Listening to music while riding

GiorgioG

We got Domio Pro headsets so that he can talk to me...(im the quiet one). I love listening to music while riding and Andy listens to stories. I like the sound because i can still hear the bike. I dont like the feeling of being disconnected from it. The Domio works by vibration so you get a whole sound surround experience. The down side is everyone can hear it as its mounted on the outside of the helmet.

I thought I'd seen a Fortnine video a while back on the topic of music and distraction, but I can't find it. Basically, as I remember it, the science says that music engages a different part of the brain to riding, so it's not a problem, unlike, say, looking at navigation apps.

Google brought this up -- https://canadamotoguide.com/2020/03/30/the-distraction-of-a-motorcycle-intercom/ -- quite good, it makes a distinction between active and passive listening.

I have in the past listened to music when I was commuting to/from work, mainly to kill boredom when stuck in traffic. Most of the time I don't realise the music is playing in the background until I have stopped at the lights; I also only have one earphone on as having two would be slightly dangerous IMO.

Edited by JackieOWheels

Without music my mind goes into overdrive and i am mentally fatigued even after a 3 mile ride .

Music on .... I remain focused on riding and its required obs and can introduce other thought processes if i desire or dismiss them and just concentrate on my riding .Happily ride all day

If you are able to play close attention you will notice that you only realise that music is playing when you're relaxed and on "cruise" mode.

In bends, junctions, overtaking, etc. you won't be able to listen to the music because your attention shifts to the more important actions you will be doing.

You will still be hearing everything else around you but the music just "disappears".

Over 30 years ago I fitted small speakers into my helmet for my motorway commute, now I only ride for fun I don't need the music, even when I did long rides in France and Spain I didn't bother, the ride was enough

Currently using the Interphone Tour, the Mrs and I can communicate, listen to our own music, receive phone calls and I get the sat nav directions. The choice is ours to use or not, as and when. Sometimes I like to ride and just listen to the bike.