41 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you crashed on a motorbike in the last 10 years

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-7
    • 8-10
    • More than 10

Oh dear, I'm on 4 already since 2017 :shock:

Not including crashing into the barrier and coming off during cbt, as that was off road. Maybe should have taken the hint though :roll:

1st - coming off a roundabout, seea guy about to step into the road on a zebra crossing (still don't think these should be across roundabout exits) slam on the brakes.. rear wheel slides regains traction and high side.. uninjured and milk in my backpack unburst!

2nd - passenger in taxi opens her door into me. No injuries but took ages to sort insurance as the taxi driver wouldn't admit fault even though the passenger had opened the door randomly in the middle of the road.

3rd - lost it from under me on a roundabout. Weird uneven surface on the inside lane but still, my fault. Smashed both mirrors.

4th - too fast round a roundabout.

Proving I'm an idiot and don't learn! Uninjured. Crashed in front of a whole queue of traffic, very embarrassing sliding along behind the bike!

Something I've noticed, if you get back up immediately no-one will pay you any mind or offer help.

Not including crashing into the barrier and coming off during cbt, as that was off road. Maybe should have taken the hint though :roll:

1st - coming off a roundabout, seea guy about to step into the road on a zebra crossing (still don't think these should be across roundabout exits) slam on the brakes.. rear wheel slides regains traction and high side.. uninjured and milk in my backpack unburst!

2nd - passenger in taxi opens her door into me. No injuries but took ages to sort insurance as the taxi driver wouldn't admit fault even though the passenger had opened the door randomly in the middle of the road.

3rd - lost it from under me on a roundabout. Weird uneven surface on the inside lane but still, my fault. Smashed both mirrors.

Proving I'm an idiot and don't learn! Uninjured. Crashed in front of a whole queue of traffic, very embarrassing sliding along behind the bike!

Something I've noticed, if you get back up immediately no-one will pay you any mind or offer help.

4 in 3 years?

I'd got to about 20 by then!

All mine were over 10 years ago, one of them I ended up in hospital for a couple of days, I highsided in a roundabout and landed on my shoulder, completely shattered my collarbone into a few different pieces and had to have a plate to put it all back together properly.

Have you forgot the field at the rally :lol:

Twice since 1980, but only once since 1981.

First was youthful inexperience, gravel on a roundabout. And the second was at Mummelsee when the German pensioner pulled out in front of me and I had no alternative but to cause €10,000 worth of damage to his car. I was kind though and turned down the offer of allowing the polizei to prosecute him for attempted murder. They were really quite keen on the idea.

Twice since 1980, but only once since 1981.

First was youthful inexperience, gravel on a roundabout. And the second was at Mummelsee when the German pensioner pulled out in front of me and I had no alternative but to cause €10,000 worth of damage to his car. I was kind though and turned down the offer of allowing the polizei to prosecute him for attempted murder. They were really quite keen on the idea.

If we followed that policy most of the school run drivers would be behind bars.

I'm looking forward to the temperature dropping and ice forming on the roads . This year I have decided to crash four times . I've already started buying up GPZ 500's and knee sliders . It's quite easy once you get the technique right . Just find an icy road and set aside all thoughts of self preservation and public safety while flicking the bike nonchalantly into a corner . Whoosh , scrape , bang ! Easy .

I'm looking forward to the temperature dropping and ice forming on the roads . This year I have decided to crash four times . I've already started buying up GPZ 500's and knee sliders . It's quite easy once you get the technique right . Just find an icy road and set aside all thoughts of self preservation and public safety while flicking the bike nonchalantly into a corner . Whoosh , scrape , bang ! Easy .

Excellent, unfortunately you want the

"how many times are you going to crash poll"

You should let us all know when you were planning on doing it and sell tickets to spectate. Need to have some special effects like blood bags and make a real buck or two.

I don't own a bike yet.. so have not fallen off one yet.

I was under the impression it is inevitable I will fall off.. fall over.. or crash..

Is there hope for me - or does everyone fall somehow in the first year?!

I don't own a bike yet.. so have not fallen off one yet.

I was under the impression it is inevitable I will fall off.. fall over.. or crash..

Is there hope for me - or does everyone fall somehow in the first year?!

It is not an inevitability it is a risk, ride like a tit beyond your skills and that risk will increase to the when not if.

Ride sensibly, keep learning, take nothing for granted, keep the bike in good order, expect every other road user is going to try and hit you or not see you and it all becomes a much lower risk.

Had my 1st crash today...only passed CBT 2 weeks ago :( not quite sure what I did wrong but went to turn right from lights it was a long turn as was a filter and I slowly went round i think I went up to 2nd but felt myself drifting and not turning right...not sure what happened next but bike went from under me....no real injuries except for a few cuts , whacked helmet on floor and my feckin right arms now kills ! Also scratched bike and smashed mirror...2 nice people stopped for me to see i was ok ..feel like a dick now

I went up to 2nd but felt myself drifting and not turning right...

Sounds like you were starting to run wide (possibly in too high a gear) then target fixation kicked in - where you focussed on where you were now heading rather than where you actually wanted to go.

Always be in a lower gear than what you would normally think on a tighter corner as it'll help to prevent overrunning.

So should I have remained in first gear ?

Impossible to say without actually seeing the environment you were in, or how your bike is geared.

It's just that it sounds like the bike was running away from you......which is usually caused by too high a gear.

Get in the right gear prior to entering the bend........get on the right line for maximum visibility.......look where you want to go.......then maintain a consistent throttle throughout it if possible.

As you start the exit then increase throttle and move through the gears.

Sorry to hear you had a smash, bet you are shaken. After a bit of time have a think about where hurts. Adrenaline might mask an injury.

Regarding what happened it would be hard for anyone to second guess I think. How well do you know the junction? Is it on a bus route (maybe bits of diesel and or oil deposits particularly I f a tight turn where vehicles may have had to stop to wait for their turn), is there any toad furniture like drain covers which may have low friction in the wet?

Did the front wheel slide or the rear?

Had my 1st crash today...only passed CBT 2 weeks ago :( not quite sure what I did wrong but went to turn right from lights it was a long turn as was a filter and I slowly went round i think I went up to 2nd but felt myself drifting and not turning right...not sure what happened next but bike went from under me....no real injuries except for a few cuts , whacked helmet on floor and my feckin right arms now kills ! Also scratched bike and smashed mirror...2 nice people stopped for me to see i was ok ..feel like a dick now

Weather conditions today are atrocious. It's possible to here was something on the road surface that got slippery withe the rain. Diesel, oil, drain cover, road repair edging, plastic bag, gravel, white lines or road markings, the list is endless. It's all part of the fun of using two wheels on what are badly maintained roads. Hope you're ok, it's a steep learning curve when you first start.

But sometimes things happen that you just can't fathom out.......I'm still none the wiser on this.

Notice the screen shaking from side to side?

I'd already taken a lower gear before hitting the bend so when I killed the throttle the bike didn't overrun.

Did you change gear during the turn if you did that is probably why, always complete a maneuver before changing gears :thumb:

Yes almost as soon as I left lights I went up to second and just felt myself going not right enough....maybe I braked then bang ! Yes def a steep learning curve.. .had to fess up to the missus as well....

Did you change gear during the turn if you did that is probably why, always complete a maneuver before changing gears :thumb:

Yes almost as soon as I left lights I went up to second and just felt myself going not right enough....maybe I braked then bang ! Yes def a steep learning curve.. .had to fess up to the missus as well....

Get a cam! May be good for you at this stage to analyse things.