Photos lacking context

S-Westerly

You know when you sometimes see a photo and think WTF? Usually just stand alone and not in context with any thing? Then when you get more background it turns out to be not what you thought at all. Here's a couple of out of context pics.IMG_20200925_140933.thumb.jpg.ba9db0bfca9a2e79227022a6df43bbaf.jpg

Not quite a disaster 1

IMG_20200925_141052.thumb.jpg.d706c371346442d4cf67fce251ab2f19.jpg

Definitely not a disaster

Is this your boat, obviously I use the term boat very loosely

Tis indeed. The small ship in front had just delivered us 250 tons of diesel and we were stopped in the water. She was actually about 100 metres off our bow and this manoeuvre is quite common. Had I been rattling along at 15 knots in the Channel then the context would have been somewhat different and probably on News at Ten.

Guest Richzx6r

So how long does your floating island/continent take to stop from flat out?

Thinking distance: 1 foot

Reaction distance: 1.5 feet

Stopping distance: 2.5 million miles

:lol:

Rectified your reply

We know where to come when Boris and his gang of robber barons with their snouts in the alternative energy pig trough decide to turn off the petrol . Just hide that thing up a creek somewhere out of site and we'll bring our own buckets .

C130 Hercules with the new high efficiency six bladed props .

:thumb:

And the pilot's name?

Fluke pic I took about 3 years ago near Banbury.

I was passenger in a van as I saw it approaching, whipped the phone out and snapped this pic with it perfectly framed in the pylon.

Its not a boot its a Schooner.

Dingey.jpg

Wish I had one of them right now.

What's yours called? Exxon valdez 2

I'm not allowed to give it's full name but suffice to say it's owned by a large Scandinavian company that is big in ferries as well as tankers. From full speed ahead to stopped is not that bad. A shade under 3 miles under control. A crash stop which will probably break the engine or at least the chief engineer takes less than 2.

For reference this one weighs in at 159,000 tonnes. My biggest which has long since been scrapped was a somewhat larger 509,000 tonnes. Google "Esso Atlantic" if you want to know more.