Car purchase,what have I done? :P

The Hitcher

Why do you always assume the worst, six?

He could be with the AA - you never know 😉

With a rangerover rac is optional, alcoholics anonymous is obligatory.

The very first rr was fine, fit electronic ignition and carry some oil it would cross the world, anything post 3.9 and Asda and back is a push.

I don't know, the newer ones aren't THAT bad, well except the P38, that is, and then some!.

To be fair if I were crossing the world I'd want one of these:

maxresdefault.jpg

I freely admit they're a better car, it's just they cost so much more to buy that I'd rather take the chance and have that lovely interior :D.

I'm looking forward to revisiting this thread in the future to either inform you all its gone catostophically wrong and laugh at myself or that it hasn't missed a beat and laugh at you all :P .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is there some form of driving manual that comes with these? Because most of them seem to be driven by idiots. A local business owner gave me a lift in his the other day and he complained that whilst he loves the car he felt embarrassed by how they are usually driven.

rVdm-aN8.jpeg Replacement turbo's if I remember correctly.

Body off is on the Sport, the Vogue is a monocoque so a bit hard to remove the body! :lol: , that was the main reason I discounted the Sport, turbo replacement on the Vogue isn’t nearly as bad, still a good weekends work to DIY and still not easy though.

To be honest though if anything major goes I will just spares/repair or on eBay and get most of or all my money back, I had to take a punt on it at £3k!.

Nice car, the only Land Rover I've ever owned was an old Defender, drove like a tractor, "leaked like one as well", tend to expect it from the Defender though .... Hope it all goes ok for you :thumb:

yeah i had a 75 S111 for seven years and it was as good a condition as the day i bought it when it went

The older Landy's were brilliant, when it rained outside you used to get wet inside with mine, :lol: Drove a lot of S3's and defenders in the Army, the abuse they took, and kept going, was unreal.

• 3 weeks later...

First issue has arisen! :lol: , bit of vibration/noise just starting when you put the engine under heavy load coming more from the rear.

Had a look this morning and the rubber centre bearing in the rear prop shaft is starting to get some play in it, so new bearing time, or probably easier time for a new prop!.

First issue has arisen! :lol: , bit of vibration/noise just starting when you put the engine under heavy load coming more from the rear.

Had a look this morning and the rubber centre bearing in the rear prop shaft is starting to get some play in it, so new bearing time, or probably easier time for a new prop!.

giphy-downsized.gif.a6bedfcc7d4412e4968f89b6b2c606e5.gif

In principle, I quite like the idea of owning one of these (RR or even a disco) - the biggest downer for me, as said already, is the association with those other 4x4/suv/pickup cretins that try to bully every other vehicle off the road.

I used to have an xc90 which was fabulous apart from being woefully underpowered ( base 2.4 d5) - I'd definitely have another one of those.

Also had a ford explorer years ago, which was fun - 4wd didn't work properly, so drifting around wet roundabouts became almost compulsory. 12-15mpg wasn't fun though.

giphy-downsized.gif

To be fair I don’t think 500 ish ft/lbs of torque and my occasional lead foot helped the poor rubber bearing :lol: , it’s not that bad yet but ordered a new bearing and will probably do it at the weekend doesn’t look very difficult to do, at least fixing it will give me something to do in the winter when I can’t ride the bike!.

In principle, I quite like the idea of owning one of these (RR or even a disco) - the biggest downer for me, as said already, is the association with those other 4x4/suv/pickup cretins that try to bully every other vehicle off the road.

I used to have an xc90 which was fabulous apart from being woefully underpowered ( base 2.4 d5) - I'd definitely have another one of those.

Also had a ford explorer years ago, which was fun - 4wd didn't work properly, so drifting around wet roundabouts became almost compulsory. 12-15mpg wasn't fun though.

Yeah I understand what you mean, you do see a lot of them being driven badly, XC90s are a really good car, I had a V70 with the D5 engine and thought it was great, although I can see your point might be a bit underpowered pulling an XC90 around!.

Sadly I’m a long way from being able to afford the SUV I’d really like :( .

The answer is, something I will no doubt come to regret down the line but for now am very much enjoying.

Needed a few jobs doing on it which I’ve done this weekend, drives pretty well and was really good value for money, just crossing all fingers that it’s a good one and isn’t going to go spectacularly wrong on me.

It will look better once it’s covered in mud :mrgreen: .

CEBBB073-847B-417D-A291-9F1B18E6F82D.jpeg

the was a recall done on them i cant remember which year you better check, oil pump failure!

oil pump runs off the timing belt the fault was the pulley would fail and timing belt comes off engine f**ked!!

The answer is, something I will no doubt come to regret down the line but for now am very much enjoying.

Needed a few jobs doing on it which I’ve done this weekend, drives pretty well and was really good value for money, just crossing all fingers that it’s a good one and isn’t going to go spectacularly wrong on me.

It will look better once it’s covered in mud :mrgreen: .

CEBBB073-847B-417D-A291-9F1B18E6F82D.jpeg

the was a recall done on them i cant remember which year you better check, oil pump failure!

oil pump runs off the timing belt the fault was the pulley would fail and timing belt comes off engine f**ked!!

That is on the V6 engine,thankfully this one is the V8 and immune from that particular issue, there are many other possible ones though :lol: .