Best Motorbikes for under £4000?

Feriluce

I went from an RS125 2 stroke to a GPZ500s, then another GPZ500s, Kawasaki ZX6R, GPZ500s, GSXR750, GPZ500s and then finally a GSXR750. Usually after I write off a bike I go back to buying a GPZ500s, or write off the GPZ500s and then buy another one, but they're really hard to find now and the ones left have issues. I really wanna spend only like £1000-2000 max if it's used as they tend to need more money spending on them. I've seem some bargain bikes that have only done a few hundred miles for less than £4000, like the Husqvarna Vitpilen and the the Honda Monkey looks interesting... but I dunno.

I need something for winter as cars always hit me on a bicycle in the dark, even with bright lights flashing. Last year I was hit three times and I'm not doing it again, I've had enough of cars speeding down dark country lanes into me, thankfully I've only had one broken bone from it.

I'm hoping they are some little gems I don't know about like the GPZ500s which I loved so much, but that was when you could get them for £600-800 working. Ducati Diavel would be a perfect mix of sports and comfort, but it's too expensive... I do like my sports bikes as I like leaning around corners, but they're not too practical in winter.

Keep in mind I will probably write it off within three years which is why I won't spend £10k on a bike.

I'm not clear... you after a cheap, reliable sports bike or a cheap, reliable winter hack?

Cheap reliable sportsbike: CBR600RR? R6? Cheap reliable winter hack: ER6F? Fazer? Something in between: CBR600F?

Also, when you say you write the bike off, do you sell it for scrap or crash it and then sell it for scrap? :wink:

Usually after I write off a bike I go back to buying a GPZ500s, or write off the GPZ500s and then buy another one

I need something for winter as cars always hit me on a bicycle in the dark......Last year I was hit three times.....I've only had one broken bone from it.

Keep in mind I will probably write it off within three years which is why I won't spend £10k on a bike.

This is the best intro I've ever seen.......make this man a Mod FFS!

Or failing that......because actually riding a bike obviously isn't a prerequisite here for being a Mod......there's always TOTY in December!

Seems like a win-win situation all round to me!

What you say [mention]Six30[/mention]?

Do you mean write it off as in crash it, or as in run it into the ground?

Cheap bikes are a thing of the past unless you buy second hand Chinese. A few years back I picked up a 2006 CBF 500 as a work bike for £1500. Looking now the same bike is over £2k. The build quality of older bikes is better so their value seems to be going up rather than down.

I ride all year through all weathers, I mainly just crash in the Summer, but I did have a Lorry turn right in a left only and run me over which broken my arm and that paid out ok. Luckily my insurance hasn't been high as I was only at fault for one of them, but I dispute it cause they were parked in the middle of a blind 60mph corner, I had to take avoiding action and hit the oncoming car. Had 12 accidents exactly, but I've never been to blame but that one, even then I kept my no claims and my insurance on the 750 only went up to £50 a month.

When you're riding constantly it just happens and it has been fewer than once a year.

I think PCP has really killed the market, for some reason everyone has been convinced paying loads for something you never own is a good idea? They get a new vehicle every 4 years, and all these manufactures then tell us how they're so good for the environment, while loads of vehicles sit rotting in fields.

I fancy a v twin, I've never ridden one before, but it has to check all the boxes of being able to knee down, but be stable on ice. I could ride the GPZ 500s like that... even if it was lethal with the bouncy castle front suspension, I could ride to work and keep it upright. Where my ZX6R and GSXR, the front would go and there was no way of saving it on ice, they were too heavy and it put you over the front with the weight.

Luckily my insurance hasn't been high as I was only at fault for one of them, but I dispute it cause they were parked in the middle of a blind 60mph corner, I had to take avoiding action and hit the oncoming car.

You definitely need to change your riding technique, go on an advanced riding course with IAM or other such organisation, i am surprised you are still alive :shock:

Had 12 accidents exactly, but I've never been to blame but that one, even then I kept my no claims and my insurance on the 750 only went up to £50 a month.

When you're riding constantly it just happens and it has been fewer than once a year.

12 crashes :shock: wow I'm totally impressed you're still with us to tell us :cheers:

I've had one in 10 years (about 75k miles): a low side at 15mph when the front hit gravel. Completely my fault - I took the corner too wide and ended up near the middle of the road where the gravel likes to hang out.

Seriously mate, consider a Bikesafe course or some advanced training. You'll be more than glad you did.

If you're after a V twin, I dunno what to suggest. There's the Versys 650, but it's not a knee-down bike. Street Triples start at £3k. A CB500 might work for you, but they're really hard to find now. What about an SV650?

" I fancy a v twin, I've never ridden one before, but it has to check all the boxes of being able to knee down, but be stable on ice. I could ride the GPZ 500s like that... even if it was lethal with the bouncy castle front suspension, I could ride to work and keep it upright. Where my ZX6R and GSXR, the front would go and there was no way of saving it on ice, they were too heavy and it put you over the front with the weight." I think this probably ticks a number of your boxes .

Polish_20201001_190131138.thumb.png.a5735ce187d73e57e4d3361b5e3139ce.png

I don’t know if it’s actually helpful for you but if I had a £4K max budget for a bike I’d be buying a 954 Fireblade, brilliant bikes.

Can you get your knee down on ice though ?

Why look for one bike that will suit all you want, for £4k you could pick up two..

I have a 2001 R1 for good days and a ratty but mechanically sound Honda silverwing scooter for wet weather.

Paid £1800 for R1 and £750 for the scooter.

TBH though I wouldn't take either in icy weather, just know when to quit and take the car.

I don’t know if it’s actually helpful for you but if I had a £4K max budget for a bike I’d be buying a 954 Fireblade, brilliant bikes.

Good question, I want to know how many riders on this forum actually goes out and practices this when the roads are icy!

Don’t be silly, you can get everything down on ice! :lol: .