1st ride since vertigo

The GOAT

Well this year had been totally crap for many reasons.

Not ridden since last September as this was when I got my 1st vertigo attack which was really savage and recovery took about 2 months and in that time I couldn't drive/ride or even work. It affected my memory also which to this day is still a struggle.

Just starting NHS treatment now, so I'm hoping they can find a problem somewhere.

Had to sell my beloved R1250 GSA after only 7 months of ownership and lost 7k in the process :crybaby: I guess that's my own fault for buying something so expensive in the 1st place.

Anyways during furlough I felt better so being motorbike less I took to my trusty push bike and did some epic rides without traffic in the lakes which is only comparable to the day Princess Diana died in terms of how quiet the roads actually were.

This was perfectly fine and for the most part I felt normal, I pulled up on a jetty on Coniston and the movement of water made me feel a bit off but otherwise as seemed well.

Fast Forward to June and I literally got off furlough only to be hit with the mother of all attacks, what caused this?? It literally came for nowhere and felt like i'd got hit from Mike Tyson.

The room started spinning to the point I couldn't stand up, fell over, threw up everywhere! It felt like the attack lasted hours but the reality is that it's a few seconds but the effects go on for a good while. In my case the room didn't stop spinning for 1 full week and in that time I just sat there with my eyes closed, wobbling to the loo every now and again.

the last month has improved for sure and today I gingerly took out my new to me VFR800 out for a test ride of a cautious nature (I had informed my insurance and DLVA previously and all was well on that side).

So I managed to ride about 25 miles from Ambleside to Keswick, not so many corners and a low speed just to see if my eyes could keep up and not get stressed with movement, seemed ok and had many breaks along the route.

The VFR was very snatchy lowdown and no midrange?? I quick google suggest removing the snorkel, pair valve & flapper mod which i'll try for next time. My bike has heated grips and is the only resemblance to the GS.

It's a start! and i'm looking forward to next year :cheers:

50393526378_d82e992e89_c.jpg

Vertigo sounds bad... though it was just getting fuzzy nuts when looking over a balcony or freezing going up a ladder...

sounds a bit more positive for yourself now :thumb:

Good luck on your recovery. I've had vertigo 20 years ago & a few minor attacks after then, turned out to be Labyrinthitis, I had to avoid alcohol, caffeine & nicotine.

Interesting the VFR is low on mid range :scratch:

Blimey mate that's truly awful. Glad to hear you were able to get out.

Our dog had it just like you, but dogs are more longsuffering than us humans and she was never really into motorbikes. :wink:

I really admire your courageous spirit . Many would have called it a day given what you have faced . Might be time to consider a more laid back style of bike . Dare I suggest a Harley Sportster .

How awful for you!!! Happened to a friend of mine. She was soinning round inside her car vomiting everywhere plus loss of other functions. A builder working nearby came to her rescue. Ohoned for an ambulance. He took her car away and had it all valeted and it was waiting for her with a big bunch of flowers and a get well card !!!

Turns out it was an infection in the flyid surrounding her brain. She fully recovered and other than an occassional slight dizziness she is completely back to normal.

Good luck with your recovery and well done getting back out on the bike !!!