Anything on a bike likely to need > 100NM torque?

Beans

Just bear in mind that those torque figures are meant for brand new and perfectly clean threads unless specified otherwise. That is, no your dirty rear axle and used nut doesn't need the book spec and no the used sump plug, non-OEM washer and aluminium threads now covered in oil also doesn't need the book spec. It just needs doing up enough so it won't come undone.

I use a 5-25Nm torque wrench more than a big one because the bolts for cam caps, coated in fresh oil like the book says, need to be right. Great big rusty/greasy fasteners on the chassis aren't nearly as picky.

I totally get where you're coming from but I don't think our mutual friend will be convinced . Bear in mind that you should use a tiny little torque wrench in INCH pounds to avoid over tightening cam caps . There's many a GSXR and the like been ruined because someone couldn't believe how LITTLE torque is needed to hold down a camshaft .

So they ruined their GSXR because they didn't use a torque wrench?

Not ruined if you fancy doing 20 Helicoils and 8 more 7mm ones for the valve cover .

I've been hand tightening the wheel nuts on my wife's cars for years without worrying about torque settings :twisted:

Just finger tight 😉

You're wasting your time . There are Torque Wrench believers and there are Torque Wrench non believers and neither faction will be persuaded otherwise . The non believers probably had Meccano and the believers probably had Playstation when they were kids . 😉

Hard to argue against torque wrench usage though isn't it. My rear axel bolt thing is 190nm - I'd prefer to spend £70 on a wrench and have the peace of mind that it's stuck on properly for when I'm cornering at 130... on a track. £70 is like 1/3 of a tyre so...

Just finger tight 😉

You're wasting your time . There are Torque Wrench believers and there are Torque Wrench non believers and neither faction will be persuaded otherwise . The non believers probably had Meccano and the believers probably had Playstation when they were kids . 😉

Hard to argue against torque wrench usage though isn't it. My rear axel bolt thing is 190nm - I'd prefer to spend £70 on a wrench and have the peace of mind that it's stuck on properly for when I'm cornering at 130... on a track. £70 is like 1/3 of a tyre so...

Never into track days but I'd just give the wheel nut on the GSXR 1100 a good yank with a wrench and a tubular extension until my hand hurt and I was good to go . I guess what it comes down to is after a lifetime of mostly clapped out bikes with multiple owners , rust , salt , shit and filth , I've come to treat every nut and bolt as an individual entity . It's no good carrying on until the click when you can feel the fastener not getting any tighter . Stop before it strips and it will be fine . A nut or bolt has to rotate to come undone so if there's no such force acting upon it , it isn't going anywhere . Incidentally , just looking at my ER5 as I write this and I notice that everything safety critical on the back end is split pinned anyway .

Torque wrench's are great. Till you come home and your son is undoing his rear wheel nut with it. 😭

For goodness sake . He should be using a proper wrench ............ And using the Torque Wrench to hit it with .

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my re-chromed front forks today, having previously stripped them and replaced the seals following them being checked by a local triumph dealer.

I have 2 torque wrenches one max's at 15 Nm and the other starts at 25Nm, I needed 20Nm.

I also know having stripped them twice the feel of undoing them was different, Triumphs rebuild where much tighter.

So I phoned my friend with all the tools and told him it was time for a best guess, predictably he turned up (he hates my crude hap hazard methods) with a suitable torque wrench late in the rebuild, so I had already guessed again.

3 out of 8 hex bolts needed 1/8 of a turn the rest seemed spot on.

An engineer once told me tools are the length they are because you should not need any more force to do them up :wink: .