Not bike related? Talk about it here!
Throttled
Subscriber
Bike(s): Versys 1000 GT
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 500 times

Re: Nob of the Day.......

Post by Throttled » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 pm

I have another nomination. The Missenden Flyer Youtube bike blogger who has posted a video of a road test where he can be clearly seen doing 61mph in a 30mph limit. I like his videos and accept that is not like him, but still, that is a licence losing speed, as Rio Ferdinand has just found out as he has been banned for 6 months for doing 85mph in a 70mph limit.
Audiophile/biker/sceptic

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): BMW F800GT
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Throttled wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 pm
I have another nomination. The Missenden Flyer Youtube bike blogger who has posted a video of a road test where he can be clearly seen doing 61mph in a 30mph limit. I like his videos and accept that is not like him, but still, that is a licence losing speed, as Rio Ferdinand has just found out as he has been banned for 6 months for doing 85mph in a 70mph limit.
I watch his videos occasionally even though he annoys me, purely because annoyingly he may have a bike or a product I've been interested in. Not a subscriber or regular watcher. And I've seen him do this a few times. Including one bike review where he had just picked the bike up and proceeded to do a multi-vehicle overtake and speeds approaching 90mph. Didn't seem overly clever to me.

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 1087 times

Post by S-Westerly » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:19 pm

He seems to have got worse for this over recent years. In his earlier vids he was more careful to obey limits other than NSL ones.
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 pm

A day late, but I'm nominating my insurance company.

5th August, agree to buy a new bike. Will be ready the following week

8th August, sell my bike and new owner rides it away

10th August, need to get the ball rolling to switch the vehicles on my cover around. Know currently they prefer you to submit online rather than call. Login to my online portal and see a letter generated that day about my cover. Read it and it says:

We’ve found that [bike] is showing as being insured with us twice. This means that someone else has insured since you took out your policy. We’re very sorry about this.

If you want to keep your policy, please get in touch by webchat as soon as possible.

If we don’t hear from you by 17/08/2020 we’re sorry but we’ll have to cancel your policy from 24/04/2020, which is the date the other policy started, as we can’t have two policies running on the same bike at the same time.

I assume that the new owner of my bike has the same insurer. No bother, I go onto web chat, say I've received the letter but I'm changing the bike anyway. Operator says they've noted that the insurance shouldn't be cancelled and sorts out the bike change.

Fast forward to yesterday, post arrives with a letter dated the 17th August confirming that my insurance will be cancelled on the 24th.

Back onto webchat. I assume the letter has just been generated in error but figure it's worth sorting out and I'm asked a load of questions. And to double check the bike on my policy. Which is of course my new bike.

I'm thanked and told that my bike is insured with them twice but they will note that this cover shouldn't be cancelled.

Er... can I just check that the letter I received last week was for my old bike, and this is for my new bike. Just you said you'd noted I didn't want the cover cancelled but you've still sent me this letter. And I don't get why you're asking me about this bike.

No, she says. The letter on the 10th relates to this bike, she can see that in the notes.

Er..........

Simply put..... you're telling me that you knew I was going to insure a bike with you that I hadn't actually fully purchased yet and hadn't told you about yet? That doesn't make sense and you're starting to worry me now.

"I am not sure of this I'm afraid as we have a technical team that look behind the scenes, so it must of showed up on a report." is the reply.

Er....

Can somebody phone me please, as I'm not accepting that a technical team knew I was buying a bike before I told you about it.

Nope, that's not possible (of course it is!) but rest assured the policy won't be cancelled. So I simply ask for confirmation in writing, so if they do feck up and cancel it they can't just point to the letters they sent me and say "well we did warn you".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's as simple as the whole thing relates to my last bike, but the fact she was so adamant that it was about my new bike does make me worry that I have a whole new ballache to deal with next week.

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Challenge score: 30
Has liked: 3652 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Post by Richzx6r » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:54 pm

SometimesSansEngine wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 pm

5th August, agree to buy a new bike. Will be ready the following week

8th August, sell my bike and new owner rides it away

10th August, need to get the ball rolling to switch the vehicles on my cover around. Know currently they prefer you to submit online rather than call. Login to my online portal and see a letter generated that day about my cover. Read it and it says:

We’ve found that [bike] is showing as being insured with us twice. This means that someone else has insured since you took out your policy. We’re very sorry about this.

If you want to keep your policy, please get in touch by webchat as soon as possible.

If we don’t hear from you by 17/08/2020 we’re sorry but we’ll have to cancel your policy from 24/04/2020, which is the date the other policy started, as we can’t have two policies running on the same bike at the same time.

I assume that the new owner of my bike has the same insurer. No bother, I go onto web chat, say I've received the letter but I'm changing the bike anyway. Operator says they've noted that the insurance shouldn't be cancelled and sorts out the bike change.

Fast forward to yesterday, post arrives with a letter dated the 17th August confirming that my insurance will be cancelled on the 24th.

Back onto webchat. I assume the letter has just been generated in error but figure it's worth sorting out and I'm asked a load of questions. And to double check the bike on my policy. Which is of course my new bike.

I'm thanked and told that my bike is insured with them twice but they will note that this cover shouldn't be cancelled.

