Paint , two coats and then baked in the oven for an hour .

Polish_20200930_180556980.thumb.jpg.e2063730d3619e78bcbd26a6eea659fc.jpg

Thermostat housing smartened up a bit . I popped the thermostat in a pan of water and brought it to the boil and it opened nicely . Ok , I didn't use a thermometer but it will do for now .

IMG_20201001_231823704.thumb.jpg.7da2362d0f5fc3cb35a848ec6a688717.jpg

Dosen't look any different but all the electrics are installed and connected up . Next time I take off a wiring loom I'll remember to take more photos ! Now I can turn my attention to the engine .

IMG_20201004_192916923.thumb.jpg.baea65680a39fbe1406cdeff1bf73fa2.jpg

Braided line has arrived . I bought from a Northern Irish company called OHA for £22 and I'm very pleased with it . I like to put a few highlights in a contrasting colour on my bikes . My Gasket Set and Exhaust Studs are also here but I'm waiting for an 8 mm Stud Extractor before I go near them . Then it's pop the lid off and see what horrors lurk within . Oh , I've ordered some Camshafts for £15 as well because I don't like the look of what's in it. That's the great thing about ER5s , parts are abundant and cheap especially if you join a FB group . I'v even had a bit of free stuff .

Polish_20201007_182723189.thumb.jpg.6233d326d2c7e605822e81887e08111b.jpg

Valve cover , descabbified .

Looks smart. How did you do that?

Hours of hand scrubbing with progressively finer Scotch Pads ( Toolstation equivalent ) degreased with cheapo Brake Cleaner , Two wet coats of Halfords Aluminium Engine Paint and then when it was dry I baked it in a medium oven for an hour to cure it . Life used to be so much easier when Nitromors actually worked .

Hours of hand scrubbing with progressively finer Scotch Pads ( Toolstation equivalent ) degreased with cheapo Brake Cleaner , Two wet coats of Halfords Aluminium Engine Paint and then when it was dry I baked it in a medium oven for an hour to cure it . Life used to be so much easier when Nitromors actually worked .

Nice. You must be a very patient man!

Can you link the scotchbrite please? I've been meaning to try some but don't like the price of the pukka ones.

Nice. You must be a very patient man!

Can you link the scotchbrite please? I've been meaning to try some but don't like the price of the pukka ones.

https://www.toolstation.com/contour-sanding-pads/p10736