Top Tip .

fastbob

Top Tip . If you are stripping your bike and you come across a 10mm bolt that's rounded off don't despair . Just reach for a 3/8" socket from your Harley tool box or pop out and buy one . A quick bash with a hammer to get it on and a few taps with an Impact Driver attached and , hey presto ! The project marches onwards . ( 3/8 " is 9.525 mm )

I have a set of sockets with sliding bits on the flats which grip rounded nuts. They work quite well so long as the nut isn't totally seized. Also handy on Japanese cars which sometimes use weird sized fastenings. Much of the time I end up using imperial sockets on them anyway.

Good tip :thumb:

I usually use these bolt-grip sockets on rounded nuts.

unnamed.jpg.1d2037efda1e59fb68edab6ed98c4129.jpg

Though sometimes I find I don't quite have the right size one to grip onto the nut properly. I might need to expand my collection :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

Good tip :thumb:

I usually use these bolt-grip sockets on rounded nuts.

unnamed.jpg

Though sometimes I find I don't quite have the right size one to grip onto the nut properly. I might need to expand my collection :lol:

Do you have a 10mm one though :thumb:

I have full set of Imperial for this reason, hammering in next nearest is normal I thought...

I also have a full set of Whitworth's as well as Metric, AF, Imperial and BA

Whitworth's usually need a larger hammer though!

:mrgreen:

Can you do the taps and dies to match?

Cannot claim full set but I have some.. I have inherited from several generations of hoarders.

Sadly I had no space for lathe that could of produced any size...

I have full set of Imperial for this reason, hammering in next nearest is normal I thought...

Cannot claim full set but I have some.. I have inherited from several generations of hoarders.

AF and Metric Taps & Dies. Full set of stud extractors, clutch compressor, two sizes of gear puller, strap wrench and a chain wrench, etc, etc. Hardest part of any job is remembering where the correct tool is stored! :thumb:

AF and Metric Taps & Dies. Full set of stud extractors, clutch compressor, two sizes of gear puller, strap wrench and a chain wrench, etc, etc. Hardest part of any job is remembering where the correct tool is stored! :thumb:

That does sound like a typical Harley Davidson tool collection . I've already had to replace the " Grenade Plate " in my clutch as a precaution so I've acquired a clutch tool . One thing I have done is replace as many Torx Bolts as possible , can't stand the things . Stud extractor I've just bought for the project ER5 but my Harley exhaust studs are in remarkably good health .

Polish_20201006_221717528.thumb.jpg.9df16268f6f6a326acc3fc06ce1f3f07.jpg