Pinlock and prescription glasses

Hi all,

I have a new helmet which has a pin lock with it. I haven't fitted it yet as it "strongly" advises in the pinlock manual that the vise or should not be opened when riding as it risks moisture, etc getting between the visor and pinlock. I wear perspecription glasses so find in colder and wet weather my glasses steam up, especially at traffic lights. So I need to pop the visor open to stop glasses from fogging up. I have bought some muc off anti fog which will arrive on Tuesday and will give that a go.

I welcome any advice from others who have a similar situation to mine, or any experiences that other have had.

Thanks.

Edited by Robik

I’ve always opened my visor and never had a problem. If the pin lock is correct for the visor and fitted properly then it should create a watertight seal. That’s a necessary side effect of its primary function.

Thanks all.

Are you meant to adjust the pins (if needed) with the pinlock fitted or when it isn't fitted (i.e, fit it then check seals, if needs adjusting, remove the pinlock, adjust the pins, then refit)?

I assume that the pinlock isnt strong enough to adjust the pins with the pinlock fitted.

Also, curious if anyone ever experienced leaks between seal and visor.?

If it's a genuine pinlock I've never had a problem. As a general rule they are fit and forget. I had issues with one helmet where the manufacturer fitted a pinlock clone which wasn't as good and did get moisture between the visor and it. I replaced with a genuine pinlock and never a problem since. I wear glasses and sometimes ride with my visor open, no problems. What make is your helmet?

I can see Pinlocks logic air hitting seal at speed could force air under Pinlock.

Also guessing for air to force under Pinlock you would have to have it wide open at speed. Not just cracked a little to demist your glasses...

I have used Pinlock for 5 years not known this issue exists...

Hat to HJC's never had and issue..

I have HJC and pinlock and wear glasses not had a problem. Husband has a Caberg and pinlock and glasses and after a year his pinlock has just failed. Sooo....... 🤷‍♀️ having said that he talks a lot and i dont. And i only crank mine open a teeny bit at traffic lights. He probs opens his wide, like his mouth 😁

I have HJC and pinlock and wear glasses not had a problem. Husband has a Caberg and pinlock and glasses and after a year his pinlock has just failed. Sooo....... 🤷‍♀️ having said that he talks a lot and i dont. And i only crank mine open a teeny bit at traffic lights. He probs opens his wide, like his mouth 😁

:D

Thanks. I will fit it and give it ago.

I have a Caberg with a genuine pinlock and wear glasses. My original pinlock fell out on the motorway when I opened the visor too wide at speed, but to be fair I suspect I hadn't adjusted the pins properly so it was slightly looser than it should have been.

The have changed the design of the pins since then so they are easier to adjust. I've just replaced the visor and pinlock and the newer version is a better fit.

I often open my visor slightly but I've never had moisture forced between the pinlock and the visor.

I have a Caberg with a genuine pinlock and wear glasses. My original pinlock fell out on the motorway when I opened the visor too wide at speed, but to be fair I suspect I hadn't adjusted the pins properly so it was slightly looser than it should have been.

The have changed the design of the pins since then so they are easier to adjust. I've just replaced the visor and pinlock and the newer version is a better fit.

I often open my visor slightly but I've never had moisture forced between the pinlock and the visor.

I have the 3 part pins. How you you adjust them? Do you loosen the screw and twist with your fingers. I don't have the tool that is shown the pinlock videos.

Do you adjust them with the pinlock fitted to the visor or with the visor out?

I have a hjc is17 for 3 years now. Same pinlock since day 1. No issue with the visor fogging. I open and close the visor throughout my commute.

My glasses on the other hand do fog a lot hense the opening of my visor. If I could get a pinlock for my specs I would. Using glasses cleaner before setting off seems to help the specs from fogging for a while.

I ride right through every winter with a pin lock visor, only ever had a problem once and that was my own fault, I basically didn’t install it properly , other than that no problems at all

I have the 3 part pins. How you you adjust them? Do you loosen the screw and twist with your fingers. I don't have the tool that is shown the pinlock videos.

Do you adjust them with the pinlock fitted to the visor or with the visor out?

You adjust once you have fitted the pinlock. You may not need to adjust them though.

Just go outside with your lid on and breath heavily and quickly (make sure there are no neighbours around first)

If the seal is not spot on your direct vision will steam up.

You can use a pair of pliers to turn the pins if you are careful (if I have remembered correctly about the HJC ones. Not owned one for 5 years)

Edited by fullscreenaging

I’m on my third lid that comes with pinlock and imho it’s gash. They work for a week, but then they’ve been ripped out and replaced with a smear of washing up liquid. Overpriced, overrated, over there in the bin.

I’m on my third lid that comes with pinlock and imho it’s gash. They work for a week, but then they’ve been ripped out and replaced with a smear of washing up liquid. Overpriced, overrated, over there in the bin.

Weird. Mine have all lasted years.

Weird. Mine have all lasted years.

First one always slipped down. Second one wasn’t a perfect seal so breath misted between it and the visor. Current lid, first bit of bad weather and I couldn’t see out of the bottom third Of my field of view.

Deffo a rabbit away somewhere. None of my pinlocks have ever been anything other than good. They definitely don't steam up and have never slipped once in position. My "backup" helmet has no pinlock and it regularly steams up hence I only use it for short runs in fine weather with the visor partly open.

If you ride with the visor open for a long time with a pinlock insert, then the pinlock gets covered with a thin traffic grime film. As the pinlock is soft, absorbent plastic, I don't think it ever comes properly clean.

If you ride with the visor open for a long time with a pinlock insert, then the pinlock gets covered with a thin traffic grime film. As the pinlock is soft, absorbent plastic, I don't think it ever comes properly clean.

Does it make a difference how open the visor is ?

I have on occasions with Arai's had the pinlock lose its seal randomly. XD4 and RX7v. The XD4 was a nightmare because of the curvature of the visor.

Now I just crack it open every now and again when tootling along under 50mph just to clear some of the moisture out the lid and unless it is hammering down leave the brow vents open a crack.

The biggest issue I always had was glasses fogging as soon as the temperature dropped below 15 degrees and having tried everything under the sun took a punt on the below. The mind is now blown that these actually work really really well (to a point) if you are heavy breathing and its raining with the visor locked down you do get condensation on the glasses after about 30 minutes which I think is an acceptable compromise! So I pull over and give them a wipe and then carry on. In normal dryish cold conditions, they last all day without a hint of fogging and as the wipe is on my bike could re-apply if needed!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4JRFL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one in my bike, one in the car, one on my desk and 2 spare for when the others run out. They clean the glasses really well and once a week I give the glasses a proper clean with water to take the coating off to start fresh.

I use them all the time now and I can even see what I am doing in the bathroom after taking a shower! Also great at the moment with wearing a mask indoors and they don't leave a sheen that halos in the dark with on coming headlights.