Er... can I just check that the letter I received last week was for my old bike, and this is for my new bike. Just you said you'd noted I didn't want the cover cancelled but you've still sent me this letter. And I don't get why you're asking me about this bike.

No, she says. The letter on the 10th relates to this bike, she can see that in the notes.

Er..........

Simply put..... you're telling me that you knew I was going to insure a bike with you that I hadn't actually fully purchased yet and hadn't told you about yet? That doesn't make sense and you're starting to worry me now.

"I am not sure of this I'm afraid as we have a technical team that look behind the scenes, so it must of showed up on a report." is the reply.

Er....

Can somebody phone me please, as I'm not accepting that a technical team knew I was buying a bike before I told you about it.

Nope, that's not possible (of course it is!) but rest assured the policy won't be cancelled. So I simply ask for confirmation in writing, so if they do feck up and cancel it they can't just point to the letters they sent me and say "well we did warn you".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's as simple as the whole thing relates to my last bike, but the fact she was so adamant that it was about my new bike does make me worry that I have a whole new ballache to deal with next week.
Definitely sounds like a ball ache is on its way, though as you say how can they know about a new bike that you hadn't even told them about previously unless you're being covertly monitored :scratch:
Its better when its loaded

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 am

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 pm

[....]

Well, as an update, they don't appear to have cancelled it yet, so touch wood.

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Datatag.

Whilst I have limited faith in its ability to actually really prevent my bike being stolen and any parts identified, it's in my nature to try to keep paperwork up to date.

BUT
  1. You have to complete a paper form to do the change of keeper
  2. They want you to either send a cheque (a what) or HANDWRITE IN ALL YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS INCLUDING YOUR CARD SECURITY CODE ONTO THE FORM AND POST IT TO THEM. I guess I then trust they receive it safely and also dispose of those details securely ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  3. For all the above, they want to charge the princely sum of £15.50 for someone to update the record. Can I haggle that down to three quid and we're all good?
I wouldn't be surprised if they chuckle with glee every time a new keeper can actually be bothered to send them such a exorbitant amount.

Now... does anyone know if you declare Datatag on your insurance if it's actually a condition that you keep the registered keeper details up to date?

Swagman
Subscriber
Bike(s): 2003 Yam Fazer1000 +2007 Fz6
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Swagman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Come on your talking insurance here anything they can find wrong with the policy voids cover. :D

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Yeah same reason I don't declare the factory fit alarm....

I view Datatag as a sticker at least. It's not on there at the mo but was just thinking forward to the renewal. But I'm reasonably sure the premium reduction over a few years wouldn't cover the admin fee....

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 508 times

Post by onesea » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:46 pm

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:05 pm
" HANDWRITE IN ALL YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS INCLUDING YOUR CARD SECURITY CODE ONTO THE FORM AND POST IT TO THEM.
That is actually seriously questionable behaviour.
The security code (3 digits on the back) I understand was introduced to stop people taking quick impression of your card and being able to use over the telephone...

They might as well say send us your card and pin number, we will go to the bank and get the cash...

Who would you report them to....
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

James in Brum
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZZR600D1
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 462 times

Post by James in Brum » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 pm

onesea wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:46 pm
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:05 pm
" HANDWRITE IN ALL YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS INCLUDING YOUR CARD SECURITY CODE ONTO THE FORM AND POST IT TO THEM.
That is actually seriously questionable behaviour.
The security code (3 digits on the back) I understand was introduced to stop people taking quick impression of your card and being able to use over the telephone...

They might as well say send us your card and pin number, we will go to the bank and get the cash...

Who would you report them to....
Maybe visa and MasterCard
Time spent being groovy to each other is always well
Spent

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 840 times
Been liked: 2303 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:50 pm

The lady (and I use the term in the most generous sense) behind me who tailgated me through heavy traffic. When I heard an emergency vehicle siren I pulled over, she tried to then overtake, and forced the emergency vehicle into the path of oncoming traffic.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

mojobanana
Bike(s): CB1000R
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by mojobanana » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:39 pm

Went out for a ride on Tuesday evening. Two BMWs tailgated me for miles (not at the same time), then a complete d*ck in a white Astra van tried to undertake me on a roundabout.

Sigh.

XTreme
Useless campaign manager
Bike(s): BMW G650GS
Has liked: 2251 times
Been liked: 2946 times

Post by XTreme » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:50 pm

mojobanana wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:39 pm
Went out for a ride on Tuesday evening. Two BMWs tailgated me for miles (not at the same time), then a complete d*ck in a white Astra van tried to undertake me on a roundabout.

Sigh.
So you had 2 Beemers up your ass and then a dick tried to get underneath you?

I don't suppose you've got any pics?

SometimesSansEngine

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Posted a rant in my IAM group about how the "discounted" IAM insurance is full of shit. Amongst the people agreeing are two that have taken it upon themselves to lecture me that I need to consider that cheap is not better and how I'll regret it if I make a claim.

Yeah, because insurers are warm fluffy kittens if you pay them a couple of hundred quid more who just love paying out.

Talk about drinking the kool aid.

Return to “General Chat”